Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2024 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2024 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
I got up the nerve to try again after my last failed attempt and this one somewhat worked.

Attempted 4 cards for $800 total. First 3 went through then last card tried 6 times and still wouldn’t go through, verified balance and just wouldn’t go. Kindly asked to do only 3 and was able to do 3 of the $200’s of VGC for $599 MO.
The maximum you can do is three cards, that's why the 4th kept failing.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:38 pm

What's the procedure for Pathward/Incomm combo? I just tried $500 and it didn't go through (I normally do Sutton/Incomm). Called Incomm and they said the card is fine.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Attempted 4 cards for $800 total. First 3 went through then last card tried 6 times and still wouldn’t go through, verified balance and just wouldn’t go. Kindly asked to do only 3 and was able to do 3 of the $200’s of VGC for $599 MO.
Originally Posted by LukFilm
The maximum you can do is three cards, that's why the 4th kept failing.
If we're talking about using VGCs for MO's at WM the max number of swipes you can do is definitely FOUR, not three. I've done this at least 1000 times.

PS: if we're talking about loading Discover at WM then the max # of VGC's that can be swiped is three, that's because inserting the Discover card counts as one of the max allowed four swipes.
SPN Lifer and cruisr like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:45 pm

Really? It changed after Christmas to three swipes only. Can anyone else collaborate?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:01 pm

any body tried ms with SecureSpend with 409758 from walmart? i can neither load or mo for 500 amount, last successful dp was back in jan this year.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:58 pm

Pathward VGCs fail with Debit not available no matter what I tried. I can get only get them to work at grocery story. Anybody had luck with them?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:43 pm

Really? It changed after Christmas to three swipes only. Can anyone else collaborate?
This whole thread has countless data points discussing this since EOY 2023. I'd suggest going back and reading all about this here. It's all been discussed.
yanxfann and cuthroat like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by msthegame
Pathward VGCs fail with Debit not available no matter what I tried. I can get only get them to work at grocery story. Anybody had luck with them?
Yes, it worked this week for me to get a MO for $997 at WM. Countless others have noted they've been working.

What amount did you try to liquidate on the card?
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:38 am

I tried $450. I did this on multiple trips, still getting the same message.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:48 am

I'm guessing you tried full $500 once, then tried $450? Or did you start with $450 from the beginning? My experience is once you try the $500 the card gets fraud locked and you have to call for a replacement. Use this script "I've tried to use the card at multiple different merchants and it's always denied". That works for me. They FedEx a new card and it arrives in about 5 to 7 days.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:21 pm

Was this a Pathward / Meta or Pathward / InComm?
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by SailorJoe
I'm guessing you tried full $500 once, then tried $450? Or did you start with $450 from the beginning? My experience is once you try the $500 the card gets fraud locked and you have to call for a replacement. Use this script "I've tried to use the card at multiple different merchants and it's always denied". That works for me. They FedEx a new card and it arrives in about 5 to 7 days.
I started with $450, after it failed, I went to grocery store and got a MO for the same amount. I tried this few times with different cards, everytime it failed, I was able to get a MO for the same amount at the grocery store. It would be good to have one more MS Avenue. Doesn't say in the back if it's meta or incomm.

Last edited by msthegame; Mar 29, 2024 at 1:19 pm
Old Mar 29, 2024, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Incomm has the most incompetent call center and website of any company I have worked with. This game of whack a mole is not funny. Will it work, will it not work? I’m finishing up two CCs to get free night certs and then I am done.
SPN Lifer and hurnik like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 4:34 pm

(You might need to expand/blow up the attached pic to see all the numbers). It's consistently been a max of 4 swipes since at least 2012.

Note the dates and # of swipes for these WM MO's.
hurnik likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 7:48 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by yanxfann
(You might need to expand/blow up the attached pic to see all the numbers). It's consistently been a max of 4 swipes since at least 2012.

Note the dates and # of swipes for these WM MO's.
4 Swipe rule is still present, however recently a new velocity rule came in and after 3x 500 swipes in a ?? time period the fourth swipe has a high chance of failure. I think that is what is being referred to here

Having said that I have had 2 instances at different WM in the past month where I did not get the velocity fail at 2x 1k Simons (Disco and MO).
I have also had success with full drain 500 one day, and then a fail the next day. So the only sure thing is YMMV.
Mostly I liquidate at Full Value -$1 as repeated failed swipes are a sure way to draw unwanted attention
Caryite likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.