Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal – All-Inclusive, Costa Rica [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal – All-Inclusive, Costa Rica [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2011, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by HomerJ
...as we are considering this property for a stay in Oct.
Would love an update as well. Currently booked at Four Seasons, though I'm tempted to stay loyal to SPG.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:27 am

kids 4-11 are $135/each per nite

called for award booking, about 23,000 pts per nite all inclusive for 2 adults
then they want $135/each for kids 4-11 per nite
so 3 nites is 69,000 pts + $270x2x3 for 2 kids

does it make sense to get 2 rooms with points,
Old Sep 21, 2011, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by flyer12345
called for award booking, about 23,000 pts per nite all inclusive for 2 adults
then they want $135/each for kids 4-11 per nite
so 3 nites is 69,000 pts + $270x2x3 for 2 kids

does it make sense to get 2 rooms with points,
69,000 points can convert into 84,000 British Air miles, just shy of a Cathay round-trip business class award between the US and anywhere in Asia (100,000 miles). Street value of that award measures between $5 and $10,000. This is the threshold I apply.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; VIA Privilege
Just got back

Everyone
I just got back from my stay in Westin Playa Conchal.
As I mentioned, I will write up detailed report of this resort in a short while.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by gates1580
Everyone
I just got back from my stay in Westin Playa Conchal.
As I mentioned, I will write up detailed report of this resort in a short while.
I'd be interested in seeing photos if you don't mind posting.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:34 pm

How to upload photos?

Can someone explain to me how to upload photos into my posts? As requested, I am going to write a trip report with photos included. But haven't uploaded photos to this site before.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by gates1580
Can someone explain to me how to upload photos into my posts? As requested, I am going to write a trip report with photos included. But haven't uploaded photos to this site before.
very easy.. you see the symbols directly above when you want to create a new thread or reply? it's the 4th symbol from the right side on the bottom row
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:00 pm

Westin Playa Conchal Trip Report

Here it goes:

Reservation: I reserved a room in this resort using my points. I used 64500 points for three nights. The room type on the reservation confirmation email said 'Deluxe Junior Suite'. This is the standard room type in this resort.

Reaching There: My wife and I decided to land in san jose and drive from there, mostly to enjoy the scenic drive. We rented a 4x4 mid size suv from Avis in san jose with GPS.
Garmin GPS could not recognize when I searched for 'Westin Resort'. But it did recognize when I searched for 'Paradisus'. So, I guess, GPS maps need to be updated with the latest data. I reported this back to Avis.
The good thing is there are sign boards to Westin on the inter-american highway (aka Route 1) from about 120 kms from the destination.
When you reach the resort, you will see a big sign saying 'Reserva Conchal'. See the photo below:

Reception: We followed the sign boards and drove to the reception. But reception has been shifted to the Royal Beach Service building. This could just be a temporary shift. I am not sure about this. When we arrived, our car was taken by the valet and we were driven in the resort's vehicle to the new reception.
The mode of transport within the resort is a modified open air pick up truck. I actually felt like riding in a chariot while sitting in one of those.

At the reception, we were greeted by a receptionist and were given welcome drinks (passion fruit juice which is very good). She sat us at a table and explained the details about our stay, the details about the resort and what is included and what is not included in the 'All Inclusive' rate that I booked. She handed us bracelets to put around the wrists which signifies that you paid an 'All Inclusive' rate. See the picture of the bracelet below.

Our bracelet was gold in color. I also saw green colored bracelets on some guests. I am not sure what that color signifies.

Room Types: The room types are -
Deluxe Junior Suite
Royal Beach Room
Royal Beach Suite
I only saw the above three types while I was there.
SPG website also shows photos of another type:
Royal Beach Villa

Royal Beach Suite: The Royal beach club is adults only. There are two buildings as part of Royal Beach Club - K1 and K2. K1 is under renovation. So, all guests who booked a royal beach room were assigned to K2 building.
Being a platinum member, I was upgraded to a Royal Beach Suite. It was on the third floor (the highest floor) of the building.
There are two main differences between rooms on third floor vs rooms on first and second floor:
1. The rooms on third floor have combined balcony for living room and bedroom vs the balconies for rooms on first and second floor were split with a wall.
2. The other major difference is that there is a open air jacuzzi in the balcony of the rooms on third floor. The rooms on first and second floor don't have a jacuzzi in their balconies.

Our suite had 1 living room + 1 full bath and 1 bed room + 1 full bath. Living room had full set of furniture with two couches, set of coffee tables and a tv. Bed room had 1 king size bed , business table, side tables and 1 tv. The bath room attached to the bed room had 1 stand in shower and a separate bath rub. Rest room was also a separate room. All toileteries were standard Westin brand.

Jacuzzi: I will have to make a special mention of this. On one of the evenings while going for dinner, I asked the floor concierge to turn on the jacuzzi in our balcony. When we came back, we both were literally stunned. He not only filled it up but decorated it with flowers and had a bottle of champagne chilled in ice bucket with two champagne glasses. This totally blew our mind.

