Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:12 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
Are you planning on using these at a strip club?

"I really needed to get the minimum spend and it was the only place open at 2 am."
Old Dec 9, 2009, 1:20 pm

Got final $1k today that was ordered over 1 month ago. Think Im out for a while.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Is anyone placing any new orders?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Received my order today. Order placed on 11/24. The charge just went through my CC and it's categorized as Purchase.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
from all that i've read on this thread, it seems that the key to this program is finding a willing local bank.
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

And to my earlier post, I wasn't complaining about newbs not knowing things or not being able to teach us something. I was just meaning that with the influx of new people this deal would get harder and harder to do since it'll most likely cause more banks to be unwilling to accept coins.

Best of luck to everyone, Newbs and old!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
From all that I've read on this thread, it seems that the key to this program is finding a willing local bank.
Or a branch that accepts credit card payments for your card. This is the best way, because it doesn't matter if they're willing or not.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by aviators99
Or a branch that accepts credit card payments for your card. This is the best way, because it doesn't matter if they're willing or not.
I think a good bank relationship is the BEST way, as Mr. Pickles has shown.

A branch that accepts CC payments will work willing or not, but they sure can make it unpleasant.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by joefiro
Received my order today. Order placed on 11/24. The charge just went through my CC and it's categorized as Purchase.
+1 as of 10 minutes ago.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SteveHOU
...Amex TCs...purchase was still a purchase transaction but did not count towards annual spend for VIP level.
This may be a special case because American Express is both the seller of the cheques and the card issuer.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium
plenty of places in nyc

Originally Posted by chtrich
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

And to my earlier post, I wasn't complaining about newbs not knowing things or not being able to teach us something. I was just meaning that with the influx of new people this deal would get harder and harder to do since it'll most likely cause more banks to be unwilling to accept coins.

Best of luck to everyone, Newbs and old!
in nyc, the bank i use is hit or miss: when i walk in with about $500 or $1000 (about all i can fit in my man purse) people either lock the doors and duck or do cartwheels that i'm back because customers / businesses / collectors have been asking for the dollar coins. needless to say, i usually make an appearance where i'm most welcome.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:59 pm

Excuse me for my ignorance but aren't we just talking about finding a branch that will accept large amounts of dollar coins? How does accepts credit card payments for your card apply here?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by tmcneill
Excuse me for my ignorance but aren't we just talking about finding a branch that will accept large amounts of dollar coins? How does accepts credit card payments for your card apply here?
For deposits, they don't have to take the coins. For payment of a debt, it is legal tender.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:16 pm

For deposits, they don't have to take the coins. For payment of a debt, it is legal tender.
This happened to me at my local Citibank. I went in one day with $500 to deposit and the manager accused me of fraud demanded that I pay a $75 fee. I said no thanks and left with my $500. The next day I showed up with $5000 and told her I wanted to pay my Citi card.

She was NOT happy.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:18 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, United Gold, Hilton Silver, Starwood Gold
on again

the FAQ is says:

The purchase of $1 coins under the Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Program is a cash equivalent or cash-like transaction. Ordinarily, such purchases are not eligible for credit card rewards, cash-back, cash rebate, and similar programs. Check with your card issuer for its terms and conditions.

how would they prevent that??

Last edited by upandup; Dec 9, 2009 at 3:23 pm
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by upandup
the FAQ is says:

The purchase of $1 coins under the Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Program is a cash equivalent or cash-like transaction. Ordinarily, such purchases are not eligible for credit card rewards, cash-back, cash rebate, and similar programs. Check with your card issuer for its terms and conditions.

how would they prevent that??
Code the purchase. Similar to what AMEX has done with the TC purchases. Look at the T&Cs of your CC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.