Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2024 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2024, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Please fill the form out to contribute!

DATAPOINT COLLECTION: https://forms.gle/trtMWXZp4mKUk31m7
VIEW DATAPOINTS: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2024 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2024, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by lowkeyflyer
You must be joking or your reading comprehension skills are lacking.

1. I've liquidated over $200k worth of just these IC cards with the exact method in discussion.
2. This is not a case of biting off more than I can chew and I have no problem floating $50k+. I'm only floating 4x$500 right now and that's even in process of refund.
3. Lol.

I don't think you're understanding that IC has blocked ANY full swipe purchase at WM not just money-related. It's location dependent but slowly spreading.
Weird flex here, but sure. It's my reading comprehension that is an issue. It must have been someone else who screeched about reporting Incomm to CFPB for enforcing the terms you agree to when buying their cards.

Literally make a Federal case out something you purport to be less than 1% of your MS. Move on.
Old May 6, 2024, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by lowkeyflyer
I don't think you're understanding that IC has blocked ANY full swipe purchase at WM not just money-related. It's location dependent but slowly spreading.
Welp, not at my location.
Old May 11, 2024, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
I ran into something thats a potential issue this week. My go-to stores are asking for ID and phone number for any amount of MO purchase.

Anyone else run into this issue? Other than asking for ID, its been BAU for the purchase process.
Old May 11, 2024, 9:07 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by 1120
I ran into something thats a potential issue this week. My go-to stores are asking for ID and phone number for any amount of MO purchase.

Anyone else run into this issue? Other than asking for ID, its been BAU for the purchase process.
nope.

If the CSR is hitting a lot of buttons on the screen before asking you for ID, it means that they are triggering the ID check. When the system triggers it automatically (for +1k MO), there is none of that
Old May 12, 2024, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA

Probably a store audit of their MO activity. For what reason is only speculation.
I would hold off for a week or two at that particular location and do your business elsewhere, just to be on the safe side.

My money would be on no further ID activity like that at that time (taking into account Soy's $1000 threshold.
Old May 12, 2024, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
Probably a store audit of their MO activity. For what reason is only speculation.
I would hold off for a week or two at that particular location and do your business elsewhere, just to be on the safe side.

My money would be on no further ID activity like that at that time (taking into account Soy's $1000 threshold.
I will try another Walmart in the area. Its worrisome because the exact thing occurred at two locations and both MOs were less than $1K. One of the clerks referred to a new policy.
Old May 12, 2024, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I will try another Walmart in the area. Its worrisome because the exact thing occurred at two locations and both MOs were less than $1K. One of the clerks referred to a new policy.
Time cures many MSing issues such as these. I suspect that the 2 WMs you use are in the same network, so my above advice is still the same. Go out of network (i.e. travel a bit) and I suspect that you will not find the problem.

And in two or three weeks, all will be back to normal......I hope
Old May 12, 2024, 12:03 pm

Programs: IHG, Hilton diamond (IHG match) SPG gold
Yes Colorado
they ask immediately for ph no and ID
They state they need address on ID or a bill
I kept it under 1000 a day and I’m not sure how much info is actually being retained
different from staff trigger
Old May 12, 2024, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by 808pineapple
Yes Colorado
they ask immediately for ph no and ID
They state they need address on ID or a bill
I kept it under 1000 a day and Im not sure how much info is actually being retained
different from staff trigger
Idaho for me.
Old May 12, 2024, 3:59 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, hyatt GP
My very friendly CS told me same thing, they rollout new software that required phone number and ID for ANY MO purchase (even $1).
Old May 12, 2024, 11:14 pm

Region by Region, rollout commencing
Old May 12, 2024, 11:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond
I ran into something that’s a potential issue this week. My go-to stores are asking for ID and phone number for any amount of MO purchase.

Anyone else run into this issue? Other than asking for ID, it’s been BAU for the purchase process.
Yes it started happening this week. My 2 stores in the area did not have this even just a week back. Both Walmarts asked for phone number first, then asked for ID. the first money center clerk said its "building a profile" and wont ask again for ID as the phone number is now in the system. FWIW, the amount was 465 in both the walmart so no where near even 500$ threshold so its a system update. To clarify, it was only 1 money order in each of the walmart and it was 465$. Its asking phone number and then id (if number not in the system) before they even start going inside to do anything money order related

Does not bode well. fyi, i am in Southern California.
Old May 13, 2024, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by ketelone
Yes it started happening this week. My 2 stores in the area did not have this even just a week back. Both Walmarts asked for phone number first, then asked for ID. the first money center clerk said its "building a profile" and wont ask again for ID as the phone number is now in the system. FWIW, the amount was 465 in both the walmart so no where near even 500$ threshold so its a system update. To clarify, it was only 1 money order in each of the walmart and it was 465$. Its asking phone number and then id (if number not in the system) before they even start going inside to do anything money order related

Does not bode well. fyi, i am in Southern California.
What are you concerned that their endgame is?
Old May 13, 2024, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Zepcro
My guess is the end game is traceability, which really should not give us too much concern.
I have no problem explaining what I am doing. If I didn't want funds to be traced, I would be concerned.
Old May 13, 2024, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Zepcro
KYC Id assume. This crackdown on money laundering is getting very annoying because its bringing extra attention to innocent people like us who just want more credit card points. Better believe they are building a profile so they know whos requesting tens of thousands of money orders.

Couple that with any SARs from your bank(s) and you can probably assume the feds are giving you a closer look.

Keep ALL receipts from gift card purchases, the actual cards, the money order receipts, and deposit receipts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.