Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Originally Posted by Traveler56789
I just completed a 7 night stay at the resort.

Overall it was a great experience. I had somewhat low expectations given all of the bad reviews I've been reading. However, the hotel didn't disappoint. While it needs to be renovated (they're planning a $100M renovation starting in the next year), it's in the same shape as it was when I was there two years ago. The hotel was clean, food was great, service was top notch and all staff went above and beyond.

I made my booking about 8 months ago for a garden/mountain terrace room for ~360K points. I asked for an upgrade at arrival, referencing the e-mail that kendenton mentioned above. I was upgraded to an ocean front junior suite without much negotiation. They also gave us a complementary daily breakfast buffet (although this required several e-mails back and forth with hotel management before I arrived).

Overall great experience and I think I may stay here again after the renovations.
Nice, we are hoping to get a junior suite as well
Old May 13, 2019, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by flymax77
Nice, we are hoping to get a junior suite as well
any recent stay reports?

how was the $50 breakfast credit?

any suggestions on best restaurants to redeem at for better value?
Old May 13, 2019, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler56789
I just completed a 7 night stay at the resort.

Overall it was a great experience. I had somewhat low expectations given all of the bad reviews I've been reading. However, the hotel didn't disappoint. While it needs to be renovated (they're planning a $100M renovation starting in the next year), it's in the same shape as it was when I was there two years ago. The hotel was clean, food was great, service was top notch and all staff went above and beyond.

I made my booking about 8 months ago for a garden/mountain terrace room for ~360K points. I asked for an upgrade at arrival, referencing the e-mail that kendenton mentioned above. I was upgraded to an ocean front junior suite without much negotiation. They also gave us a complementary daily breakfast buffet (although this required several e-mails back and forth with hotel management before I arrived).

Overall great experience and I think I may stay here again after the renovations.
how did u get the breakfast buffet for two people?
Not sure if I got that or a “$50 daily dining credit”, which looks like it will only cover one buffer since they are over $40 each
Old May 28, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by Rifleman69
Looks like Makana Terrace is no longer open for dinner, wonder if they finally realized that no one wanted to eat inside shoved towards the windows at Kauai Grill, so they took that option away?
Kauai Grill is now closed with Makana Terrace open for dinner (in addition to breakfast).
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by cawhite

Kauai Grill is now closed with Makana Terrace open for dinner (in addition to breakfast).
Yeah I got that from the spa people....nobody ever went to the Kauai Grill. Way way overpriced and frumpy. You're in Hawaii, not Paris or NYC.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:45 pm

For those who have been recently, how has occupancy looked?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dn10
I wasn't staying there but used the spa facilities about three weeks ago. Place seemed to be about the normal occupancy from what I saw.

They did have another new thing for outsiders using the spa facilities...if you received any sort of treatment, you could get a pass to use the pool and chairs same day for no cost if room was available.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Yeah I got that from the spa people....nobody ever went to the Kauai Grill. Way way overpriced and frumpy. You're in Hawaii, not Paris or NYC.
Strongly disagree. I’ve been over a dozen times over more years than I can remember. Not at the level of JGs flagship but on par with his other resort places.

Id go just for the Onaga which was regularly on the menu.

It was usually full when I went. I will miss it.
cawhite likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:36 pm

I was there last week. I promised my angel who told me their occupancy rates for that week that I wouldn’t disclose them, but I will say the hotel was at considerably lower occupancy than they have the past nine years I’ve stayed there at the same time...noticeably lower.

In my opinion, there is also a noticeable difference in the legacy employees compared to those who were were brought from corporate or new hires since the change in ownership. In my experience, the newer employees lack the warmth and aloha that is shown by the legacy employees.

This was my first stay post-change and I booked it through the property’s website. From what I was told, the only upgrades being honored/offered are for those reservations which were originally booked through Starwood and were part of an agreement with them. Paid upgrades might be available upon request.

Breakfast buffet at Makana Terrace is not nearly what it used to be. The amazing house-made lilikoi granola is long gone.

My understanding is that only one of the butlers is still there although in a slightly different role. True to form, about 30 minutes after I checked in a plate of cupcakes showed up at my door as a birthday wish...courtesy of said former butler who hadn’t forgotten.

I didn’t receive any type of pre-arrival email before my arrival. That set my expectations as to what I should expect from 1 Hotels...and they didn’t disappoint. Thankfully, all my usual angels are still on property and they (as always) went above and beyond to make it a great stay. While I can’t say I’ll ever feel inclined to stay at another 1 Hotels property, I’ll keep coming back to this property as long as my angels are still there.

Plenty of speculation re the renovations which are supposedly scheduled to begin spring 2020.

Last edited by cawhite; Jun 4, 2019 at 8:49 pm
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan

Strongly disagree. I’ve been over a dozen times over more years than I can remember. Not at the level of JGs flagship but on par with his other resort places.

Id go just for the Onaga which was regularly on the menu.

It was usually full when I went. I will miss it.
You're one of the few.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by cawhite

I was there last week. I promised my angel who told me their occupancy rates for that week that I wouldn’t disclose them, but I will say the hotel was at considerably lower occupancy than they have the past nine years I’ve stayed there at the same time...noticeably lower.

In my opinion, there is also a noticeable difference in the legacy employees compared to those who were were brought from corporate or new hires since the change in ownership. In my experience, the newer employees lack the warmth and aloha that is shown by the legacy employees.

This was my first stay post-change and I booked it through the property’s website. From what I was told, the only upgrades being honored/offered are for those reservations which were originally booked through Starwood and were part of an agreement with them. Paid upgrades might be available upon request.

Breakfast buffet at Makana Terrace is not nearly what it used to be. The amazing house-made lilikoi granola is long gone.

My understanding is that only one of the butlers is still there although in a slightly different role. True to form, about 30 minutes after I checked in a plate of cupcakes showed up at my door as a birthday wish...courtesy of said former butler who hadn’t forgotten.

I didn’t receive any type of pre-arrival email before my arrival. That set my expectations as to what I should expect from 1 Hotels...and they didn’t disappoint. Thankfully, all my usual angels are still on property and they (as always) went above and beyond to make it a great stay. While I can’t say I’ll ever feel inclined to stay at another 1 Hotels property, I’ll keep coming back to this property as long as my angels are still there.

Plenty of speculation re the renovations which are supposedly scheduled to begin spring 2020.
Any big rumored renovations that you can share? Or just general modernization of the decor and rooms.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:06 am

Any big rumored renovations that you can share? Or just general modernization of the decor and rooms.
Supposedly -- the port cochere will be coming down (possibly also that fountain, but my memory is hazy on that one) and they are going to be opening the lobby area back up as it previously was. They have a couple model rooms that are blocked off, but I'm not sure if they're ready for preview or still undergoing changes and I was too busy to remember to ask further before check-out. Also FYI, at this point reservations aren't available past April 2, 2020 (I tried making dummy bookings on my own to confirm - that was a couple weeks ago). Nothing beyond that which I can share.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
You're one of the few.
Doubt that. I personally know more than a few.

Restaurant business is off because the whole occupancy is off. And they may have cut corners under the new management - like the terrace breakfast.
cawhite likes this.

Last edited by beachfan; Jun 10, 2019 at 12:45 pm
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Went yesterday for dinner with friends who have been many times before. They said it is nothing like it use to be. Renovations are slated to begin in May when they will close for 2 years. It needs it. I have never been but it felt and looked like an aging dinosaur.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Sounds like a sad state of affairs for a once absolutely grand property. We'll see if a phoenix emerges from the renovations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.