Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
If I recall correctly, it's a one time 1,000 point bonus - per the Amex Statements off of the Website.
That what I thought too -- checked last 6 statements, nothing
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by Medved
Anybody knows about a bonus for adding a supplementary cardholder? Searched both here and amex.ca -- nothing...
If I recall correctly, it's a one time 1,000 point bonus - per the Amex Statements off of the Website.
Originally Posted by Medved
That what I thought too -- checked last 6 statements, nothing
At the Starwood SPG website, there's a link that says "Add someone to your account" to earn 1,000 bonus Starpoints.
However, there's an annual fee of $50 per supplementary card. So to earn that 1,000 points, you're paying a fee that is higher than the price of buying 1,000 Starpoints (US $35).

The T&C says:
• 1,000 Bonus Starpoints will be awarded for each approved Supplementary Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card requested through the link on this page. Bonus points will be credited to your Starwood Preferred Guest Account up to 90 days after the application is approved.
• Maximum 9 Supplementary Cards.

Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
At the Starwood SPG website, there's a link that says "Add someone to your account" to earn 1,000 bonus Starpoints.
However, there's an annual fee of $50 per supplementary card. So to earn that 1,000 points, you're paying a fee that is higher than the price of buying 1,000 Starpoints (US $35).

The T&C says:
• 1,000 Bonus Starpoints will be awarded for each approved Supplementary Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card requested through the link on this page. Bonus points will be credited to your Starwood Preferred Guest Account up to 90 days after the application is approved.
• Maximum 9 Supplementary Cards.

aw, that's lame. better than nothing i guess.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
I just applied from a member's sig and realized AFTER being accepted that it now says 10,000 SPG points despite saying 21,000 points on their signature - thanks a lot guys.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:43 pm

Wow, AMEX is really cutting benefits eh

First, the AMEX Platinum losing benefits
Then, Business Gold Rewards no FYF
Now, SPG referral is only 10K welcome points vs. 21K = everyone needs to change their signature now
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung

Now, SPG referral is only 10K welcome points vs. 21K = everyone needs to change their signature now
and no avios transfer bonus, totally sucking
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Here's a fun fact. If you sign up for an SPG from YOUR OWN account ("Apply for another card") it still says 20,000... so I got LESS for a referral rofl.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by lowside67
Here's a fun fact. If you sign up for an SPG from YOUR OWN account ("Apply for another card") it still says 20,000... so I got LESS for a referral rofl.
Hahaha! As of April 1st, 3:20PM Eastern, it still says:
Earn 20,000 bonus Starpoints®*. That’s enough for up to 5 free nights.
http://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en...-to-apply.html
Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung

Oh - didn't know Gold Biz no longer offers FYF. Glad I got a churn in before they took that away!
Old Apr 6, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Amex totally neutered the SPG referral Now it's 5k for the referral, friend gets 10k. Only last week it was 10k for the referral and friend gets 21k.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: AE*SE, *AGold, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Gonna try the online application

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Hahaha! As of April 1st, 3:20PM Eastern, it still says:
Earn 20,000 bonus Starpoints®*. That’s enough for up to 5 free nights.
http://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en...-to-apply.html
I just applied and was accepted for SPG through the online link in my existing AeroPlat account.

I printed the offer page to PDF and will report back whether I get 10k or 20k SPG.

Nothing in the application process contradicted the 20k offer, so I'm hoping I can argue it if they try to give me 10k.

(First post, saving up for a miniRTW in Oct 2015, looking to ensure I have enough AP to make it happen)

Christopher
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:07 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by cwhitt

(First post, saving up for a miniRTW in Oct 2015, looking to ensure I have enough AP to make it happen)
I won't convert SPG to Aeroplan unless you are absolutely stuck.

You're going to need some hotels on your RTW and there are so many other credit card signups in Canada for Aeroplan's. The SPG points in my humble opinion are worth so much more.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:48 pm

I won't convert SPG to Aeroplan unless you are absolutely stuck.

You're going to need some hotels on your RTW and there are so many other credit card signups in Canada for Aeroplan's. The SPG points in my humble opinion are worth so much more.
Agreed.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by cwhitt
I just applied and was accepted for SPG through the online link in my existing AeroPlat account.

I printed the offer page to PDF and will report back whether I get 10k or 20k SPG.

Nothing in the application process contradicted the 20k offer, so I'm hoping I can argue it if they try to give me 10k.

Christopher
It's certainly not the way I would recommend to do it, as I would have called an Amex rep to confirm that the 20K would apply before jumping in, both feet first!

Anyway, now that you have taken the plunge, I would save more than just the PDF of the offer page...for eg., I would save the application signup URL, the one that the "Apply now online" button links to.

I'm not 100% sure, but there are codes that are part of the weblink that may be the promo/bonus codes. Here, I'll paste it into this message for your future reference, in case it disappears soon. Hope you won't need it.
https://www201.americanexpress.com/i...ent=A00000EVNN

Good luck with your application!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: AE*SE, *AGold, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
I'm not 100% sure, but there are codes that are part of the weblink that may be the promo/bonus codes. Here, I'll paste it into this message for your future reference, in case it disappears soon. Hope you won't need it.
Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I hope I won't either. Let you know how it goes in a week or so!

In the meantime, I see the logic of keeping the SPG for hotel stays. Amex marketing might have even snuck one in under my radar here, as now I'm seriously considering switching to the SPG as my primary spend card sometime later this year after I have the points to book the AP award tix. Maybe sooner if a few AP bonuses work out (distinction launch bonus, AP star challenge, maybe an Aeroplat referral or two if I'm lucky).

C

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.