Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: danpeake
As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. READ the posts below and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

This is the thread for 2019. The previous discussion can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...rt-2018-a.html

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

Note: The policy for allowing gift cards as payment for money orders can be more restrictive with certain stores or certain clerks. Just because an employee says there's a new restrictive policy "for all Walmarts" means nothing. There are plenty of cases where the employee is incorrect and the new policy is only regional or store specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit (gift debit) cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. See above on Visas issued by MetaBank. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. Follow the posts below for the latest information.
3. MC issued by US bank OR Metabank MC (Giftcards.com) can work, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
4. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.(VGC issued by Sunrise also limited to $99/swipe, same as Metabank issued cards, and Sunrise was available immediately).
5. USB work
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually $1 each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for $1 x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transactions: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money. Kates are a distant and pleasant memory now.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

7. SSN/ID entry - Any MO purchases in one transaction at or over $3K requires you to input your SSN. Any MO at or over $1K requires ID input (and ID requirement can also be forced by cashier at any amount).

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080

​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Burizado
Hello. I am fairly new, but reading a lot of information on learning a new hobby.
I have made it through this and the Serve threads so far and will be moving to the BB and BP threads.

One question I have, that I did not see in this thread, is do you fill out the MO from and to yourself, or do you use a SO or Fam Member as the "from" person? I read that CUs seem to be more high frequency MO deposit friendly, but I didn't know if everyone is just putting their name in both "To" and "From" on the MO or if it really matters.

I did my first WM MO last week just to test out the process. It was only $99 but I wanted to start low to get the process down before scaling up. I took the MO to my MS bank to deposited with the teller (with my name in both "To" and "From") and there was no issue. I wasn't sure if I bring in multiple MOs, or higher value MOs, with my name in both areas if this would throw up red flags.

Thanks to all those providing information to this community.
I don't really know that it matters. Majority of people's signatures nowadays aren't legible anyways, so honestly, I just scribble the name of a person on there. Lots of people fill their name in both slots and never have an issue. As far as banks vs credit unions, I've heard that CU are more lenient. But I've also heard wells fargo doesn't really care about depositing money orders. Of course everything may depend on volume. I'd just mobile deposit or ATM deposit though.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by History05
I don't really know that it matters. Majority of people's signatures nowadays aren't legible anyways, so honestly, I just scribble the name of a person on there. Lots of people fill their name in both slots and never have an issue. As far as banks vs credit unions, I've heard that CU are more lenient. But I've also heard wells fargo doesn't really care about depositing money orders. Of course everything may depend on volume. I'd just mobile deposit or ATM deposit though.

I would also think depositing today and sending it out as payment once they clear, is a great way to be shut down. If however a person has a nice bal with the bank and doesnt send out the exact amount that they put in, say dep $6K sent out $5200 and you have a nice min 5 figures in savings , a person has a better chance of remaining alive But dep $6K and a day or later send out $6K you are asking for a shutdown, unless you dont do it often and have a nice amount sitting with the bank
Burizado likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:00 pm

Thanks for the quick replies craz and history.

So it sounds like it really doesn't matter what name you put in the "from" area, as long as it isn't your name. I could put Clark Kent on multiple MOs, as long as they are all addressed to me. I would be worried if I put a SO/FamMem/Friends name on the MO, and get shut down I would be effecting their relationship at that institution. Is that typically a valid concern with anyone?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:19 pm
Suspended

So it sounds like it really doesn't matter what name you put in the "from" area, as long as it isn't your name. I could put Clark Kent on multiple MOs, as long as they are all addressed to me. I would be worried if I put a SO/FamMem/Friends name on the MO, and get shut down I would be effecting their relationship at that institution. Is that typically a valid concern with anyone?

Id go with Clark OBrien before Clark Kent or put any 2 friend sames together Peter Dugan and Chris Segal yields me Peter Segal or Chris Dugan
Burizado likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:23 pm

MO's aren't drawn on any personal account. Again, you can scribble a name in there that you can't even read. It doesn't really matter. If the bank ever asked, you can either be honest, or just say you sell stuff on craigslist and take MO's. But there's really no reason to involve the name of anybody you know. Especially one that banks at the same financial institution. The biggest thing though is DON'T deposit MO's in your usual bank. You should have a separate bank setup just for manufactured spending.
Burizado likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:00 pm

Awesome. Thanks for all the great info.

Yeah I have an old checking account, at a different bank than my everyday checking account, that I just kept around for random things. I am planning on using that for MS.

Back to reading and learning.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:09 pm
ogg

I find these worries very strange. You bought the money order--put your name as From. You are depositing the money order in your account--put your name as To. Why would you do anything else? Why is the first suggestion here always to lie about something that's unimportant. Geez.

My own opinion is that you should only deposit money orders with a teller inside a bank branch. The teller then verifies the amount of the money order, tells you of any holds. If you do mobile deposits or deposits in an ATM, you run into limitations on the amounts you can deposit, legibility issues, deposits screened in some central location by people not known to you, possible errors in the amount deposited, and so forth. Unless you can't get to a bank branch, why wouldn't you deposit with a teller?

