FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Sheraton Tribeca New York [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1142612-sheraton-tribeca-new-york-master-thread.html)

jdawg Mar 6, 2011 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by leonard016 (Post 15985266)
It is weird. As of now I still see it as Cat 5. Maybe that was a "mistake" and they fixed it?

Per Starwood Lurker's last minute correction post to the category adjustment list, Sheraton Tribeca is staying at Category 5. :(

hungarianhc Mar 9, 2011 9:29 pm

Hi All,

I just finished up a three night stay at the Sheraton Tribeca. I'm an SPG Gold right now, working on Platinum, and I decided to give this place a shot for my recent business trip to NY. I picked it because the pre-paid rate was only like $204/night, which is pretty ridiculous for a major name brand in Manhattan.

Lobby:
I found the lobby to be really nice. I never ate at the restaurant, but there's free wifi and computers to get online. There's also a decent hotel bar that had a some sort of action every night.

Gym:
The gym sucks. There are probably three treadmills, a couple elliptical machines, and one combo weight machine. There are no free weights.

Room:
The room was small, like most NY hotel rooms, but it was fine. I wasn't impressed in any way, but I wasn't horrified by the lack of space... maybe I'm just used to being in small NY hotel rooms all the time. I was on the 20th floor and had a pretty spectacular view of the Empire State Building and Midtown skyline.

Annoyance:
I had a lot of work / phone calls to take care of from the hotel room on Monday. There was a loud drilling noise in my ceiling and it took many calls to get a room change. By the time I was offered a room change, it was after 5PM and the workers had left. I declined.

Neighborhood: Some people have described the neighborhood as seedy. It's not. It's also not Times Square. It's not midtown. It's not downtown. It's just a normal neighborhood that is actually a very close walk to the hip spots in SOHO. You're also very close to Chinatown. It is true that there aren't that many great places to eat within a 2 block radius, though. It is a VERY short walk to the A,C,E subway line so you can get to midtown in no time at all.

Conclusion: I try to be the best corporate citizen I can while still maintaining my brand loyalty. With this place being so cheap, it was worth it. I'm not going to go out and say, "oh stay here!" but if you're an SPG person and you see a great rate here, don't fear the property... it's just fine...

PanAmWT Mar 10, 2011 3:44 am

This hotel does not give platinum upgrade to suite. When we checked in on 2/25 late night and asked if we get a suite upgrade for platinum, the counter agent simply said you are upgraded. Upon moving into the room it was a small room. Asked the counter and was told that this is an upgrade from a standard room to a "delux" room. While in the room checking avaiability, several junior suites were for sale on the starwood web page. Obviously the hotel intentionally not upgrade platiums to suite, as indicated by prevouis posts. Since we did pay a dirt cheap a pre-paid nonrefundable rate, we decided not to pursue the matter.

boston aa flyer Mar 10, 2011 8:58 pm

check in was LOVELY
they did upgrade me but not to a suite
restaurant and bar staff are GREAT

perfectly fine hotel for a biz traveller in NYC.

and quite frankly... given the opposing trends of of location/pricing/service... it's perfectly placed IMO

if there is budget for W Downtown.. .i'm there... otherwise... this is perfectly lovely

hotelfanatic Mar 10, 2011 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by hungarianhc (Post 16006610)
Gym:
The gym sucks. There are probably three treadmills, a couple elliptical machines, and one combo weight machine. There are no free weights.

I agree! As you said - no free weights. They finally put a large matt for streching. Also, I could not get either of the 2 TVs to work.

Originally Posted by hungarianhc (Post 16006610)
Room:
I was on the 20th floor and had a pretty spectacular view of the Empire State Building and Midtown skyline.

Annoyance:
There was a loud drilling noise in my ceiling and it took many calls to get a room change. By the time I was offered a room change, it was after 5PM and the workers had left. I declined.

Since you are on the 20th floor facing north, you were right under the out door patio. They just started putting up a glass barriers around the patio hence the construction noise. Unfortunely your spg level did not give u access to the lounge/patio. But if you had, you would have enjoyed one of the best outdoor views of manhattan. Also, the lounge staff are some of the best in the city.

