Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2010, 9:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Delta2010
. I expect this order to arrive tomorrow.
Does anyone know how long USPS orders will take to arrive?
Looks like 2 days

Detailed Results:

Out for Delivery or Available at PO Box, June 30, 2010, 9:13 am, MADISON, WI
Sorting Complete, June 30, 2010, 8:43 am, MADISON, WI
Arrival at Post Office, June 30, 2010, 7:07 am, MADISON, WI
Shipment Accepted; June 28, 2010, 4:43 pm, PLAINFIELD, IN 46168
Electronic Shipping Info Received, June 28, 2010

Last edited by Stoughton; Jun 30, 2010 at 9:49 am
Old Jun 30, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
To all those commenting about USPS claiming packages were delivered etc.... I'm **assuming** that they'll still requrie a signature. You guys make it seem like USPS doesn't have the ability/technology to require a signature. USPS offers several options that require signatures.

So far, we have NO IDEA what USPS method they will be using, so until we find that out, everybody should relax IMO. haha
Old Jun 30, 2010, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
To all those commenting about USPS claiming packages were delivered etc.... I'm **assuming** that they'll still requrie a signature. You guys make it seem like USPS doesn't have the ability/technology to require a signature. USPS offers several options that require signatures.

So far, we have NO IDEA what USPS method they will be using, so until we find that out, everybody should relax IMO. haha
OK, but their FAQ implies you only need a signature for expedited shipments. On the other hand it does say everything is insured.

Most orders are delivered using our standard delivery option. All packages are insured for their full value. Shipping charges are subject to change without notice. All shipments can be tracked online.

Standard Shipping Option

Orders being shipped by the standard shipping method are sent via FedEx Smart Post (ground), which uses the United States Postal Service (USPS) for final delivery. All orders can be tracked online. (Most customers can do this from our Web site).

Expedited Shipping Option

The United States Mint requires a signature confirmation of receipt for all expedited shipments. Customers can request upgrades to expedited shipments for a fee of $12.95. Packages valued at $300 or more, containing precious metal products (platinum, gold, silver) are upgraded to expedited shipping free of charge (does not include Ciruclating $1 Direct Ship Rolls).

Expedited shipping will be sent via one of two methods. APO, FPO and P.O. Box addresses are serviced by USPS Priority Mail with signature required. Orders shipped by Priority Mail can be tracked through the USPS Web site. All other addresses are serviced by UPS (Air and International). Orders shipped by UPS can be tracked through the UPS Web site.

Some shipping carriers do not immediately update their Web sites with the latest tracking information. It may take from six hours to several days for a United States Mint customer's tracking information. to be displayed on these sites.

Shipping charges are subject to change without notice.

Bags of 500 coins or greater will be charged $7.96 per bag plus the appropriate shipping fee of Standard or International Shipping.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by rrgg
OK, but their FAQ implies you only need a signature for expedited shipments. On the other hand it does say everything is insured.
FWIW, my UPS driver (who knows what is in all the boxes and who is highly amused by it all) has told me that the overnight shipments he has delivered to me are not insured. So, either they are insured in a non-traditional way, the US Mint is self-insuring, or the web site is wrong.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Stoughton
How about getting a PO Box? Has worked quite well here
You're right. I rejected that initially because I avoid our local post office. I likely will get one in the suburb where I work, rather than punch a large whole in the front of our house for a package-sized mail slot.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy
FWIW, my UPS driver (who knows what is in all the boxes and who is highly amused by it all) has told me that the overnight shipments he has delivered to me are not insured. So, either they are insured in a non-traditional way, the US Mint is self-insuring, or the web site is wrong.
UPS does not insure cash
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:25 am
Suspended

Looks like 2 days

Detailed Results:

Electronic Shipping Info Received, June 28, 2010
Just got it.

Signature required, shipped USPS Priority
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Well, my UPS driver says that drives can't see from the label whether the package is insured or not - that was a big red flag for theft. I think he said that above some threshold ($5000?) they do get a message, but otherwise, there's no external indication.

So maybe your driver knows from some other means, but supposedly the label is no indication.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But you don't really need the 11x11, do you? I have rthe smallest box possible and it's $22/yr (IIRC). When the coins arrive, they put a notice in the box and I pick it up at the counter.
The cheapest one in our town is between $22 / 6 months to $55 / 6 months.

I ask my postman today about if he could handle a 20lb package - he said sure. He has a dolly in his cart. He is excellent. Only times we have problem is when he is on vacation, which usually is Wed / Thur. His subs dont do 1/2 a decent job.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:05 am

Just got it.

Signature required, shipped USPS Priority
How many coins in this order??
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jlgrandam
How many coins in this order??
$1,000

FTR, I have always had to sign for orders of $1,000 (and orders of $500).

I have never had to sign for orders of $250
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
"Looks like 2 days
Detailed Results:
Electronic Shipping Info Received, June 28, 2010"

It's been a few months but I thought I'd check this thread in the off-chance there might be any useful bits of info. (Even a broken clock is correct twice a day as they say.) But I see nothing's changed.
I say we award this thread with "the most anal" award.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:42 am

Yes, I am guilty of being anal about things that are immensely profitable to me!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
UPS and USPS don't insure cash, precious metals, coins, etc. Anybody who ships these items must have a third party insurance to be fully covered. So, I imagine that the Mint has a 3rd party insurance company and requires signatures on all USPS orders over $250 (or $300). Plus, somebody said that they're being shipped via Priority Mail. That's a guaranteed 2-3 day shipping service.

So, basically, you'll get your coins a day or two later than before, you'll still have to sign, they'll most likely be insured by the same 3rd party company and you can pick them up at the Post Office and not the UPS place (which for me is much more convenient).

As I said before... relax.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whizbee
USPS once lost 2 boxes (not coins, personal stuff) when I was living in Santa Monica and even though I had insurance, there was not a thing I could do about it because they claimed they were delivered.
A similar experience though in this case I was the sender.

I sold an expensive hardcover book on Amazon - the book was a gift from my brokerage firm, just published at a retail price of $190 or about. I had no use of it. At the suggestion of a friend who sold his on Amazon, I sold it to a buyer at Chicago area for $85. Book was sent in its original carton box the same as rec'd from the brokerage firm. I purchased the tracking service but did not insure it.

Book never arrived. Buyer had good faith to inform me. I forwarded him the tracking status of USPS - the package stopped at the Chicago depot and no further info.

After 2 weeks buyer requested Amazon for the guarantee. I sent Amazon the proof of USPS delivery status. Amazon did not deduct the money from my account, but reimbursed the buyer under Amazon guarantee policy. I continued to follow up with USPS with emails back and forth. 6 weeks later USPS sent me a letter containing a ripped piece of the box and claimed the package was not properly wrapped.

It is a complete BS because the package was the original carton box that I received from the brokerage - the only thing I did was added a new address label, covered with the heavy-duty transparent wrapping tape to protect the label. I made a mistake to follow Amazon's instruction, by putting wordings on the package - Your order from Amazon is inside... What an advertisement for the thief to steal it - because the thief knows this type of shipment is from the Amazon Marketplace where the individuals are the sellers, not the Amazon company itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.