Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: danpeake
As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. READ the posts below and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

This is the thread for 2019. The previous discussion can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...rt-2018-a.html

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

Note: The policy for allowing gift cards as payment for money orders can be more restrictive with certain stores or certain clerks. Just because an employee says there's a new restrictive policy "for all Walmarts" means nothing. There are plenty of cases where the employee is incorrect and the new policy is only regional or store specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit (gift debit) cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. See above on Visas issued by MetaBank. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. Follow the posts below for the latest information.
3. MC issued by US bank OR Metabank MC (Giftcards.com) can work, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
4. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.(VGC issued by Sunrise also limited to $99/swipe, same as Metabank issued cards, and Sunrise was available immediately).
5. USB work
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually $1 each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for $1 x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transactions: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money. Kates are a distant and pleasant memory now.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

7. SSN/ID entry - Any MO purchases in one transaction at or over $3K requires you to input your SSN. Any MO at or over $1K requires ID input (and ID requirement can also be forced by cashier at any amount).

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080

​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:14 pm

Senior moment: please confirm no specific issues re: use of $500 variable Visa GC issued by Green Dot, to buy MO at WM? Thanks. [ Insert grumpy old man emoji here].
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:33 pm
ogg

This is all so odd to me. There's a warning to keep deposits under $10K to avoid the monthly reporting requirement. There is no monthly reporting requirement. There's a reluctance to put the bank account number on the money order being deposited. Why? I've got a standard rubber stamp with the usual deposit information for my account. I endorse each money order with it. It has my name, the bank's name, the account number, and FOR DEPOSIT ONLY. What fantasy leads anyone to think that NOT putting an account number on a deposit item helps in some way?

As for depositing in an ATM or by mobile deposit, well, opinions differ. I prefer depositing in person because my CU of choice has no lines and is a few steps from the Safeway where i shop daily. I've read many posts by people who had problems with mobile deposits being rejected for not being endorsed properly, not being read properly--or the wrong amounts credited. (Some WM money order machines print so faintly that they're hard to read by a human, let alone an ATM.) I've read about system failures at ATMs, ATM robberies, ATMs reading amounts wrong or skipping MOs in processing (stuck together?). I prefer not to risk that--and to be sure that the deposit is accurate and I know whether there's a hold on it or not. Plus deposits to a teller clear faster in my case.

YMMV.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:54 pm
soy

Programs: various
We might need a separate thread for all these MO deposit discussions. I had to check the thread title to see I was still in the WM MO thread
Chelski likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
... specific issues re: use of $500 variable Visa GC issued by Green Dot, to buy MO at WM
They can be used to buy MO, subject to the following. Any prepaid card sold by Walmart can't be used for the first ~3 hours after purchase. Also the PIN of a Green Dot can not be changed.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by soy
We might need a separate thread for all these MO deposit discussions. I had to check the thread title to see I was still in the WM MO thread
This thread is a headache. All the OT
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:00 pm
soy

In actual WM news (for a change), MO’s at my local WM now cost $1....up from 88c last week
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by craz
I would also think depositing today and sending it out as payment once they clear, is a great way to be shut down. If however a person has a nice bal with the bank and doesnt send out the exact amount that they put in, say dep $6K sent out $5200 and you have a nice min 5 figures in savings , a person has a better chance of remaining alive But dep $6K and a day or later send out $6K you are asking for a shutdown, unless you dont do it often and have a nice amount sitting with the bank
You'd think that - but it seems to be largely luck of the draw. I'd been a Chase customer for years - had over $100k in total deposits with both business and personal checking, savings, and credit card accounts. I'd do occasional MS deposits because the Chase branch was convenient to my MS route - never more than a couple thousand at a time, less than 10k in a month, and the cash flow was a fraction of my real banking volume. But for all of that, I still got shut down by Chase.(much to my Personal Banker's woe).
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:00 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by mordakky
You think ID and no social is less likely to be banned than ID+social?
Don't know for sure, but can't be MORE likely, so why not fly lower under the radar just in case.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:03 am
jk2

Originally Posted by soy
In actual WM news (for a change), MO’s at my local WM now cost $1....up from 88c last week
Yes, the same in FL. Discovered yesterday as well. At least, numbers are round now.
thebat likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:03 am
ogg

