FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Sheraton Tribeca New York [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1142612-sheraton-tribeca-new-york-master-thread.html)

Antonio8069 Jul 15, 2013 5:14 am

bar is independent

Originally Posted by NYCtraveler (Post 21088597)
Greetings from the Sheraton Tribeca:
The strangest thing is that for the last 4 nights the bar keeps warning that we are unable to charge any drinks or food to our rooms? Tonight I asked to speak to a manager on duty any was told that there wasn't any? This made me somewhat uncomfortable....... Who is heading our ship I wanted to ask...but alas.....it must be no-one. All this for $40+.

So tonight after we ordered a bottle of wine in the middle of the lobby, at the bar, we were forced to pay cash. it just doesn't make sense.

Safe travels to all.

Are you referring to the rooftop bar? If so, it is operated by an independent company so no surprise they are are unable to charge to your room!

NYCtraveler Jul 15, 2013 8:45 pm

Trip Report July 2013

My normal hotel in the city is the W Union Square as I enjoy the area there very much. This trip I had multiple people and rooms and the Sheraton was offering some very good rates including breakfast and internet. As I had multiple rooms and not everyone was platinum, this was money saving and I thought the Sheraton would take good care of us. They did.

I emailed in advance with 6 or 7 reservations and they put it all together so that the comings and goings of everyone was clear and check in was made easy. Room preferences were noted and we all had rooms with nice views. Bedding was excellent and comfortable and we found the sheets to also be of high quality. Pillows were a combination of Foam and Feather which worked for everyone. AC was excelllent and for those of us who like a COLD room (like me)....the room was indeed COLD...Thankfully! Typical Sheraton amenities were provided in the bathrooms, Shine etc.

We had lounge access and we found the terrace of the lounge to be beautiful however it was very hot so we did not use it too much. Breakfast in the lounge was lovely and coffee was strong and good. Service from the Lounge helpers was excellent and all requests were met. Newspapers were provided free of charge and you could have a Times, USA or WSJ to read with your coffee. Fruits were fresh and some mornings we had blueberries and raspberries...really a lovely spread. In the evenings they offer some snacks and cheese and crackers etc however we never went there as we had reservations, shows every evening out. We enjoyed the lounge more than we thought we would and would book a lounge room upon our next trip.

Staff throughout the hotel was excellent. Everyone tried to please, said hello and always was there if we needed anything. They seemed genuinely concerned that we were having a great stay. Kudos to all of them, my group all said the same thing and was impressed by this.

If there is one complaint I have, it is the technology. I had some problems at the bar which I wrote about previously. These were soon rectified and all was well. The room keys that access the elevators seem to not work sometimes and we found ourselves riding the elevators a few times as we inserted the keys at varying speeds trying to get our keys to "take".... That was a bit awkward. Internet speeds were good/very good.

The location of this hotel is EXCELLENT. Close to all the major trains in Manhattan. Directly on the border of Soho/Tribeca/Little Italy and China Town. I only wish I had more time! So much to see and try and experiment with.

As a frequent traveler who is often on a budget, I would heartily recommend this hotel. It's location and value is tops. The rooms were well decorated and as the hotel is newish, so were the rooms. I will return and I look forward to staying at the Sheraton Tribeca. Waking in the morning overlooking Manhattan is always impressive.

Safe travels to all. Email me with any questions! Cheers!

NYC

NYCtraveler Jul 18, 2013 9:35 pm

I forgot to add

This hotel also had great rates on cars going to the airports. Waiting for Taxi's can be difficult in NYC....especially when you are on a tight schedule. Their local car service rates were only $5 to $10 more then what Taxi's have cost and they were all waiting there on time. Either a suburban or a towncar. Excellent options.

Cheers! NYC

makin'miles Feb 19, 2014 8:08 pm

Any Plats ever been upgraded to a patio room here?

CLEguy Feb 19, 2014 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by makin'miles (Post 22381175)

I stayed here regularly throughout 2012 and was never upgraded much beyond the standard room, let alone to a patio.

FlyAndLive21 Feb 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by makin'miles (Post 22381175)

My first time staying at the Sheraton Tribeca I was upgraded to the room with a terrace. Since then I have not.

keithstg Feb 24, 2014 6:48 am

I've stayed at the Sheraton Tribeca around 25 nights so far this year. While I have not been upgraded to a terrace room, I am generally upgraded to one of the more spacious deluxe rooms, and once to a jr. suite.

The staff at this property is excellent, and the rates are exceptional for NYC.