Pool: There are two pools in this resort. The main pool is open to all guests. I didn't go there. So, I don't have anything to write about it. The second pool is the one near the Royal Beach Club. This is adults only. I must say this is one of the biggest pools I have seen so far. The best feature of the pool was the swim up bar and under water stools. You can swim up to the bar and sit on those stools while you enjoy your drink. Drinks were unlimited as part of the 'All Inclusive' rate. Some people I met at the pool were hanging out at the bar for like 6-7 hours straight. Most of them were couples celebrating their honeymoon. The pool towel use is strictly controlled. When you borrow the towels at the pool, it is recorded and stricken off when you return them. This record is sent to the reception when you check out. So, be careful with the pool towels that you borrow and make sure you return them.

Guest Treatment: The guest treatment was top notch. I experienced it myself and also heard it from other guests staying at the resort. Each and everyone was recognized with their name by all the resort personnel.
As an added bonus of being a plat member, my name was put up on the notice board in the building I was staying.

Beach: By law, all beaches in Costa Rica are public beaches. But the conchal beach is only accessible through the westin resort, which kind of makes it a private beach for the resort. Beach is about 5 minute walk from the royal beach club building. Its very clean and white sands. You still have private vendors on the beach. It was a little cloudy the day we went to the beach.

We did 'Kayaking and Snorkeling Trip' offered by the resort and was included in the 'All Inclusive' rate.
I obtained a list of activities offered by the resort through the platinum concierge before the trip. So, I had an idea of what activities we were gonna do there.

Food: There are 4 restaurants within the resort. Mexican, Mediterranean, Asian and Italian. Only 2 out of 4 are open every day. This could just be temporary arrangement due to the off-season crowd. There is also a snack bar which is open from 11:00AM to 5:00PM.
During the three days we stayed, we ate at Mexican, Mediterranean and Italian restaurants. We didn't get a chance to go to the asian place. In terms of ratings, I would rate those three as follows:
Mexican - Best of the three I ate at. Dishes are small. It is best to order two dishes per person at this restaurant.
Italian - Above average
Mediterranean - Just average

Entertainment: Since it is difficult for the guests to go out without a vehicle, the resort does a good job of providing entertainment to its guests.They have an open air theater where either they have artists performing shows or a local live band performance every night. I would describe this as an open air lounge. They also have a bar here and 1 pool table.

Golf Course: I didn't play golf while I was there. So, I cannot comment on this part of the resort.

CONCLUSION: I would say this is one of the top level resorts of Starwood. Their facilities are top notch and their customer service is definitely one of the best I have seen.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 2:25 am

Programs: All of the Above
Great review! The Mrs and I have had our eye on this resort. I'm not sure if it's just me, but it doesnt look like the pics uploaded correctly.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:16 am

Photos

I did provide links to the photos from my flickr account using the IMG tag in the list of symbols from the 'post reply' window.
I am not sure why they won't showup.
Are the photos subject to approval by the mods?
One of the mods could shed some light on this?

Meanwhile, for those interested, you can see the photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9568458...72157627653525

Thanks
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: All of the Above
Great pics! Thanks! So question, did you just go at really odd times to take pics of the pool, beach, etc, or was there literally no one else at the resort while you where there? I'm looking to go either in July 2012 or October/November 2012. When were you there and what was the weather like? Thanks so much for your help! I can't wait to book it now!
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:02 am

Season

There are two main seasons in Costa Rica - Dry season and rainy season.
Dry season runs from November - April and rainy season runs from May - October.

So, we were there in the off-season. When I asked the floor concierge, he mentioned that there were a total of 90 people staying at the resort the week of September 17.

Also, most of the photos I took were during early morning which is another reason you don't see too many people in my pics.

Weather during the rainy season is usually sunny and bright with occasional downpours which last for an hour or so. Other than that, for the week we stayed in Costa Rica, it only rained two days and was super sunny and hot rest of the week.

If you are planning a trip, I would also recommend picking up a lonely planet book about Costa Rica from local book store. It will give you a good idea of what to expect when you reach there.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for the very detailed and informative trip report. I have reserved 4 nights in February, 3 with points and 1 paid. I am debating just using points for the fourth night in order to get a fifth night free.

It definitely is a lot of points but I think its a good usage. Looks like 21,500 a night compared to a paid stay of approx $413 which i think is for 2 adults although im not 100%. Is this for 1 adult or 2?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Howie721
Thanks for the very detailed and informative trip report. I have reserved 4 nights in February, 3 with points and 1 paid. I am debating just using points for the fourth night in order to get a fifth night free.

It definitely is a lot of points but I think its a good usage. Looks like 21,500 a night compared to a paid stay of approx $413 which i think is for 2 adults although im not 100%. Is this for 1 adult or 2?
That's 86,000 points for four nights, or enough miles for a round-trip, business class ticket almost anywhere in the world, on most OneWorld carriers (once SPG transfer bonuses are factored in). So probably $8,000 value at least (depending on flight distance). Saving $413/night (so $2,065 for five nights) while wasting $8,000 in value doesn't seem like a great transaction.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
That's 86,000 points for four nights, or enough miles for a round-trip, business class ticket almost anywhere in the world, on most OneWorld carriers (once SPG transfer bonuses are factored in). So probably $8,000 value at least (depending on flight distance). Saving $413/night (so $2,065 for five nights) while wasting $8,000 in value doesn't seem like a great transaction.
For the record, I'm not trying to sound critical. I'm merely pointing out that award stays are generally a VERY poor value relative to premium, long haul airline awards (funded by SPG currency, obviously). But that assumes that premium long haul air travel appeals to you. It does to me. For this reason, I've not redeemed points for hotel stays in several years. I just can't make the numbers work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.