Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SARs good/bad/neutral?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2022, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

SARs good/bad/neutral?

Recently, local grocery store where I had been getting MOs started asking me to fill out SAR forms. Definitely got put on some watch list, as I got the same treatment at 2 different stores. I was honest with all my responses, gave my license over for the info, and was pleasant in all interactions.

Question to you all, how "bad" is it to have to fill out multiple SARs? Should I lay low for a while, or is it no big deal to fill out multiple SARs? Definitely don't want someone to be knocking on my door, though I'd be happy to explain & be transparent. Is there a monthly "limit" that gets reset, or once I'm on the list, I'm on the list?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by jtcho78
Recently, local grocery store where I had been getting MOs started asking me to fill out SAR forms. Definitely got put on some watch list, as I got the same treatment at 2 different stores. I was honest with all my responses, gave my license over for the info, and was pleasant in all interactions.

Question to you all, how "bad" is it to have to fill out multiple SARs? Should I lay low for a while, or is it no big deal to fill out multiple SARs? Definitely don't want someone to be knocking on my door, though I'd be happy to explain & be transparent. Is there a monthly "limit" that gets reset, or once I'm on the list, I'm on the list?
Whenever I see a question like the above crop up, it leads me to believe that the person asking it may need some additional information on the use of SARs and when reporting might be required. This article is quite useful as a primer and I would suggest perusing it at your leisure.

I suspect that the level of MO purchases you were doing at your grocery chain tweeked some busybody's interest and now you are on their watch list of shady characters. Of course you are doing nothing illegal but that doesn't stop our local vigilantes who believe that they are catching the next Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán.

I prefer to avoid such people and I do so by limiting my MO purchasing at any one merchant so that I don't have to provide ID.

If you were looking for a recommendation,(and I am uncertain a to whether you are), I would suggest finding another MO outlet and spreading out your MO purchases between several venders to limit your activity with each.

The only downside to being asked for ID and filling out SARs is that the merchant may ban you from ever buying MOs from them. There are DPs out there where this has happened.
jtcho78 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your response. I did make a mistake of hitting it hard over the course of a few weeks. Didn't think that paper logs at the stores would've been consolidated & analyzed, but apparently they did. Laying low for a bit, will revisit here & there, lean on the relationships that I've built with some associates to see how long I'd be on the naughty list.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:39 am
jk2

I have a similar situation. I purchase MO in one specific store frequently (but not for large amounts), so CSRs mostly know me very well but never asked any questions. Last week, one CSR asked me if I ran a business and my reply was quite vague "no business, this is just for me". I felt this response wasn't good, but I wasn't prepared for it and didn't want to reveal MS. This chain has a rule to sell MOs with debit cards only, matching names/IDs. Most cashiers do not ask me for it.

This week, I went again and saw this CSR again, who worked on other register. When I was paying for MOs, she went somewhere and manager came and start asking me questions - what is the reason for purchasing MOs so frequently, why paying with different cards. I didn't reveal MS again, just said this is for paying personal bills and different cards because I don't want to use my personal bank debit card to avoid fraud. He said OK and I got my MOs, but this whole thing bothers me. I don't think he was getting the full picture. Should I reveal what I do? Then probably I will not be able to purchase MOs, because gebits are not allowed. If stop using this store, then they might think I'm criminal and disappeared because of questions.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by jk2
I have a similar situation. I purchase MO in one specific store frequently (but not for large amounts), so CSRs mostly know me very well but never asked any questions. Last week, one CSR asked me if I ran a business and my reply was quite vague "no business, this is just for me". I felt this response wasn't good, but I wasn't prepared for it and didn't want to reveal MS. This chain has a rule to sell MOs with debit cards only, matching names/IDs. Most cashiers do not ask me for it.

This week, I went again and saw this CSR again, who worked on other register. When I was paying for MOs, she went somewhere and manager came and start asking me questions - what is the reason for purchasing MOs so frequently, why paying with different cards. I didn't reveal MS again, just said this is for paying personal bills and different cards because I don't want to use my personal bank debit card to avoid fraud. He said OK and I got my MOs, but this whole thing bothers me. I don't think he was getting the full picture. Should I reveal what I do? Then probably I will not be able to purchase MOs, because gebits are not allowed. If stop using this store, then they might think I'm criminal and disappeared because of questions.
The good thing about retail stores is turnover.
My suggestion would be to avoid this store if you can for about 2-3 months, and then return and see if the same people are staffing the CSC. If not, they probably have moved on to some other job or somewhere else in the store, and you are probably good to go.
However, I would be more judicious in your use of that site, and I would develop a better explanation of why you purchase MOs. You don't have to be truthful, just credible.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:24 am
jk2

Originally Posted by radonc1
The good thing about retail stores is turnover.
My suggestion would be to avoid this store if you can for about 2-3 months, and then return and see if the same people are staffing the CSC. If not, they probably have moved on to some other job or somewhere else in the store, and you are probably good to go.
However, I would be more judicious in your use of that site, and I would develop a better explanation of why you purchase MOs. You don't have to be truthful, just credible.
You are right, I have to prepare a better explanation. One way, explaining my activity as earning points/miles/cash back will look non-suspicious (I guess), but it will involve GC usage which will probably be a big no-no from that manager. Since I come to this store for long time, those CSRs see me for many-many months, so it is more than just occasional purchase.

What kind of "credible" explanation might be that will not burn the site?
Old Sep 1, 2022, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by jk2
You are right, I have to prepare a better explanation. One way, explaining my activity as earning points/miles/cash back will look non-suspicious (I guess), but it will involve GC usage which will probably be a big no-no from that manager. Since I come to this store for long time, those CSRs see me for many-many months, so it is more than just occasional purchase.

What kind of "credible" explanation might be that will not burn the site?
I always defer to the truth (because it's probably the only legal activity that makes sense, anything else leaving too much to the imagination is worse IMO) but you can be vague that you use a debit card that earns rewards and not mention GCs.
andyandy likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 12:34 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by 3ZeroT
I always defer to the truth (because it's probably the only legal activity that makes sense, anything else leaving too much to the imagination is worse IMO) but you can be vague that you use a debit card that earns rewards and not mention GCs.
Unfortunately, they know I use 2 cards each time and they asked why. I told them my card have limit and I use 2 different cards each time so where will be no potential fraud on my cards. I am not sure if it was sufficient or not. I'll see who things will go next time.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
Unfortunately, they know I use 2 cards each time and they asked why. I told them my card have limit and I use 2 different cards each time so where will be no potential fraud on my cards. I am not sure if it was sufficient or not. I'll see who things will go next time.
I use this explanation as well and it is fairly creditable.
Many debit cards have limits on withdrawal. $200 may seem low but then again, the holder of such a card may be a bad credit risk
Old Sep 7, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by 3ZeroT
<this is not legal advice> Same. My default answer is "I do it to get frequent flier miles." Personally, I believe that being transparent (if asked) is the best way to avoid having SARs filed. Under the most recent precedent I'm aware of, MS for points/SUBs is neither illegal nor taxable. I did a post years back about SARs/CTRs, etc., the gist of which was "you're not doing anything illegal, why lie or be evasive?" Discretion is fine, but deception just invites more scrutiny. </this is not legal advice>

Andyandy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.