Out of my Element Mar 31, 2014 10:02 am

Stayed here on Saturday night for our first time here. Wasn't looking forward to $55 valet, but when we pulled up, the doorman pointed to the garage across the street and down about 50 feet and told us to just put it there ourselves, if we were ok with that, and we'd save "about $12" (actually $11). That made things much more reasonable.

Were able to get a room at 10:45AM, which was unexpected, it was TINY (1006). Didn't get a chance to peak in any other rooms during our short stay, but this makes rooms at the Element and 4 Points near Port Authority look big. Room is well laid out, though, and for one night was fine. If we were there a few days and wanted to unpack, that might have been difficult.

stephem May 4, 2014 10:50 pm

Spent a night here this weekend and was underwhelmed, actually pretty frustrated.

First the pros: Good location, nice for strolling around soho and tribeca. Easy access if you are coming in from the Holland tunnel as we were. Very friendly staff all around.

Now the cons: The biggest problem we had was that we had booked a jr suite months ago and even done a modest amount of inquiry to ensure it would have a view. I spent weeks in NYC at the Westin TS and send my kids home snapshots of the views from rooms I get. I really should have just gone for a suite at the Westin. We had room 505 at the Sheraton Tribeca, which I really would not expect a guest who had no status and booked on Expedia to be happy with. It's certainly not worth $500 and giving this suite to a 12+ year platinum seems like a silly choice to me. I let the hotel know this and eventually did speak to a manager who agreed to invite me back for a re-do the next time we are in town. I'm still on the fence about that. One other significant problem with the hotel included the elevators are terribly slow (compounded by the fact that one elevator was out of service and there was a bike race in town w people storing bikes in their rooms). There were a few 15-20 minute waits. Lastly, I'd take issue with the junior suite label, this was just a room with a sofa bed in it. I've been to suites in most of the NYC properties and think the Le Meridien and Westin Times Square have the best layout when I want a king plus sofa bed.

the-ca-goat Aug 3, 2014 2:55 pm

Looking for advice on the lounge....noticed that there are free hors d'eouvres, and the view looks great. Is there a happy hour? How are the drink prices?

canalskater Aug 3, 2014 8:42 pm

They treat Platinums extra special. I stayed at Easter and got "walked"
I arrived late at night, and in spite of confirming my late arrival, there was no room. Spent one night at the W and then returned. I loved the location but not impressed by management.Very small rooms . Great view from the lounge.

itsaboutthejourney Aug 4, 2014 12:56 am

Originally Posted by canalskater (Post 23305208)
They treat Platinums extra special. I stayed at Easter and got "walked"
I arrived late at night, and in spite of confirming my late arrival, there was no room. Spent one night at the W and then returned. I loved the location but not impressed by management.Very small rooms . Great view from the lounge.

Agreed. Management of this property seems to be some non-Starwood outfit that owns several other properties and doesn't really care about SPG/Starwood brand standards. That said, the lounge has a great view, espresso maker on all day and decent (for US standards) breakfast and evening spreads.

Out of my Element Sep 2, 2014 7:20 am

Stayed here on Saturday and Sunday nights and had an excellent stay. Arrived around 11AM on Saturday morning, and desk agent offered us a choice of two different rooms. We chose one, she acknowledged our Gold status and apologized for not having an SPG floor room for us, so she was going to comp us Club access. Told her I was going to ask for it as it was our anniversary that day, she congratulated us and finished the check in process. We dropped our stuff and headed out to explore for the day. Got back to our room a bit after midnight and found a tray of chocolate covered strawberries and a nice card for our anniversary. Never had that done at any hotel, boutique, St. Regis, nothing.

Club was great. Views are spectacular (might be a good place for 4th of July fireworks, regardless of which river they shoot them from). Breakfast was good, evening hors d'oeuvres were very good (fried rice, chicken or shrimp potstickers, veggies and dip, cheese and crackers, affordable wine to purchase by the glass.

Other than the elevators, which can be quite slow to arrive, we had an awesome stay. And at a good $100 less than the Westin Grand Central (which was the 2nd cheapest SPG in Manhattan this weekend), it was very affordable.

Eastbay1K Jan 11, 2015 3:47 pm

Is there a good reason to ask for an SNA in this property? I've stayed there the past 2 years and have had a tiny room on a high floor with a great view. More space would be nice, but perhaps not at the expense of the view, nor only if it is a bit more space.

MSPeconomist Jan 12, 2015 3:39 am

Don't do it for a junior suite. The window looks into what seems like an airshaft and the room itself isn't particularly attractive, nor does it have a good floor plan.