Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal – All-Inclusive, Costa Rica [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal – All-Inclusive, Costa Rica [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2010, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, *Wood PLT, HHonors Gold

Did a search, could it be my first scoop.
http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/1...tin+costa+rica

Showing a May 2011, first Starwood all inclusive.

Go Blues!

Cheers,
Bill

Last edited by ResQTekBill; Feb 3, 2012 at 12:01 pm Reason: Title change to Master thread
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:26 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Continental Platinum, Star Alliance Gold
spg participation?

Anyone hear whether or not this hotel will be participating in spg? I saw on their site it said "No SPG Participation" but not sure if this is accurate or not.

Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 6:28 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by DCTravels
Anyone hear whether or not this hotel will be participating in spg? I saw on their site it said "No SPG Participation" but not sure if this is accurate or not.
It doesn't participate yet, but it almost certainly will by the time it starts taking reservations. It's normal for such a message to be presented on a hotel's webpage until the SPG category has been determined.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 6:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, DL Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver
I was at this property exactly a year ago for a week stay. Randy Johnson was also vacationing here before he announced his retirement. Was a great stay, but would have been even better to have earned points!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Platinum
Spg participation

I spoke to Platinum concierge about this today as this looks like a great summer vacation option, especially to burn some starpoints!

Platinum concierge was able to confirm that the resort WILL participate, but that the redemption level had not yet been decided.

Last edited by smatter; Dec 30, 2010 at 7:53 am
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:00 pm

Any news regarding this property or the SPG level this hotel will be? What are you guys thoughts on staying here right after it reopens?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by J_early
Any news regarding this property or the SPG level this hotel will be? What are you guys thoughts on staying here right after it reopens?
I've done this sort of thing before in the past and I've generally been pleased. Being a very early guest following a rebranding usually involves a number of quirks and the occasional misstep, but on the whole, I've found that properties are on BEST BEHAVIOR regarding Platinum upgrades, so there you have it.

Starwood will send in a "best practices team" from other properties and from corporate office to support the property in its initial month or so. As such, I have found platinum treatment to be excellent in these sorts of scenarios. YMMV

Last edited by sbtinme; Jan 11, 2011 at 3:30 pm
Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:53 pm

Any idea when the SPG category will be assigned?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:54 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by toddpate
I just tried to book a room in June only to find out the property will not be particiapting in SPG!

"No SPG participation. Starpoints will not be awarded for your stay."

What gives?!?!
Haven't seen post #5 of this thread, I'm guessing.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:57 pm

I jumped the again a bit. Any idea when a SPG category will be assigned? I am anxious to check it out!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:58 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
I jumped the again a bit. Any idea when a SPG category will be assigned? I am anxious to check it out!
LOL. Not a clue as yet.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:45 pm

Normally, I'd say before they load the rates and start accepting reservations on spg.com. But they're already accepting reservations, so I'm surprised that they haven't announced SPG participation and assigned a category already. Very unusual.

The rates are strange, though, IMO. For May 10, 2011 in a Deluxe Jr Suite, I see both a RACK rate and AAA rate of $1050 while the BAR rate is just $315. So I'm hoping that they just haven't figured out how to reorganize their rate structure yet to fit the typical Starwood model. Once they do, then they can calculate the appropriate SPG Category.

The fact that it is all-inclusive throws a wrench in SPG's award model, though. The above rates are for 1 adult. For 2 adults (which awards are to allow), the rates go up to $420 (BAR) and a whopping $1400 (RACK/AAA). I don't know how SPG is going to handle the all-inclusive aspect for award pricing. It's a new concept for them.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by sc flier
Normally, I'd say before they load the rates and start accepting reservations on spg.com. But they're already accepting reservations, so I'm surprised that they haven't announced SPG participation and assigned a category already. Very unusual.

The rates are strange, though, IMO. For May 10, 2011 in a Deluxe Jr Suite, I see both a RACK rate and AAA rate of $1050 while the BAR rate is just $315. So I'm hoping that they just haven't figured out how to reorganize their rate structure yet to fit the typical Starwood model. Once they do, then they can calculate the appropriate SPG Category.

The fact that it is all-inclusive throws a wrench in SPG's award model, though. The above rates are for 1 adult. For 2 adults (which awards are to allow), the rates go up to $420 (BAR) and a whopping $1400 (RACK/AAA). I don't know how SPG is going to handle the all-inclusive aspect for award pricing. It's a new concept for them.
When I tried June dates there was no price difference between 1 and 2 adults.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 6:51 am

Current rates from Paradisus.com for late April before they make the switch to Westin:
1 adult: $332
2 adults: $478
(difference: $146 for the additional person)

Room rates include 13% tax and 10% service charge.

I haven't come across Astrophsx's find.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by sc flier
Current rates from Paradisus.com for late April before they make the switch to Westin:
1 adult: $332
2 adults: $478
(difference: $146 for the additional person)

Room rates include 13% tax and 10% service charge.

I haven't come across Astrophsx's find.
You are correct, it does jump up after adding the second person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.