Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA, BA, delta
Originally Posted by XStAnt
Is this deal really dead? What about getting a money order from Walmart for a minimal fee? It's an extra step in the process and will probably take longer for the coins to arrive, but.....
You can't buy money orders with credit cards unless you want to be charged the "cash advance" APR immediately after purchase...
Old Jul 23, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by ohnodapopo
You can't buy money orders with credit cards unless you want to be charged the "cash advance" APR immediately after purchase...
False. It's been done, it can still be done.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by XStAnt
Is this deal really dead? What about getting a money order from Walmart for a minimal fee? It's an extra step in the process and will probably take longer for the coins to arrive, but.....
If you could buy a money order with a credit card why would you use it to buy coins to deposit. You can just deposit the money order.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by julielou2
It's about time! Now we can get rid of this ridiculous thread and free up the Flyer Talk servers!
Don't be hatin'. Let some of us successful ones have time to grieve.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
Originally Posted by zombietooth
One of the buyers who bought 10,000 coins from me for a 14.5% premium was going to make jewelry out of them.
Nicely played!
Old Jul 23, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Not that I've been forced to kick the habit, what am I going to do with all of my coin paraphernalia (case knives, heavy duty bags, lots of deposit slips, etc ...)
Old Jul 23, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Damn my luck...

I had never ordered these coins till now as I found all the effort needed for a few thousand miles to be not worth it (plus may be the ethical dilemma also created a mental blockage). But I recently got the 2 AA 75K offer cards which require 2x4K spend in 6 months and suddenly the effort needed and questionable ethics became worth it :-). So I go to the website today to place my first order and see the offer is gone. Well at least now I can comfort myself that I didn't have to compromise my ethics for some stupid miles .

I'll be able to meet the spending limit anyway, just that the coins would have helped me reach there faster.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
But it's like a car crash...
More like a sewer bath. The last couple of hundred posts have been dominated by a few extremest ideologues who trade in talking points. Lots of repetition but absent any critical thought.

This thread has devolved into a car wreck. Interesting to watch but not much fun for the participants.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by QL_714
Same thing I was thinking. Why is a thread still open when the deal is dead? It was always locked before when there was no new information. Can it be the amount of hits/money for this site?
Think of this as a memorial funeral for a dear departed friend. Many here have spent innumerable hours ordering, unpacking, hauling, spending etc. Many will go through withdrawal. We need time to mourn and say goodbye.

Even my son is mourning, he loved spending the coins in the school cafeteria.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL SkyMiles
I have a feeling that with CC purchase ending - the order numbers will drop off the cliff and mint will be left holding coins in their vaults. How many people will do really like the $1 coins for them to order those using check or wire payments??
Old Jul 23, 2011, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by balima
Think of this as a memorial funeral for a dear departed friend. Many here have spent innumerable hours ordering, unpacking, hauling, spending etc. Many will go through withdrawal. We need time to mourn and say goodbye.

Even my son is mourning, he loved spending the coins in the school cafeteria.
Too bad NPR wouldn't hae included how much time was spent ordering the coins, unpacking them, SPENDING them, etc.

Tell your son to blame NPR

The guy at the ice cream place my nephew loves is going to miss them as well. They only accept cash so I use the coins for the purchase as well as the tip jar. We went there after lunch. I am going to deposit all the rolled coins I left out to put into circulation on Monday but had half a roll left in my car and decided to spend them there. I told Raul this college guy that usually waits on us today that it would probably be the last time he would see the coins (thinking he hated them). He said he was sad to hear it because he liked them. He said when they divided up the tip jar he always wanted the dollar coin I put in and would exchange the dollar coins in the till for his own paper currency. Raul said he wasn't very disciplined about saving money but for some reason didn't want to spend the $ coins, so he was putting them away to help pay for his spring break expenses.

A lady that runs a convenience store that I frequent by my office said she puts them away for her vacation fund. She doesn't have a spot in the till for them and doesn't feel like depositing them so she just exchanges her own paper currency for them and puts the coins aside and is saving them towards her vacation spending money.

Raul from the ice cream place said he likes them and offered to buy up to $50 of them when I was telling him the story. He really wants me to keep some to spend when we go there
Old Jul 23, 2011, 3:45 pm

I would be more likely to place blame on Pickles or Astro for this sped up shutdown. Pickles was flaunting how he got around the system with the pictures and step by step process all to drive traffic to his site. Same with Astro and his pimping of AX cards thru BigCrumbs all to get the extra referral fee. Shame that deals die due to stupidity but hopefully they have learned their lessons as they are much quieter about their current deals and dont let everyone in on them.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Ken in Phx
I would be more likely to place blame on Pickles or Astro for this sped up shutdown.
I disagree. I think it was Col Mustard in the Library with the lead pipe.

P.S. It's mrpickles.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by Ken in Phx
I would be more likely to place blame on Pickles or Astro for this sped up shutdown.
Gherkin, Kosher Dill, or George's dog?

Originally Posted by PatMike
I disagree. I think it was Col Mustard in the Library with the lead pipe.
I don't know about Col, but Deli Mustard goes well with gherkins, kosher dills, and some dogs.

Originally Posted by PatMike
P.S. It's mrpickles.
Maybe he blames Heinz, Vlasic, or Clausen?

Last edited by MojaveJack; Jul 23, 2011 at 6:26 pm
Old Jul 23, 2011, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh20
...Many of you couldn't understand the simple concept of $1000 per 10 days...and instead turned to other methods of multiple credit cards, different addresses...etc.

A far better alternative for them should've been to cut the limit of $500 every ten days, or something along those lines, rather than killing it all together.
Wouldn't have made much of a difference... same people will buy just as much, and only need twice as many credit cards/addresses .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.