Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by dinosims
Has anyone tried using the "Penny Arcade" at TD Bank to deposit their coins? I know that it's free for both customers and non-customers, and you just get a receipt and bring to the teller where they give you cash, but I'm not sure if there's a limit.
This works but it's a hassle. The bag "fills up" every $100 and the machine announces "Wow ! You sure have saved a lot of coins". You then have to get a teller to come over and empty the bag. I'm not sure they would appreciate having to deal with large amounts.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:19 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To deposit coins, go to bank with mrpickles:

1. No standing in line
2. Private banker takes unopened coin boxes to vault while you relax
3. Private banker completes deposit and hands over $100 bills
4. In and out under 10 minutes!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
Originally Posted by BakerStreet
This works but it's a hassle. The bag "fills up" every $100 and the machine announces "Wow ! You sure have saved a lot of coins". You then have to get a teller to come over and empty the bag. I'm not sure they would appreciate having to deal with large amounts.
+1. TD Bank is a major hassle. I think I've also given my coins to the next customer unintentionally because of flaws in the way Penny is designed. The one positive is the free gift for guessing the amount correctly.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by HLS2002
+1. TD Bank is a major hassle. I think I've also given my coins to the next customer unintentionally because of flaws in the way Penny is designed. The one positive is the free gift for guessing the amount correctly.
The Pennys in my area have been reprogrammed to hold up to $500 in dollar coins. So I go a couple of times a week.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by LLM
To deposit coins, go to bank with mrpickles:

1. No standing in line
2. Private banker takes unopened coin boxes to vault while you relax
3. Private banker completes deposit and hands over $100 bills
4. In and out under 10 minutes!
Oh man! That sounds nice. I'm surprised the banker doesn't offer you a cold beverage
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat (lifetime)
Originally Posted by MKEbound
I like to use dollar coins for tips ^
I agree. I like to leave a stack on the table and have the waiter/waitress say "Oh, thanks. I love those"
It's funny when they ask if I have any more. If only they knew!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:16 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs
There is a Facebook Group for the US Mint Coins ... finally, a place to show my love of the US Mint.
The one I found, titled "US Mint Coins", is about sea turtles.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:48 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leisure32
Oh man! That sounds nice. I'm surprised the banker doesn't offer you a cold beverage
I told her we needed the $3500 for a strip club .
Old Mar 23, 2010, 9:20 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by LLM
I told her we needed the $3500 for a strip club .
And you should have seen the look on her face: PRICELESS.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by mrpickles
And you should have seen the look on her face: PRICELESS.
I guess now we know where you got your handle from!
@:-)
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
My coins, which the mint site says are still in process, arrived today.

Mike
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got some yesterday is some very beat-up boxes. There were holes, but I don't think they're big enough for the inner boxes to sneak out. I haven't counted them out yet.

This was a UPS re-delivery. I think the extra handling due to the first missed attempt really put some extra stress on these.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:46 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Yes, these new packages allow the small boxes to move around a lot more inside. I've had some where they got jostled so much that the wrappers broke and they spilled out, but only into the little boxes. (I almost think that sounds dirty...).
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:29 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
I got an another interesting reaction when I handed one of the dollar coins to the guy in the toll booth on the Dulles Toll Road on Saturday. I handed the guy the coin and his face lit up and he said something like "Lucky golden coin!"

I dropped the usual couple of hundred dollars at Costco this weekend, one hundred of which was in coins (in the roll). The cashier looked at them to verify that the wrapper said $25, but didn't seem to be bothered about them. I paid the rest on twenties. The only problem with the coins is that more than four rolls starts to get a little heavy in my purse.

The highway-robbery farmers' market opens back up on Saturday mornings starting in April . . . so more coins will be spent there . . . and the beat goes on . . .
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
I got an another interesting reaction when I handed one of the dollar coins to the guy in the I dropped the usual couple of hundred dollars at Costco this weekend, one hundred of which was in coins (in the roll). The cashier looked at them to verify that the wrapper said $25, but didn't seem to be bothered about them. I paid the rest on twenties.
Spending at COSTCO makes no sense ... that is a credit card and mile/point earning transaction in and of itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.