Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Issue With Mastercard Giftcards (Purchase Not Authorized and Funds Drained)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Issue With Mastercard Giftcards (Purchase Not Authorized and Funds Drained)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by soy
Does not seem to be color/batch specific as we hear reports that cover the $200's at Staples and the variables at grocers. I am not convinced by the 'don't drain full amount' theory as I read reports elsewhere saying that also failed. I think the most likely explanation is post 24 above which points at an issue with Maestros handling of the transaction.

Be interesting to see if anyone gets problems in using one of these cards for organic spend
I have had no problem using for organic spend.
RedSun likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by kirkpd
I have had no problem using for organic spend.
Organic spend as debit or credit? (I'm wondering if the problem will happen for any debit transaction.)
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:10 pm

I had success liquidating one $200 MCGC from the same batch purchased at Staples by buying a $198 MO (with fee $198.46). Seems something about draining the cards to zero that triggers the "not authorized" problem?
Will try again and report tomorrow.
zmicer88 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:16 pm

MCGC Drain Updates?

Anyone have any updates for those who’s cards were declined and auto drained? I submitted a dispute on Saturday and received an email yesterday saying my dispute is in process and could take 30-60 days.

Any data points on funds getting transferred back onto the cards and the issue resolving itself?

The grocery store I worked with called their corporate office and confirmed no money was exchanged on their end and the transaction was voided.

I took advantage of the Staples offer to trade in MCGS for Visa and liquidate those. My store is following the add rules though so it’s slow going right now.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Socalvb27
Anyone have any updates for those who’s cards were declined and auto drained? I submitted a dispute on Saturday and received an email yesterday saying my dispute is in process and could take 30-60 days.

Any data points on funds getting transferred back onto the cards and the issue resolving itself?

The grocery store I worked with called their corporate office and confirmed no money was exchanged on their end and the transaction was voided.

I took advantage of the Staples offer to trade in MCGS for Visa and liquidate those. My store is following the add rules though so it’s slow going right now.
no news here. Waiting on dispute update.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Socalvb27
I like it. Surprised they let you do it though.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:16 am

Any idea if this issue is still going on for cards used going forward?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:45 am

Communication Update

Hello,

Our Disputes team is currently working on your Case# XXX, and will provide you with an up date as soon as possible. Please be advised that dispute claims are resolved within 30-60 days, however, the overall process may take up to 90 days.

Please add [email protected] to your safe sender list by clicking here. This is in case your mailbox filter or ISP (Internet Service Provider) may stop you from receiving such e-mails.

We appreciate your business and value you as a customer.

Sincerely,

Cardholder Dispute Services
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
Any idea if this issue is going on for cards used going forward?
I keep using the cards but only for swipes of less than full load. Example: I will purchase $898 MO using 2x $200 VGC, then pay remaining balance with $500 MCGC, leaving small amount on last card. I have not had any problems using this approach.

P.S. FWIW, for me, the small amount left on the MCGC "works normally," i.e., can be used for small purchase with remaining funds correctly deducted/drained and applied to the purchase transaction
danpeake likes this.

Last edited by tuphat; Nov 9, 2019 at 12:10 pm
Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
I keep using the cards but only for swipes of less than full load. Example: I will purchase $898 MO using 2x $200 VGC, then pay remaining balance with $500 MCGC, leaving small amount on last card. I have not had any problems using this approach.
That’s really strange, I tried doing the exact same thing (except with one VGC) at WM and it still didn’t work. I tried the exact same way I’ve had success in the past and now it doesn’t allow me the option to change payment type before coming up as invalid payment type.

CS at WM said they’ve changed their system recently, but I wouldn’t take that one at face value.

I cancelled the transaction after the VGC went through and it showed up on the transactions for that card as paid and then reversed. At least there’s silver lining that VGCs are still reliable for now.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by tuphat

P.S. FWIW, for me, the small amount left on the MCGC "works normally," i.e., can be used for small purchase with remaining funds correctly deducted/drained and applied to the purchase transaction
After read all the trouble,I never even tried to use my mcgc until read your dp today, went to grocery store and bought one 195 MO few minutes ago. worked without issue, will use other 3 I have later for mo. Then use leftovers for groceries.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:03 am

This is not intended as legal advice, but --
For those of us that have filed disputes with Metabank by email or fax, I think it would be prudent to send hard copy to the Sioux Falls notice address listed in the card agreement, which is clear that a written notice "not sent electronically" is required before beginning a lawsuit or arbitration. Hopefully it doesn't get to that point, but this would seem an open-and-shut case for arbitration.
nwflyboy, Panache and Clueless12 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:33 pm

So does this happen with serve load as well?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:58 am

Are these cards working safely again? Problem fixed??

Thanks
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
Are these cards working safely again? Problem fixed??

Thanks
don't think anyone knows for sure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.