Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Issue With Mastercard Giftcards (Purchase Not Authorized and Funds Drained)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Issue With Mastercard Giftcards (Purchase Not Authorized and Funds Drained)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
Does anybody even read the t&c's? Unless you opted out, arbitration is the only real path to addressing an unresolved dispute for most people: "If you do not want this Dispute Clause to apply, you must send us a signed notice within 60 calendar days after you purchase the Card. You must send the notice in writing (and not electronically) to our Notice Address, Attn: General Counsel. Provide your name, address and Card number. State that you “opt out” of the dispute clause."

P.S. OK, my last arbitration post, for reals.
sure. though technically, it hasnt been 60 days for me. probably same for you.
and that still doesnt preclude you from other avenues other than legal court.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by purcitron
i filed complaints with outside organizations.
whats your plan if the BHN dispute fails?
Which outside organizations? BBB?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:51 am

A couple years ago, I had a couple VGCs that didn't get refunded after a MO purchase transaction was voided at Kame-Apart. I had to file disputes with BHN and sent in the voided receipt I took pictures of as proof. They are slow as ...., but did eventually refund the money. I also filed complaints with CFPB as well, after about 60 days of being ignored by BHN. About a week/ten days later, I had my money. I don't know if the CPFB complaint lit a fire under them or not.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by ricohitman
Which outside organizations? BBB?
CFPB, AG, BBB in another state, FTC.
the more complaints from consumers via official channels the more likely this will be resolved in the consumers' favor.. though still a long shot.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by shadow520
A couple years ago, I had a couple VGCs that didn't get refunded after a MO purchase transaction was voided at Kame-Apart. I had to file disputes with BHN and sent in the voided receipt I took pictures of as proof. They are slow as ...., but did eventually refund the money. I also filed complaints with CFPB as well, after about 60 days of being ignored by BHN. About a week/ten days later, I had my money. I don't know if the CPFB complaint lit a fire under them or not.
you had a voided/declined receipt. thats the clincher. most of us do not in this round of "not authorized" errors. unlikely we will see out lost money again.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
you had a voided/declined receipt. thats the clincher. most of us do not in this round of "not authorized" errors. unlikely we will see out lost money again.
So with that point in mind

Is anyone using MCGCs for MS activity, especially in regards to buying MOs?
If so, are they using the "drain only 99% and leave 1% on the card" method, or can one completely drain the card at the time of MO purchase? Or none of the above?

Inquiring minds want to know
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by radonc1
So with that point in mind

Is anyone using MCGCs for MS activity, especially in regards to buying MOs?
If so, are they using the "drain only 99% and leave 1% on the card" method, or can one completely drain the card at the time of MO purchase? Or none of the above?

Inquiring minds want to know
If you're lucky to have gotten a serve/BB during the apocalypse back in May you can still drain at FD and drain to BB at walmart.

The problem places from what I gather for full drains are:

DG, Harris Teeter, Kroger, and possibly some other grocery stores. If you don't drain full amount it's fine.

I've been cashing out via plastiq myself. Higher fees, but lot less risk.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:04 pm

Agreed, the receipt was clincher. But even with that it still took 8+ weeks. Good luck to you all, don't give up.
purcitron likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:10 pm

I have receipts clearly showing the cards being declined at POS, printed on the receipt I got after completing the transactions with different payment.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
I have receipts clearly showing the cards being declined at POS, printed on the receipt I got after completing the transactions with different payment.
then you have a good chance with the BHN dispute. many people in this round of "not authorized" errors did not receive any delined/void receipt.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 12:35 pm

anyone else receive an email from BHN today, which states that the lost money has been refunded?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 12:41 pm

anyone else receive an email from BHN today, which states that the lost money has been refunded?
I did not get the email but I checked and received refunds on 2 of 3 of my disputed cards dated today which say "Missing MasterCard Settlement Credit (via Portal)." Great news!
Old Dec 16, 2019, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by dealhunter32
I did not get the email but I checked and received refunds on 2 of 3 of my disputed cards dated today which say "Missing MasterCard Settlement Credit (via Portal)." Great news!
I also did not get the email. I checked my card balance on the web site and saw the refund was posted to my my card today. I submitted the dispute on 11/4.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

I'm reading news that people that didn't even file a dispute are getting refunded. Hopefully this problem is fixed for everyone that had this issue.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:30 pm

For me, 2 emails received for each disputed transaction -- one with subject "DSxxxxxx - Final Credit Issued" and other "Dispute resolved" -- and $500 restored to each card. Yay!

ETA: Liquidated each disputed card today, no issues but I kept each charge to below full value of card. I will do same going fwd with stack of MCs that I have accumulated.

Last edited by tuphat; Dec 17, 2019 at 7:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.