Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:10 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by JumboJ
Oh what ever will you do if the coins aren't on sale until negative 11 months and 9 days pass??...
lol ... ahh yes, 2009
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:18 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by Happy
The 2-for-1 cert can only be used on BA metals - that means you have to pay $600+ fuel surcharge and fees on EACH award ticket, even though you only need to shell out miles for one.

The $30K can be spent on Schwab 2% cash back Visa and net you $600. You will not have the 2-for-1 cert therefore you need to pay miles for both awards - but you can redeem partner airline therefore dont have to pay BA's exuberant fuel surcharge.

The upshot (or the downside) is, to get the 2-for-1 cert, you lose the $600 cashback on Schwab card, plus you incur $1200+ fuel surcharge and fees. So your total loss on CASH would be $1800+, to save 100K miles.

In many FFer's book, this makes the miles too expensive.
Thanks for that. I guess I have way more reading to do in terms of what I can actually get from that voucher and how much it will cost to utilize it. Not being in this game for a while and only glancing at posts without really understanding it completely in the past seems to have blinded me when I saw this 100k BA offer. I will try and find that BA thread/post and read it to fully understand this and what deals will be worth it.

-Thanks
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by xp0
Thanks for that. I guess I have way more reading to do in terms of what I can actually get from that voucher and how much it will cost to utilize it. Not being in this game for a while and only glancing at posts without really understanding it completely in the past seems to have blinded me when I saw this 100k BA offer. I will try and find that BA thread/post and read it to fully understand this and what deals will be worth it.

-Thanks
No problem, I'm on the fence on this 30,000 voucher myself.
If AA cards were still churnable, I'd pass, but that doesn't look good either...

Now, back to the coins...

Anyone with statements closing the 10th ???

Last edited by PatMike; Dec 11, 2009 at 10:01 pm
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:56 pm

Not an AMEX, but I had one of my statements close on 12/10. Coins were posted on 12/9. Received points as usual.^
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:49 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Hertz4me
The immediate bank deposit of $1 Coins ordered through this Program does not result in their introduction into circulation and, therefore, does not comply with the intended purpose of the Program.
Hmm, what does immediate mean. Many times I wait an entire day until depositing the coins
Old Dec 12, 2009, 5:27 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by buschoi
I am waiting for my Dec 10 SPG AMEX to be available online, and I will report back as soon as it is available.

My Citi AA Mastercard, on the other hand, also closed on Dec 10, and all US Mints purchases accrued AA miles.
Update to my SPG AMEX statement that was closed on Dec 10 - all points from the Mint transactions have been posted accordingly. ^
Old Dec 12, 2009, 5:35 am

There's obviously some befuddled, frustrated bureaucrat at the Mint trying to run this program, or maybe they just don't care that much.

I promise to adhere to the latest regulations with all the solemnity of a pinky swear. (And no, I'm not a "$50k a month" or "99 box per order" level customer.)

I particularly liked how they capitalized "Nation" here: "Increased circulation of $1 Coins saves the Nation money." Our government throws away billions on subsidies and bailouts, and they're trying to appeal to citizens not to rack up free trips in order to save our Nation a few dollars.

How about the government issuing a directive that all banks must make a reasonable effort to distribute all dollar coins they receive?! I've never seen a bank with a sign saying "Dollar coins available" or simply giving out dollar coins for change instead of bills.

What's the expression: Don't hate the player, hate the game!
Old Dec 12, 2009, 7:50 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Euroflyer

How about the government issuing a directive that all banks must make a reasonable effort to distribute all dollar coins they receive?! I've never seen a bank with a sign saying "Dollar coins available" or simply giving out dollar coins for change instead of bills.

What's the expression: Don't hate the player, hate the game!
One of my banks does have a sign listing all of the dollar coins they have available-I was impressed the first time I saw this,although they only had 2 or 3 options each time I was there.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 8:35 am

Programs: most of them
If the government really cared about getting the dollar coins into circulation that would finally get rid of the paper dollar bill. Until they do that they are not being serious about dollar coins.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Originally Posted by Happy
The 2-for-1 cert can only be used on BA metals - that means you have to pay $600+ fuel surcharge and fees on EACH award ticket, even though you only need to shell out miles for one.

The $30K can be spent on Schwab 2% cash back Visa and net you $600. You will not have the 2-for-1 cert therefore you need to pay miles for both awards - but you can redeem partner airline therefore dont have to pay BA's exuberant fuel surcharge.

The upshot (or the downside) is, to get the 2-for-1 cert, you lose the $600 cashback on Schwab card, plus you incur $1200+ fuel surcharge and fees. So your total loss on CASH would be $1800+, to save 100K miles.

In many FFer's book, this makes the miles too expensive.
Stupid, off topic question, forgive me........
If coins are charged on the BA card for BA Miles and you also have a citi AA card which gives the miles discount for having the card, does the citi discount only count on AA Miles or does it also apply to the BA miles that would be a partner, thus avoiding the larger fuel surcharges?

BTW Travelocity MC (Barclay's) only has a temp auth on my order (only $1000 of the $2500 order) so no idea yet about points from Barclay products.

JudyJFLA
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:07 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
So I guess the big roll of the dice question today is which card to place the 20 box order of NA's on Citi AA or SPG Amex?
Thoughts?

It's only $5K but SPG Security called this morning about gift card orders on the US 250% promo so maybe they are getting more wary. Remember if the coin deal falls through, there is still the 140 miles per dollar on US for Track It Back stickers and 70 miles per dollar for FTD on the US thread.

JudyJFLA
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:19 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by glennaa11
If the government really cared about getting the dollar coins into circulation that would finally get rid of the paper dollar bill. Until they do that they are not being serious about dollar coins.

+1
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
Stupid, off topic question, forgive me........
If coins are charged on the BA card for BA Miles and you also have a citi AA card which gives the miles discount for having the card, does the citi discount only count on AA Miles or does it also apply to the BA miles that would be a partner, thus avoiding the larger fuel surcharges?

JudyJFLA
BA miles belong to BA program.

AA miles belong to AA program.

Citi's discount offerings are for AA program.

enough said.

For better understanding on each program, luckily there are EXCELLENT Stickies in each corresponding airline forum on FT.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Bonvoy
LA Times (Dec12) - U.S. Mint blocks frequent fliers' scheme to collect easy miles

Several FTers quoted.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...0,193113.story
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:56 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 2mm, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
So I guess the big roll of the dice question today is which card to place the 20 box order of NA's on Citi AA or SPG Amex?
Thoughts?

JudyJFLA
Exactly my issue. I'm thinking I may go 10 boxes on each and hope for the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.