And there's this:

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/ask-...money-en-1033/
Happy and Burizado like this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by ogg
I find these worries very strange. You bought the money order--put your name as From. You are depositing the money order in your account--put your name as To. Why would you do anything else? Why is the first suggestion here always to lie about something that's unimportant. Geez.

My own opinion is that you should only deposit money orders with a teller inside a bank branch. The teller then verifies the amount of the money order, tells you of any holds. If you do mobile deposits or deposits in an ATM, you run into limitations on the amounts you can deposit, legibility issues, deposits screened in some central location by people not known to you, possible errors in the amount deposited, and so forth. Unless you can't get to a bank branch, why wouldn't you deposit with a teller?

And there's this:

Thanks for the info ogg. I intend to deposit with a teller at a branch office when I am able to. As you noted, too many variables on the ATM deposit (not that it is bad for anyone comfortable with it ).

The reason I asked the question was to know if coming in with a handful of 10 MOs from myself and to myself, if that would raise any red flags. If I were to be questioned I intend to explain what I am doing in a truthful manner. I believe in, as was stated above in this thread, best to always tell the truth, then you never have to remember the lies you tell each person, and it doesn't feel like you are doing something nefarious (which MS is not anyway).
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ogg

And there's this:

imo, putting ones name in both the To & From areas is asking for trouble. Its 1 thing if I write and deposit a check say from my Chase acct to my UsBank acct, thats simply moving funds from 1 acct to another. But I cant help but feel that with MOs it will be seen as very strange. I cant think of a single excuse why I spent $$ on getting a MO instead of using a check,Electronic Transfer or us a DC from the other bank to move the funds, they may even think I got the MOs using ca$h and think Im washing the ca$h
Burizado likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:17 pm
ogg

Originally Posted by craz
imo, putting ones name in both the To & From areas is asking for trouble. Its 1 thing if I write and deposit a check say from my Chase acct to my UsBank acct, thats simply moving funds from 1 acct to another. But I cant help but feel that with MOs it will be seen as very strange. I cant think of a single excuse why I spent $$ on getting a MO instead of using a check,Electronic Transfer or us a DC from the other bank to move the funds, they may even think I got the MOs using ca$h and think Im washing the ca$h
Well, if you're depositing a money order it better have the account holder--you--as the "To:" name. And if you're depositing money orders with a lot of different names as "From:" or even one different name as "From:" why would you believe that wouldn't raise the question of money laundering for that "From;" person--with you being the money launderer...and with tax consequences for you.

If you have records, you can answer any question about your transactions. Sure, banks will close you down at random, but I see no reason to think the names of the money orders matter. If you have a choice of lying or telling the truth, tell the truth. It's simple. You gain nothing by llying--nothing at all--and in this case I think you even invite greater scrutiny and questions for which you can't come up with a legitimate answer. "Mr. Craz, you've been depositing money orders form John Smith. Why? What's his relationship to you? What is this for?" Would you really prefer to answer those questions than show a receipt for buying a gift card, a receipt for using it to buy a money order, and that same money order being deposited in your account?
Happy, FrankMS and Burizado like this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:55 pm
Suspended

imo, putting ones name in both the To & From areas is asking for trouble.
Lol. Well your opinion is trumped by pretty much everyone’s experience. Take this as a learning opportunity
Happy likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Incorrect.

In fact the opposite might actually be true - when you have to lie about the nature of the MOs such as where they come from and for what purposes... pretty soon you will find yourself making lies after lies...

If a bank closes you down it is not because of what the Pay To / From are written on the MOs, it is simply because the bank does not like having MO deposits or too many of such, due to compliance issues or rather, to avoid compliance issues.

As ogg said, the key is whether you can prove where those MOs coming from. Years ago a branch manager at a Wells Fargo branch asked me about the MOs which I happened having all the stubs with me so I showed him that and explained the background of such. He literally was quite impressed on how " to utilize the credit lines." He eventually became a player himself.
Burizado likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 5, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Old Jan 5, 2020, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by beast7276
Lol. Well your opinion is trumped by pretty much everyone’s experience. Take this as a learning opportunity
What's the difference whether you put your name in the To and From field? Though I agree I've never heard of anyone having any issues with it.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beast7276
well Ive never done it and always had a different name in the From area and as of yet havent had any problems or been questioned , but that can change tomorrow for all I know. If a person feels comfortable using their own name in both places then do so, if not (like me) then dont do it

Im sure folks have deposited a large $$ amount at a time, I try not to and try to have a reg check as part of the deposit to boot

What it comes down to is a person should hear both sides and then proceed as they feel comfortable. Just as some folks who can , make their deposits via the ATM, I havent in a very long time as I prefer doing with a teller to make sure it goes thru. Some may not be comfortable going to a teller and prefer the ATM or depositing it via their phone

I personally will keep doing what has worked for me thus far and what I am comfortable with, and Im not comfortable writing my name in both fields
Old Jan 5, 2020, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by History05
What's the difference whether you put your name in the To and From field? Though I agree I've never heard of anyone having any issues with it.
Your name has to be in the To, else just how you can deposit it to your account?

As for the From, read ogg's post 1810 which explains very well why you should be truthful.
Burizado likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.