Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Issue With Mastercard Giftcards (Purchase Not Authorized and Funds Drained)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

I just read a report about the following: "It looks like there is currently an issue with Mastercard gift cards when trying to use them to load bluebird/serve or purchase money orders. It seems that an error “not authorized” occurs, transaction is then declined but then funds are drained from the card. Not sure if there is a way to really resolve this issue, but something to keep in mind. If this has happened to you, please share your experiences below."

-source: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/issue...-then-drained/
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:23 pm

Cards: -MCGC, Meta
where: -DG
doing: -Serve

both purchased from Giant ~3 weeks earlier.

$500 x 2 drained. DG told me to wait 3-5 biz days. today was biz day 5. I’m calling GCM tomorrow to file disputes.UGH!
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:26 am

happened to #metoo .
4x $200 staples MCGCs “not authorized” toward purchase. VGCs worked without problem on same transaction. Zero balance on all 4 MCGCs. But store receipt doesn’t even show the MCGCs.

Will start dispute with GCM. Has anyone successfully completed a dispute with GCM? What info did you provide?
GCM said "investigation will take 45-90 days" (obvi not guaranteed to be in my favor). Any other recourse? Thanks for any tips.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by purcitron
happened to #metoo .
4x $200 staples MCGCs “not authorized” toward purchase. VGCs worked without problem on same transaction. Zero balance on all 4 MCGCs. But store receipt doesn’t even show the MCGCs.

Will start dispute with GCM. Has anyone successfully completed a dispute with GCM? What info did you provide?
GCM said "investigation will take 45-90 days" (obvi not guaranteed to be in my favor). Any other recourse? Thanks for any tips.
Was yours a Serve load?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
Was yours a Serve load?
no, it was a purchase
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:27 am

I faxed in my Dispute form last night. Not sure if it was the right thing to put, but I put Serve purchase as the 'item' trying to purchase.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:09 pm

There has been some discussion of this issue in the FT-MS thread for Kroger, which is where it happened to me using MCGCs issued by Meta/Blackhawk. Also happened to me using same cards at Publix. Common denominator for me was using $500 cards for "full" $500 purchase, e.g., using it as first or second card in a 4-swipe $2k purchase at Kroger.

Since I need to liquidate other MCGC cards while this issue is being worked, I have adopted practice of using less than the full load on the card, e.g., buying a $498 MO with one swipe of a $500 card. I also filed Cardholder Dispute Form for each of my 3 cards that were drained.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:34 pm

If you did not register the card, the website won't allow it if the balance is $0.00 so you have to do it by phone before filing the dispute form.

Did this happen to anyone more than 30 days ago? Some prepaid cards hold temporary authorizations for 30 days. I was affected on October 13 so I will be filing for a $500 loss. The charge immediately appeared in the same manner as a posted charge. I am not sure whether the https://mcgift.giftcardmall.com website actually has a different way of displaying temporary authorizations vs. posted charges?

The dispute must be filed within 60 days of the purchase, but the instructions say "a merchant has 30 days from the date of return to post a credit to your card account."

Unfortunately they will probably just rule against everyone.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:14 pm

They can’t just keep everyone’s money, it has to be somewhere. I’m sure it’ll resolve once enough people file disputes.

I’m also not sure about the dispute filing online. I did register the card but don’t see anywhere to dispute a charge besides the PDF form near the bottom. That’s what I filled out and faxed in.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by alanisrox69
They can’t just keep everyone’s money, it has to be somewhere. I’m sure it’ll resolve once enough people file disputes.

I’m also not sure about the dispute filing online. I did register the card but don’t see anywhere to dispute a charge besides the PDF form near the bottom. That’s what I filled out and faxed in.
You can also email the form:

Please sign and complete this form then send it to us using the email address below. For faster resolution of your claim we encourage you to email or respond to emails with this information. Email responses will link your documentation back to your case if one has already been opened. You can also mail or fax if you don’t have an email account.

ATTN: Cardholder Dispute Services:
6220 Stoneridge Mall Road
Pleasanton, CA 94588
Fax: (623) 336-6699
Email: [email protected]
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by alanisrox69
I faxed in my Dispute form last night. Not sure if it was the right thing to put, but I put Serve purchase as the 'item' trying to purchase.
I plan to send the dispute form. Which "Type of Dispute" did you select for the dispute? Did you choose "Transaction did not complete"?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:51 am

Are the $200 mastercards working now for money orders at grocery stores. I still have some left from last weeks Staples deal.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by kirkpd
Are the $200 mastercards working now for money orders at grocery stores. I still have some left from last weeks Staples deal.
Depends on which grocery store. Most are not working. Some are. Seems to be working at wally world though.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Jet Blue Mosaic
Glad I only bought one of these cards.
Card faulted “invalid”
Merchant claims they show “authorization declined”
Faxed in dispute form
Will give BH a week or two to resolve not 45-90 days
After two weeks I will dispute purchase with Chase.
Clearly this is a defective product
Let Staples and BH fight it out
Everyone ought to dispute to their bank
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by baobao73
I plan to send the dispute form. Which "Type of Dispute" did you select for the dispute? Did you choose "Transaction did not complete"?
yes, transaction did not complete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.