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Don't know for sure, but can't be MORE likely, so why not fly lower under the radar just in case.
Because you're reducing your profits or increasing the time you're spending (visiting more stores, e. g.) for no reason if your self-imposed restrictions don't decrease your chances of being shut down.
danpeake likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jeffeverde
You'd think that - but it seems to be largely luck of the draw. I'd been a Chase customer for years - had over $100k in total deposits with both business and personal checking, savings, and credit card accounts. I'd do occasional MS deposits because the Chase branch was convenient to my MS route - never more than a couple thousand at a time, less than 10k in a month, and the cash flow was a fraction of my real banking volume. But for all of that, I still got shut down by Chase.(much to my Personal Banker's woe).

Sorry to hear that. I didn't say it was a Guarantee not to be shut down, and could be you were alive a lot longer then if you were depositing and then sending it right out. Hard to believe they didn't somehow give you a warning, could be they didn't want you around for other reasons. I know my banker sat me down the other week and asked me for some info he never did, the bank wasn't on a hunt , he just wanted to beable to supply them with the info if need be, as they did ask him about the info in regards to others.

I think the Feds are putting more pressure on the banks to watch their accts a lot closer, just from the recent changes my banks have put into place

I do a lot more then you have and don't have any Biz accts = not the most profitable customer type
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:40 am
jk2

Reading reports, it seems that ban in WMT from moneygram may be caused if CSR does eSAR when you purchase a MO. Therefore, I was trying to avoid CSRs I don't like and go to the ones with good attitude. Unfortunately, recently in my go-to WMT many good CSRs left and now I mostly have unpleasant CSRs. Anyway, yesterday I was purchasing 2K MO and noticed that CSR first touched her screen many times before even looking to my DL, and then started to type very fast (with 2 hands), not even looking again to my DL. Then, after 1-2 minutes, she looked over my DL and typed from there (as usual). So, I suspect she did file/report something before doing a MO transaction.

But what happened next - a MO machine did not work and after going back and forth and unsuccessful attempts to reanimate machine, she voided a transaction and gave me 2K cash. Now I'm wondering, if MO wasn't sold - did her report go to moneygram or not? Because, I fear that ban is coming.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:20 am
soy

Originally Posted by jk2
Reading reports, it seems that ban in WMT from moneygram may be caused if CSR does eSAR when you purchase a MO. Therefore, I was trying to avoid CSRs I don't like and go to the ones with good attitude. Unfortunately, recently in my go-to WMT many good CSRs left and now I mostly have unpleasant CSRs. Anyway, yesterday I was purchasing 2K MO and noticed that CSR first touched her screen many times before even looking to my DL, and then started to type very fast (with 2 hands), not even looking again to my DL. Then, after 1-2 minutes, she looked over my DL and typed from there (as usual). So, I suspect she did file/report something before doing a MO transaction.

But what happened next - a MO machine did not work and after going back and forth and unsuccessful attempts to reanimate machine, she voided a transaction and gave me 2K cash. Now I'm wondering, if MO wasn't sold - did her report go to moneygram or not? Because, I fear that ban is coming.
Sometimes its the simple explanation.

I reckon its likely a hostile CSR who decided to manually force the ID request (if it was system prompted you do not get all that typing at the start). My guess is that all the extra typing caused her to screw up along the way thus voiding the MO
Happy likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:30 am
jk2

Originally Posted by soy
Sometimes its the simple explanation.

I reckon its likely a hostile CSR who decided to manually force the ID request (if it was system prompted you do not get all that typing at the start). My guess is that all the extra typing caused her to screw up along the way thus voiding the MO
for 2K in MOs there is always ID request. I don't like this CSR (she is quite cold, not friendly at all), but in the past she didn't give me any troubles. I'll avoid her at any cost (she was working alone yesterday and I didn't want to waste my trip to WMT).
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:52 am

Doable?

My WM doesn't do split payments and will allow only one transaction for MO. I can do a $499 without raising any suspicion. I was wondering if I can do 2 S499 MO without requesting split payment. My thinking is first swipe would take care of the first $499 and then second swipe would take care of second MO. Did anyone do a transaction like this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.