Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by aua868s
Mint is aware of it and has taken a firm initiative on it. Stop it or face the music...see link below

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...0,193113.story
What music? Do you expect a visit from Treasury agents?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
changed/deleted wording

It is also interesting that there is no longer the 'warning' about the purchase possibly not accruing credit card miles or that the purchase may count as a 'cash equivalent' purchase. I don't see anything that may indicate the purchase of the coins wouldn't earn full credit card miles/bonuses.........

Last edited by miller4isu; Dec 14, 2009 at 12:19 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:29 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by miller4isu
It is also interesting that there is no longer the 'warning' about the purchase possibly not accruing credit card miles or that the purchase may count as a 'cash equivalent' purchase. I don't see anything that may indicate the purchase of the coins wouldn't earn full credit card miles/bonuses.........
Good point. I'm skeptical that the Mint is set up to run Cash Advance transactions. For what it is worth, the amount I purchased last night did not reduce my Cash Advance limit on Amex. Hopefully, this deal will stay alive for the FT and FW communities and the Mint will use language to scare off the casual user who reads about it in the paper.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by ejs621
This was posted later by the same person:

FALSE ALARM. The two charges pertain to two other charges I had made around the same time. Keep the coins comming!

Cheers!
This was also posted on FW:

"From the "Credit Card Agreement" that came with my Schwab/FIA 2% Rewards VISA, pg 18:
"TRANSACTION FEE FINANCE CHARGES:
We will assess the following Transaction fees to your Account in the same balance category to which the transaction is posted ...
If you obtain a Cash Equivalent, we will assess a transaction fee (FINANCE CHARGE) equal to 3.00% of the US dollar amount of each such Cash Advance (Fee: Min $10.00)
That being said, I have made several purchase of Circulating coins from the US Mint using my Schwab VISA cc, and have never been charged a cash-equivalent or other fee. Also, I did receive the 2% rewards on those purchases as well."

Very interesting.

I placed a new order on Friday for 20 boxes of NA's and it was cancelled this morning. Perhaps they counted my previous purchases as having reached the 20 box limit already. I wasn't overly surprised with the cancellation. Waiting to see what 2010 brings us. Although I'm leaning more towards this deal being dead now.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 2:19 pm

Nothing to see here...

Time to move on....
Old Dec 14, 2009, 3:15 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chtrich
I placed a new order on Friday for 20 boxes of NA's and it was cancelled this morning. Perhaps they counted my previous purchases as having reached the 20 box limit already. I wasn't overly surprised with the cancellation. Waiting to see what 2010 brings us. Although I'm leaning more towards this deal being dead now.
That's interesting.... I haven't placed any new order for the NA as I am waiting for more reports about the cash equivalent, charge, etc. I am also wondering if my previous purchases count towards the 20-box limit.... Interesting to see how it develops.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 3:26 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by buschoi
That's interesting.... I haven't placed any new order for the NA as I am waiting for more reports about the cash equivalent, charge, etc. I am also wondering if my previous purchases count towards the 20-box limit.... Interesting to see how it develops.
My order from last night is already in process. I have ordered lots of Native American coins within that account. As I posted earlier, the authorization is showing up on the credit card with no reduction of the cash advance line. I can't figure out the Mint's decisions & techniques regarding acceptance & rejections, either.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 3:27 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
"I placed a new order on Friday for 20 boxes of NA's and it was cancelled this morning. Perhaps they counted my previous purchases as having reached the 20 box limit already. I wasn't overly surprised with the cancellation. Waiting to see what 2010 brings us. Although I'm leaning more towards this deal being dead now."

Ditto
Old Dec 14, 2009, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold

Sounds like they're monitoring the orders more strictly now.

I also placed a couple of new orders Friday on two separate credit cards (one for 10 boxes of NA's and another for 8 boxes).

I have only used one of those credit cards to purchase NA's in the past, and all of those orders went to a different address. Despite trying a new address and a new credit card, both orders were cancelled this afternoon.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 5:47 pm

I'm not sure if the deal is dead, but my Chase MC PerfectReward statement closed on the 12th and the presidents that shipped 12/10 received rebates as planned.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 6:40 pm

...I placed a new order on Friday for 20 boxes of NA's and it was cancelled this morning. Perhaps they counted my previous purchases as having reached the 20 box limit already. I wasn't overly surprised with the cancellation. Waiting to see what 2010 brings us. Although I'm leaning more towards this deal being dead now.
Sounds like you are on the naughty list
Old Dec 14, 2009, 7:44 pm

Programs: co,skymiles hilton a.a usair
Originally Posted by leisure32
Sounds like you are on the naughty list
yes i think that to because i place an order on dec 11 and still say on stock and reserve and i did order more than that before
Old Dec 14, 2009, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
NA orders placed Friday...

were cancelled today. Both orders were for 10 boxes (needed the split spend). One order, for 20 boxes, still showing pending. Different buyers, different delivery addresses, but same billing address.

Even the Mint folks might appreciate this anecdote: during my most recent deposit one teller rushed over to my teller as we were finalizing the deposit. She asked if the coins were the $1 presidential... I paused, thinking, 'here we go...', she then smiled and said, 'Great! Hold $800 for me, there's someone coming in this afternoon and we don't have any in the vault .' I smiled.

Mission accomplished.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 9:42 pm

Programs: Spirit,AAdvantage,Onepass,WorldPerks
Originally Posted by msp2anywhere
were cancelled today. Both orders were for 10 boxes (needed the split spend). One order, for 20 boxes, still showing pending. Different buyers, different delivery addresses, but same billing address.

Even the Mint folks might appreciate this anecdote: during my most recent deposit one teller rushed over to my teller as we were finalizing the deposit. She asked if the coins were the $1 presidential... I paused, thinking, 'here we go...', she then smiled and said, 'Great! Hold $800 for me, there's someone coming in this afternoon and we don't have any in the vault .' I smiled.

Mission accomplished.
Now you coul order more and tell the mint how you use them
Old Dec 14, 2009, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by msp2anywhere
during my most recent deposit one teller rushed over to my teller as we were finalizing the deposit. She asked if the coins were the $1 presidential... I paused, thinking, 'here we go...', she then smiled and said, 'Great! Hold $800 for me, there's someone coming in this afternoon and we don't have any in the vault .' I smiled.

Mission accomplished.
Thanks - I think we all appreciate that story. I feel a little better about myself and the fact that I'm NOT involved in a SCAM. All the banks need to do is post signs that dollar coins are available. When one of my employees received them as change from a hospital vending machine, she was sooo excited. When I started doing "the deal", I gave each employee a roll, to compensate for sending 1/2 of the shipments to the office. What we are forgetting is that many people actually DO want these things!

Also, I noticed the teller asked for "presidential" coins... I don't see the mint dumping (cough, cough - circulating) the mandated 20% of NA coins without "our" help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.