Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2023, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by travelbug2225
Do they allow you to have lunch or departure date? Good to know I thought they only allow breakfast. How much is the transfer cost to Abu Dhabi?
We found them to be embarrassingly stingy with the meals when you consider the price point. We arrived at 2pm for a 2-night stay and were asked to choose if we wanted to have lunch that day, or just have dinner later on and “save” the lunch for the day we were checking out. We chose to “save” the lunch for our checkout day. When that day came, the staff acted very confused and insisted that we had already had lunch the day we checked in, and would therefore have to pay for lunch if we wanted it “again”. Really disappointing and left a sour taste in my mouth.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by wandso
We found them to be embarrassingly stingy with the meals when you consider the price point. We arrived at 2pm for a 2-night stay and were asked to choose if we wanted to have lunch that day, or just have dinner later on and “save” the lunch for the day we were checking out. We chose to “save” the lunch for our checkout day. When that day came, the staff acted very confused and insisted that we had already had lunch the day we checked in, and would therefore have to pay for lunch if we wanted it “again”. Really disappointing and left a sour taste in my mouth.
The offer is clearly 3 meals per night - I don't see what's wrong with asking you to choose whether you want to have it upon arrival or departure. It's no different from arriving at 6am at a hotel on a rate which includes breakfast - you wouldn't expect two breakfasts for the same night as a matter of right (although the hotel may still choose to offer it to you).

That said, hassling you to argue about whether you did, in fact, have lunch on the first day or not is annoying and surprising - it should require no more than a firm response clearly stating your position, to let the staff then figure out the issue in the background.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 3:14 am
Accor Contributor Badge

That is very strange, we did the same thing as you. We arrived at 2pm for check-in and choose to have Lunch on checkout. Anyway 4pm they start high tea which also has plenty of food for check-in day.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 5:27 pm

I just booked this for a trip in January and am pretty excited! Any tips on which activity we should choose? Or things to avoid? I unfortunately only have one night.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by mjliangco
I just booked this for a trip in January and am pretty excited! Any tips on which activity we should choose? Or things to avoid? I unfortunately only have one night.
IMO sunset Camel Ride (evening on day of arrival) and Falconry (early next morning) is what I would pick.
friedablass likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by kumarshah
That is very strange, we did the same thing as you. We arrived at 2pm for check-in and choose to have Lunch on checkout. Anyway 4pm they start high tea which also has plenty of food for check-in day.
Yeah, that was exactly our thinking. It would have been pointless to have lunch on check-in day, given the high tea option. I’m willing to accept that it may have been just an internal miscommunication, but I certainly did not enjoy their insistence on charging us. It was also our third time visiting the property, so I like to think I’m pretty well-versed with the meal “rules” by now.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by najama2
IMO sunset Camel Ride (evening on day of arrival) and Falconry (early next morning) is what I would pick.
That's also what I would go with for my first time.

The archery is pretty fun too.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 6:17 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
I'm surprised this happened to you as they enter all of the food orders into their POS, even if no incidentals are ordered.

It might be that the staff confused you with another customer (or possibly the departing customer) or someone changed rooms. In 5 stays at Al Maha I've never had it happen to me.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by mjliangco
I also booked this trip for January. Maybe I see you there 😀. I think one of the activity I will choose is a camel 🐪 ride. We will not get a chance to do it that often plus this is a perfect place to do it.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I just came back from an amazing stay here, would really recommend it to anyone who's thinking about going. It was very hot, but the pool was great, and all activities are either early morning or around sunset when it cools off. Staff, food and setting are all amazing and well worth the money. Already thinking of coming back!

I don't have much to add to the many comments in this thread, from the looks of it nothing much has changed. But if anyone has specific questions, let me know.

A few photos:

friedablass likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Nevsky
Interesting. I have used airporttaxitransfers.com and the only problem I had was the apparent "shortcut". One driver tried to go that way a few years ago. I think it may be some local online map, as it was definitely not intentional.
I know late in on this, but airporttaxitransfers made a complete fist of our return to DXB. They got lost, wrong gate, said they were nearly there, and then 50 minutes later, said can we meet them at the security gate - which is 9km from reception. The hotel staff kindly drove us down to meet the driver else we would have been really pushing it for check in. My advice - to Al Maha, ATT are fine, on the way to DXB / AUH, use the hotel transport for peace of mind.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Just returned and was very pleased with the resort. They do send out a final email about 72 hours prior to arrival addressing what seems to be the logical entry way and to ignore GPS instructions that your driver will want to use. The meals I felt were excellent and the staff in the dining room could not have been more polite at all times!
Old Sep 14, 2023, 2:19 pm

Programs: Starwood, AA
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
That's also what I would go with for my first time.

The archery is pretty fun too.
it's extra cost, but we loved the SUV ride through the desert. it's seriously trippy and you can do it in addition to your other morning activity. You should be able to do falconry and then to the SUV ride (forget the actual name). When they recommend don't eat before, take it seriously.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 7:42 am

For the activities, is it 2 included per night? Or 2 for your total trip?
Old Nov 23, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by olouie
For the activities, is it 2 included per night? Or 2 for your total trip?
Per night, and you can do the same activities again. There’s an additional supplement for the dune driving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.