Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Was the box had the label outside that was your address?

I assume you would have to sign for it also. When you returned it to UPS, what was the procedure UPS had in place to make sure you returned the box you signed off for?
No, the label was for the other person. I called the UPS warehouse, gave them the tracking number then the driver came and picked up the box. He wasn't sure HOW the box had been offloaded to me... it shouldn't have scanned in the batch I got. That's the downside of 20+ boxes.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by ja_user
Don't refuse the shipment with the Mint involved. They cannot properly handle the paperwork involvde, and will likely not know you refused it.

I did this once, it took a couple months and I got an invoice, and then several phone calls later before they finally figured it out...
Ouch. The benefit of so much experience, glad someone actually tried it. Seems logical to me. So much for that advice!

Pres order 10/23 is now showing each line item shipped (with a UPS tracking number that isn't viewable on ups.com). So if you've ordered a Pres recently, that's the shipping status from last week.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 2:11 pm

My Pres. order from 10/24 also shipped today along with my 2 final NA orders placed on 10/21.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbagdon
I really suspect they are at the end of their inventory, and are filling orders from returns and pre-boxed.
I'm with you on the pre-boxed front, but returns? That scares me.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
my $8500 NA , ordered 10-22 shipped today.

that's it for me.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 3:22 pm

Wierd thing happened- i am on hold with Citi- for an hour- all i hear is i am so sorry- if she says it one more time i will scream
got a letter fron the mint- a 7500 charge was made which was denied by citi- after going round and round and being told alot of nonsense i got a supervisor-
apparantly its a new card( did it for the AA 30000 miles- tho i have 2 other citi AA cards) so all kinds of holds. they had to call diffenrent banks ( as i had paid my bill from with checks from 4 different banks where i had banked the coins to see if the cheks were good- they had cleared 8 days ago- all OK. finally we get to the problem- the mint had a hold of 10000 shipped 2500 got pd 2500 (there were other charges- i had a 25000 cr limit on this card-) then the mint went for 7500 which it shipped a few days later- that plus the 10000 hold which was for the same order but is being treated as an additional charge pushed it over the credit limit and was denied. apparantly when the mint breaks up an order it should still charge for the full order againt the hold other wise its in addition to.
the mint is now closed. will call them tomorrow and see if i can straighten this with them
Old Oct 29, 2009, 5:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Had an unpleasant experience in Bank of America in New York this afternoon.

I walked in with $2k.

Walked over to the counter and told them I'd like to deposit them.

At which point the chief teller comes out from behind the glass to ask "How am I getting these coin" and telling me "you're making money from it"... and... "we've heard about this stuff that's going on"... etc.

Blah blah blah - she had clearly heard it second or third hand from someone else and couldn't quite piece things together.

Then she told me that I would have to have a business account to make the desposit.

Then she told me there was no room left in the vault.

Then she accused me of depositing lots of coins before. This is true but at other branches and never this one. Also can they actually tell that on their computers?? I would have thought it would simply state CASH DESPOSIT rather than COINS!

Then after arguing politely infront of customers, (me stating I dont understand why the bank doesn't take money?)

In the end she agree to take the full measly $2k so long as I never do this again.

Which I agreed to do but will obviously not adhear to.

What irritated me mainly (and humiliated me slightly) was that she went from teller to teller telling them not to accept desposits from me if I bring in coins! She whispered in the ear of each one and pointed at me through the glass!!!!!!!!

I have NEVER been treated like that before. This lady of course was not American (and I say that because Americans understand customer service usually) - but I want to complain and I think I am well within my rights to do so.

Shocking behaviour.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Friendly letter from US Mint

Got a letter from the Mint Accounting Division today about an unpaid shipment from two weeks ago. That order was broken up into two shipments (which has happened numerous times on other orders) but this time they couldn't collect the money on the second shipment from Amex.

