Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:25 am
JWL

Programs: SPG Gold
Approved!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: AC MM SE; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
mine took the 60 seconds to approve.

Its my 3rd AMX card. Have aeroplan plus and a low limit no fee no points regular one i sometimes use on web bookings if i am concerned ( eg travel agent in little island in indonesia was the last use.) So not sure about the limit re 3 cards. After the trial year i will likely cancel aeroplan plus.

For those worried about the charge for extra card, for first year its not an issue. Just get the other person(s) to get their own card(s) (its free afterall this year) and they can transer their spg points to you (where the points are presumably more useful assumoing u have more spg status) if at same address. That means more bonus points for more joiners as well.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:43 am
JWL

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Unimpressed. The lack of out of country medical, a value of approximately $65 for me makes this card cost $185 as compared to the premium VISA cards. This is just very poor value for a card that features limited acceptance. I will take the 10,000 points but will not be renewing unless they lower the fee.
Personally, I buy out of province medical from TD separately. Covers the whole family for $162 annually.

EDIT: Rest of comments removed as they turned out to be inaccurate! Sorry about that.

Last edited by JWL; Mar 31, 2010 at 4:57 pm
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:05 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by ramsfan
mine took the 60 seconds to approve.

Its my 3rd AMX card. Have aeroplan plus and a low limit no fee no points regular one i sometimes use on web bookings if i am concerned ( eg travel agent in little island in indonesia was the last use.) So not sure about the limit re 3 cards. After the trial year i will likely cancel aeroplan plus.

For those worried about the charge for extra card, for first year its not an issue. Just get the other person(s) to get their own card(s) (its free afterall this year) and they can transer their spg points to you (where the points are presumably more useful assumoing u have more spg status) if at same address. That means more bonus points for more joiners as well.
I suspected that the csr lied to me. However, my understanding is that the Aeroplan Plus is a charge card.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:08 am

Starwood

I thought Starwood was going to email when Card was available. Did anyone get notification or did you all find it on this website?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:10 am

Amex Canada

I phone to apply over the phone and the agent said it still was not available. So I went to the website and saw the card on their list, applied and was approved right away.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:22 am

I have registered a couple times since last December and have yet to be notified by email. How did you get a registration code?

Another question does anybody know if this card is chipped? I am traveling to Europe and that is a great feature there.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
The code is on the link...

that is posted a few pages back.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Approved! I had to call in, but the agent was nice and friendly (unlike MBNA...)
She was not able to give me my approved credit limit, but she said it would be quite high!
I thought some Amex had no limits, I guess this is no black card...

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Mar 31, 2010 at 10:51 am
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:40 am
JWL

Originally Posted by Rob474
I thought Starwood was going to email when Card was available. Did anyone get notification or did you all find it on this website?
My understanding is that the emails will come out later today (and then they seem to come out in a few "waves" so not everyone gets them at the same time. They have to get the website set up first before they email links to it and it was made available this morning through their website (although some "creative" people found the unlinked pages yesterday).
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:42 am

This is a credit card, so it has a set limit. If you go over the limit and Amex authorizes the charge, there's a $29 fee.

Amex also has charge cards. These also have limits, but they are not published and offer a bit more flexibility, depending on your income and spending patterns.

Then you have the Visa Infinite cards, which are credit cards and mine at least has a set limit. However, if I go over the limit and Visa authorizes the charge, there is no fee.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by JWL
(although some "creative" people found the unlinked pages yesterday).
Hardly that creative! http://www.spg.com/canadacreditcard has been linked to the card page and the application since yesterday evening.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:49 am

Programs: AC 100K; SPG Plat (CEM); Hertz President's Circle
Just signed up. Was impressed with the quick online approval. Had high hopes for this one, but after seeing the details I'm disappointed. Still, I'll try it for the first year since the annual fee is waived and there's the 11K bonus.

I would spend $30K annually on my MBNA card, because the 5K bonus thresholds ended at $30K, so after that I'd use another card. At that same level of spend there's no real difference in points earned (in a regular year) with the AMEX except for the $120 annual fee. Spending an incremental $10K to get a free Cat 4 weekend night is hardly worth it. I can see some liking the Gold status comp, but like many of us Plats, don't really need it.

Also think it's unlikely I'll spend too much on this card given the disincentive for Canadians to use this abroad. The convert to USD then to CAD is BS.

I really wish they would have offered a points multiple when staying at an SPG property. That's what my Marriott Chase card offers.

Glad it's finally out though.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by pointswhore
Just signed up. Was impressed with the quick online approval. Had high hopes for this one, but after seeing the details I'm disappointed. Still, I'll try it for the first year since the annual fee is waived and there's the 11K bonus.

I would spend $30K annually on my MBNA card, because the 5K bonus thresholds ended at $30K, so after that I'd use another card. At that same level of spend there's no real difference in points earned (in a regular year) with the AMEX except for the $120 annual fee. Spending an incremental $10K to get a free Cat 4 weekend night is hardly worth it. I can see some liking the Gold status comp, but like many of us Plats, don't really need it.

Also think it's unlikely I'll spend too much on this card given the disincentive for Canadians to use this abroad. The convert to USD then to CAD is BS.

I really wish they would have offered a points multiple when staying at an SPG property. That's what my Marriott Chase card offers.

Glad it's finally out though.
+1 Very well said.^
Old Mar 31, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
Email to apply just arrived! My only application was not instantly approved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.