Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by msw423

Wish I could've signed up for the FT meetup in Chicago. Hope everyone learned something and had fun!

Let me know if anyone has any tips. Going to be using the coins for mortgage payments.
How do you use the coins to pay your mortgage? Sorry, sounds like a stupid question but I guess you walk into the bank and the mortgage in $1 coins?

The FT Chicago DO was excellent, I learned a lot and highly recommend it if they have it again.

Last edited by poptarts; Oct 20, 2010 at 7:49 pm
Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johndeere19
Why not just set your cash advance to $0 and try and make a purchase...easy way to get your answer.

I think the rule of thumb has been post what cards DON'T work and refrain from posting specific cards that DO work.
Only ONE issuer's cards can set the cash advance amount to 0. Said issuer's name has been mentioned gazillions times on this and other threads.

All other issuers have cash advance set as a % of the CL and would not budge to modify it in any way.

OTOH, calling the issuers is one of the dumbest act the participants may do. It is all a trial by error risk-taking game and the collective wisdom / sharing experiences should have been enough for anyone who decides to take the plunge. If one needs a 100% assurance then one should not even try to do this.

What about the coins go missing during the shipping process? What about the shipment is short? What about the shipment is stolen? ALL these scenarios have happened and reported before - wouldn't this be more troublesome than if an issuer charge you a 3% cash advance fee and interest? Which if you monitor your card(s) regularly you should be able to see the classification of the transaction soon enough to at least do something about it.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by msw423
Let me know if anyone has any tips. Going to be using the coins for mortgage payments.
If you have a card issued thru a bank that has a physical location nearby, use them to pay your credit card bill.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:04 pm

I read on the fatwallet thread that you can use Big Crumbs to get 1.6% cash back on Amex gift cards plus cash back or miles/points from the card you used to purchase them. Then you can spend the gift cards on these coins. It seems like a good ideal. I'm going to call my credit card issuers and make sure it will all work the way I think it will unless you guys can verify it is all kosher.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:16 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles GM Marriott Rewards PM
Thank you for the advice. I am already aware of this, but unfortunately no local branch nearby for credit issuer. I could use automatic transfers once my system is fully set up, but for now I will be just feeling out local branches that hold my mortgage to see how they handle the coins. Before I was doing interbank transfers from non local credit card bank (main account) to local mortgage holding account.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by mr.hanky
I read on the fatwallet thread that you can use Big Crumbs to get 1.6% cash back on Amex gift cards plus cash back or miles/points from the card you used to purchase them. Then you can spend the gift cards on these coins. It seems like a good ideal. I'm going to call my credit card issuers and make sure it will all work the way I think it will unless you guys can verify it is all kosher.
The first rule on Flyertalk is NEVER call! Please see post 10741.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:12 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by learningtime
To all other playing along FTers, I see Citi closing it's doors before the others. I think Citi does not give points/miles on Amex card purchases. Mint purchases will follow. We know why. The mint has to keep procuding coins, that's what they do. Banks don't have to keep giving rewards for purchasing money on credit, the more they hear the more they will scale back.
+1. I actually think many of them are paying equally close attention. Citi has treated something as CA; Chase has closed accounts; AMEX drawing financial review (my personal experience); rumor about Schwab not giving out cash back; US Flexperks not giving out points anymore. Thanks to those who bring more attention to the financial institutions, the door will be closed one after another. FTers will still find ways to do it, but they will be all in PMs and those who stubbornly ask DYKWIM will eventually lose every single bit.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:36 pm

I don't care about long term. I just wanted to meet the spending on my AA cards so I can trade the miles for a Target card and get a free Ipad.
Since I read about the big crumbs cash back stacking it makes it more lucrative so I'm going to take what I can get while I can get it, just like those that preceded me, I won't be posting pics though.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:50 pm

I don't care about long term. I just wanted to meet the spending on my AA cards so I can trade the miles for a Target card and get a free Ipad.
Since I read about the big crumbs cash back stacking it makes it more lucrative so I'm going to take what I can get while I can get it, just like those that preceded me, I won't be posting pics though.
If you use your AA card I hope you like paying cash advance fees on those GC's.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
I'm assuming Mr. Hanky is a newbie when it comes to accruing easy miles and whatnot.

The do not call rule is simple common courtesy for all partaking in a deal. Repeated calling about price mistakes, finance deals, etc. brings unwanted attention and essentially kills a deal or makes it less lucrative.

Simply put, people like him are the reason why the best deals are spread through private messages and why others and I keep our mouths shut when golden gooses are discovered.

FYI, I don't buy coins anymore simply because they aren't worth the hassle and haven't been for awhile.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA,CO,SPG
This is my situation:

I started with coin depositing in may. I've got 4 diff. banks and I never take more than 3k/week into any one branch.

Bank 1: After about 50k they have decided to charge $6 per 1k.
Bank 2: After about 40-50k they have decided to charge $10 per 1k.
Bank 3: After about 40k received a letter this morning saying that my account will be
closed by next week.
Bank 4: So far 20k and nothing, but I'm sure they will flip on me eventually. On the second deposit the manager came up to me and said, "Your doing this for miles right? Don't they stop you from ordering if you deposit these at the bank?" My answer, "Not if you have a legitimate business and are doing your part to circulate them".

Now time to find bank 5...
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last time I look, there is no "legal" way to trade your AA miles directly for a Target GC or an iPad, not even through Points.com. Indirectly may be. I hope you have done your math to see how much your AA miles would eventually equal to whatever "currency" you wound up with that would let you have a Target GC and an iPad.

Originally Posted by QL_714
If you use your AA card I hope you like paying cash advance fees on those GC's.
Yup. But it seems mr.hanky may have gotten "assurance" from CSR that his purchases of AMEX GC would be treated DIFFERENTLY than others preceded him. lol.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by popot53
This is my situation:

I started with coin depositing in may. I've got 4 diff. banks and I never take more than 3k/week into any one branch.

Bank 1: After about 50k they have decided to charge $6 per 1k.
Bank 2: After about 40-50k they have decided to charge $10 per 1k.
Bank 3: After about 40k received a letter this morning saying that my account will be
closed by next week.
Bank 4: So far 20k and nothing, but I'm sure they will flip on me eventually. On the second deposit the manager came up to me and said, "Your doing this for miles right? Don't they stop you from ordering if you deposit these at the bank?" My answer, "Not if you have a legitimate business and are doing your part to circulate them".

Now time to find bank 5...
I would gladly pay 6 – 10 per 1k if they accepted unlimited amounts.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:13 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
+1
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA,CO,SPG

Really? The bank that wants $6 will take as many as I bring now and they're right outside my subdivision. It's just hard to pay up knowing that it could be free

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.