Overall, I really like this hotel and especially when I was able to snatch a $120 Non-Refundable rate last Thurs ^

asforza Mar 10, 2011 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by onfillmore (Post 15951106)
Sorry, my apologies....its 58th St (Tao) where it ends:D:D

I eat regularly when in NYC at Hale & Hearty which is good but theres no way I would venture up to 125th to eat:confused::confused:

Sorry: There is a Starbucks on 125th I have been to...nothing else

I live uptown, and there are plenty of great places up here to eat. We just don't tell the non-New Yorkers about them.

cawhite Mar 11, 2011 10:56 am

I had a one-night stay here earlier this week. No PLT upgrade other than to the 19th floor with a view of the buildings one block over, although I did have access to the Club Lounge (which was appreciated). The property staff was friendly and helpful enough. Note: by 9:30am all newspapers had been picked up from in front of guest rooms (I didn't see them left in an accessible place such as near the elevator), so if you want your newspaper be sure to pick it up early rather than waiting until later.

hotelfanatic Mar 11, 2011 12:50 pm

125th Harlem - red rooster

Originally Posted by onfillmore (Post 15951106)
Sorry, my apologies....its 58th St (Tao) where it ends:D:D

I eat regularly when in NYC at Hale & Hearty which is good but theres no way I would venture up to 125th to eat:confused::confused:

Sorry: There is a Starbucks on 125th I have been to...nothing else

Wow - I think you might have to revise your itinerary on your next trip to NYC and give us your opinion on Red Rooster on 125th.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/09/di...rooster&st=cse

Andaz Wall & Water only rec a 1 * review from the Times and RR rec 2 *s. 2* is a big deal. Not sure what Tao rec

UPDATE: Obama just had a fund raising event at the Red Rooster last week. The cost was a little high for my taste - I will go another time :)

TimMeineke Apr 5, 2011 10:58 am

Spent two nights there last week. I checked in after 11pm and didn't want to eat at the not so appetizing deli next door, so i headed over to Chinatown. I could only find one place open, on Canal Street. The food there was not great. So not a lot of late night food options close by (it was raining so I didnt hunt harder)

Overall I thought the hotel was very nice. The rooms were small for sure, and I didn't like that the noisy fan in the bathroom turned on when you turn on the sink light (IMO it should be linked to the shower light). But everything was new and undamaged, and the TV remote was fairly responsive (I dont have an HD TV at home, so it's hard for me to understand when it takes two seconds to go from channel to channel).

The lounge on 21 was nice and not overcrowded. There was a good selection including scrambled eggs, and some fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, etc.

The hotel is not next to anything, but with Soho, Chinatown and Tribeca (I ate at the Odeon the second night, a short walk away), and with large subway stops 2 blocks in either direction, there is a lot accessible from here (i.e. more things are accessible from here than the element TS or the 4Pts Soho Village)

So I think that when the SNYHT is too expensive, this place is my new backup over the 4Pts Chelsea

bigguyinpasadena Apr 5, 2011 5:27 pm

Thanks for the review Tim-I will keep this place in mind

JBauer Sep 6, 2011 1:25 am

Basic, Basic hotel

Stayed as a Plat for the first time last weekend with the wife. It is a 'fine' and basic hotel. I got the usual ''upgrade'' from a basic room to a club floor -- still dont really consider this an upgrade- but nevertheless. This hotel is in a great location for shopping. Next to Broadway and Soho -- some great places within walking distance...There is a club lounge which is very nice and has a great patio, BUT no free alcohol! Which basically renders this lounge useless except for a basic cold breakfast in the morning. What's the point? Might as well go to a nice bar...The rooms here are fine. Basic. Nothing fancy...Staff was friendly...Ultimately, good location for shopping -- and if you want to get away from Times SQ.

aussiechris Sep 6, 2011 2:54 am

Originally Posted by JBauer (Post 17061522)
BUT no free alcohol! Which basically renders this lounge useless except for a basic cold breakfast in the morning. What's the point? Might as well go to a nice bar....

It's like inviting someone to your daughters wedding but charging them for drinks.
I must admit I have never stayed at a Hotel that charges for drinks!

JBauer Sep 6, 2011 9:02 am

haha

yes, soo true! just insulting...'If you are eligible, we invite you to our Club lounge to join us and pay us for drinks'

Even in Moscow the drinks are free in the lounge for a 'happy hour'

shameful

TheEyeTie Nov 22, 2011 11:04 am

Hi all,

Quick question please. The Sheraton Tribeca has rates of $149 for this coming weekend. I'm currently booked at the 4P Midtown for a rate of $160. When considering the wi-fi charge, the rates are pretty much similar. Should I choose the Sheraton over the 4P?

Many thanks!

IBAG.

jdawg Nov 24, 2011 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by ItalyBAGold (Post 17498292)
Hi all,

Quick question please. The Sheraton Tribeca has rates of $149 for this coming weekend. I'm currently booked at the 4P Midtown for a rate of $160. When considering the wi-fi charge, the rates are pretty much similar. Should I choose the Sheraton over the 4P?

Many thanks!

IBAG.

What are you looking to do in Manhattan? The location of the Four Points Midtown is better for tourist attractions imo (and I love the beds, odd random fact).