So now I have to either send them a money order/cashier check or I can just mail in the attached authorization form to have them charge my credit card. I will call the Accounting division tomorrow to see whether they can just charge my United CC instead. Amex is a pain to deal with sometimes. I have had numerous issue in the past with the authorization regarding my order with the Mint.

The weird thing is I have 14 orders since then, of which 11 have been shipped and received. 3 orders are on hold because of the non-payment. Hope I can resolve the issue with them tomorrow so my order can be processed and I can start stacking up my order again.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
10/23 pres shipped today.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:13 pm

Programs: Too many to list
uh, meh.

Last edited by Cheapskate Travels; Oct 29, 2009 at 7:41 pm
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs
$10k shipped in 6 boxes and weighs 39 pounds. hmm
Originally Posted by joefiro
Got a letter from the Mint Accounting Division today about an unpaid shipment from two weeks ago. That order was broken up into two shipments (which has happened numerous times on other orders) but this time they couldn't collect the money on the second shipment from Amex.

So now I have to either send them a money order/cashier check or I can just mail in the attached authorization form to have them charge my credit card. I will call the Accounting division tomorrow to see whether they can just charge my United CC instead. Amex is a pain to deal with sometimes. I have had numerous issue in the past with the authorization regarding my order with the Mint.

The weird thing is I have 14 orders since then, of which 11 have been shipped and received. 3 orders are on hold because of the non-payment. Hope I can resolve the issue with them tomorrow so my order can be processed and I can start stacking up my order again.
Call them, they will take the CC # over the phone.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 6:24 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by joefiro
Same thing happened to me with coins I recieved in Aug for 5K. My AX never was billed for this particular order (meanwhile other transactions completed with same AX) until Oct I recieved an invoice for the unpaid coins. Called and gave AX# over the telephone.
While it took them a while to figure it out all settled now.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Had an unpleasant experience in Bank of America in New York this afternoon.

I walked in with $2k.

Walked over to the counter and told them I'd like to deposit them.

At which point the chief teller comes out from behind the glass to ask "How am I getting these coin" and telling me "you're making money from it"... and... "we've heard about this stuff that's going on"... etc.

Blah blah blah - she had clearly heard it second or third hand from someone else and couldn't quite piece things together.

Then she told me that I would have to have a business account to make the desposit.

Then she told me there was no room left in the vault.

Then she accused me of depositing lots of coins before. This is true but at other branches and never this one. Also can they actually tell that on their computers?? I would have thought it would simply state CASH DESPOSIT rather than COINS!

Then after arguing politely infront of customers, (me stating I dont understand why the bank doesn't take money?)

In the end she agree to take the full measly $2k so long as I never do this again.

Which I agreed to do but will obviously not adhear to.

What irritated me mainly (and humiliated me slightly) was that she went from teller to teller telling them not to accept desposits from me if I bring in coins! She whispered in the ear of each one and pointed at me through the glass!!!!!!!!
She acted unprofessionally but she does have the right not to accept the coins.

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
I have NEVER been treated like that before. This lady of course was not American (and I say that because Americans understand customer service usually) - but I want to complain and I think I am well within my rights to do so.

Shocking behaviour.

Mike
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:19 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by mikeef
She acted unprofessionally but she does have the right not to accept the coins.

Mike
What I've always wondered about is the refusal to accept a deposit. I would think that there would need to be some type of written policy about it.

I understand it can be a pain but unless there is something written, what prevents them from making up all sorts of rules on the fly about who or what can be deposited.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by pkerr
What I've always wondered about is the refusal to accept a deposit. I would think that there would need to be some type of written policy about it.

I understand it can be a pain but unless there is something written, what prevents them from making up all sorts of rules on the fly about who or what can be deposited.
There's information somewhere in this thread which I'm too lazy to search right now, but there's actually no need to make up any rules. Unless you are trying to pay a debt, there is nothing in the law that obligates the bank to accept your deposit.

Besides, bank employees make up rules all the time. Why should they be any different than the airline or the TSA?

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.