Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by pokee
<snip>

This is why this card is going to get cancelled just as soon as I burn the points. It's been a monumental hassle, and I am not about to pay an annual fee to deal with this BS...

I am happy to give my money to Chase for their wonderful Marriott card. Not only is the Marriott chain larger and more accommodating, I can make reservations prior to having the points available, and I can reserve online to redeem for rooms for 4-5 people. PLUS - no forex fees! NO CONTEST! Buh-bye SPG Amex!
Why do you need to burn the points before cancelling the card? The pts are in your SPG acct, so it doesn't matter if you have the Amex or not.

Is the Chase card available in Canada?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Why do you need to burn the points before cancelling the card? The pts are in your SPG acct, so it doesn't matter if you have the Amex or not.

Many just get on their site... Sears, Amazon, Marriott...
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Who gets the points?
They do if they want to go somewhere, then I get leftovers. But then their small biz puts spend on my cards too

Yes it is.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:50 am

I ALWAYS burn points as fast as I can. That's one of the top rules of points collection. They are always devaluing, so smart to burn them fast!

I plan to transfer to LAN and use for flights!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:48 pm

Can I refer my wife? If so, where is the referral link so that I can get credited with the referral points? I can't seem to find an obvious place to refer people from within My Account.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by slaman
Can I refer my wife? If so, where is the referral link so that I can get credited with the referral points? I can't seem to find an obvious place to refer people from within My Account.
My husband and I always refer each other.

Under Rewards menu => Get More From Your Card => Refer a Friend => Select a card
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by YYZess
My husband and I always refer each other.

Under Rewards menu => Get More From Your Card => Refer a Friend => Select a card
Thanks! I had to cancel my business card because I changed my company's name and Amex actually requires you to cancel and apply again...

I wonder if I cancelled today if I would be eligible to re-apply for the sign-up bonus tomorrow?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by slaman

I wonder if I cancelled today if I would be eligible to re-apply for the sign-up bonus tomorrow?
I would cancel, then wait a few weeks then re-apply.
Good luck !
Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Does anyone have a valid, working link for first year free 10k points promo?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG
That expired already. You should wait for the next promo in June or something like that. 10/15k plus first year free.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:11 pm

21000 for a fee of $120 through a referral is not that bad. Plus the referrer will get 10000 points too.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:50 am

http://www.americanexpress.com/canad...yf_10_en.shtml
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by jasonkevin77
When you click through the link is dead:

Thank you for choosing American Express. We are sorry but we are unable to start the application process as the specific offer is no longer available online.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: A3 G, SPG, Fairmount
Worst customer service ever-Cancelled this card

I opted for this card last year when fees were waived. I was relatively happy with the card until six months agon when travelling extensively my card was frozen for suspicious activity. I called in and said I would travelling to several countries for two months would they please note it and not do this again? Sure no problem sir.. They did it again one week later !!
During that trip several retailers-mostly restaurants- added 4% to my bill pre-tip- if I insisted on using this card !. That's when the card was accepted at all.
In have charged over 38k to that ard and brought Amex a lot of business and fees! in one year. True I collected SPG points but the excessive charges and twice having my card frozen during the same trip seemed a bit much. I called and was asked to fax ( yes fax!- who does this anymore?) a letter to customer service.
I did and in that letter told them i was considering not renewing the card at the end of February beacaue of all that had happened. I asked why i should pay annual fees if I would be charged more by some retailers and they made more moeny on top of tha? I was hoping for a call back or a letter. Instead... SPG Amex cancelled my card without telling me and assumed my letter of complaint was a request for cancellation !!! I discovered it tying to log in to my account.

Today, I called and after long delays, was able to talk to a customer service rep who said I had asked for the card to be cancelled. Nowhere in my letter did I make this request!
When I disputed that and said what about getting some answers to my questions? I was told retailers legally can do that- charge me more for the privilege of using Amex. The same retailers would not charge me if using Visa and that doesnt seem to bother Amex !!!
They had nothing to say about the inconvenience of freezing my account twice on the same trip.

I asked what they would do about such poor service and was told they would re-instate the card. I asked that fees be waived in consideration for my standing as a relatively big spender and the poor service I had received then and just now. I was denied !
So goodbye Amex! You won't see my business any time soon.

Global Guy

Last edited by Global guy; Feb 16, 2013 at 8:38 am
Old Feb 16, 2013, 9:15 am

Does Amex "service" all their cards from the same center or each card is handled separately? I found some reps to be more knowledgeable than others depending on the card and SPG happens to be less favorable to call about. Points from using the cards are not free as nothing is free from a credit card companies. Its a ploy to entice members to join their customer base. You should not consider these as benefit against the other T&C like customer service being bad and you made a right call cancelling. You can get it again when your frustrations pass and with the bonus at that like right now of 21 000 plus a referral of 10 000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.