FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2018-24) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1887866-stop-shop-giant-supermarkets-gas-rewards-points-gift-card-purchases-2018-24-a.html)

ayung25 Mar 17, 2018 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 29535603)
BTW, does anyone know a way to use Giant fuel points WITHOUT tapping your FR points? In the past, if I guessed wrong and had extra expiring Giant fuel points, I would tell a friend or family member to go use my phone number and get cheap gas (talk about making your friends happy!). But now, if I did that, they'd also drain my non-expiring FR points, which would cost me money. Is there a workaround? This might be valuable next month because most of us will probably error and have too many Giant points in 30 days as we seek to stockpile some FR points for May gas purchases.

To only use your Giant/S&S fuel points and not your FR points, use your Giant/S&S card instead of your FR card at the gas pump.

devastitis Mar 17, 2018 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by ayung25 (Post 29536235)
To only use your Giant/S&S fuel points and not your FR points, use your Giant/S&S card instead of your FR card at the gas pump.

does anyone use their FR/Giant/S&S card at the pump? I just use the alt ID.

iahphx Mar 17, 2018 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by ayung25 (Post 29536235)

Interesting. Has anyone else seen it work this way?

Of course, for F&F, I'd have to give them my card, which obviously makes it more complicated.

cwh82 Mar 17, 2018 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 29536305)
Interesting. Has anyone else seen it work this way?

Of course, for F&F, I'd have to give them my card, which obviously makes it more complicated.

I have my S&S card linked to my FR account so even when I use my S&S card at the pump, it uses the FR points too. You can try removing your S&S account from your FR account if it's currently linked

HeadyT Mar 17, 2018 2:39 pm

So I just want to make sure I understand this correctly... If I earn points with the 2x S&S promo and the FR MC promo, and I fill up at Shell, using my Alt ID linked to my S&S card, $1.50 in S&S promo credits will be deducted first, then in addition the FR credits from the MC will cover the remaining price/gallon of gas?

FrankMS Mar 17, 2018 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by HeadyT (Post 29536781)
So I just want to make sure I understand this correctly... If I earn points with the 2x S&S promo and the FR MC promo, and I fill up at Shell, using my Alt ID linked to my S&S card, $1.50 in S&S promo credits will be deducted first, then in addition the FR credits from the MC will cover the remaining price/gallon of gas?

That's correct.

yoyo Mar 17, 2018 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by FrankMS (Post 29536842)
That's correct.

That is only partially correct as stated. If you go outside of Giant/SS area (boundary is fuzzy) , all points will be from FR (nationwide) and none from SS/Giant pool (Local).

iahphx Mar 18, 2018 6:22 am

Originally Posted by yoyo (Post 29537813)
That is only partially correct as stated. If you go outside of Giant/SS area (boundary is fuzzy) , all points will be from FR (nationwide) and none from SS/Giant pool (Local).

As I think I mentioned before, I was in Louisiana in December, bought gas at Shell, at it drained my Giant points. I'm not sure what would happen if you had enough FR points that you didn't "need" the Giant points.

yoyo Mar 18, 2018 9:06 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 29538471)
As I think I mentioned before, I was in Louisiana in December, bought gas at Shell, at it drained my Giant points. I'm not sure what would happen if you had enough FR points that you didn't "need" the Giant points.

Yes. not to dispute your observation. The system has since been perfected. It used to be as you described but this is now. Also you used to be able to unlink SS from your FR through online or app but this also seemed to stopped working.

iahphx Mar 18, 2018 10:50 am

Originally Posted by yoyo (Post 29538836)
Yes. not to dispute your observation. The system has since been perfected. It used to be as you described but this is now. Also you used to be able to unlink SS from your FR through online or app but this also seemed to stopped working.

Wow -- this partnership has been confusing from the start, but it gets worse when it's a moving target.

So if I'm in Louisiana (or anywhere else that's not in "Giant Territory" -- and what about "Stop&Shop Territory"?), FR now won't drain any Giant points? And my Giant points will ONLY work in Giant Territory (along with permissible "overage" from FR points)?

For some of us, that makes a material difference in how many Giant points we want/need.

balwx Mar 18, 2018 2:25 pm

Linked my Fuel Rewards card to my Stop & Shop account recently. I am correct when I visit Shell, I only present this card (not my purple stop & shop card) ? I can see all my purchases now on my Fuel Rewards account.

Also, I linked a Mastercard for the current promo, is there a discount limit per gallon ? Thanks much guys

tuphat Mar 18, 2018 2:35 pm

Sorta a datapoint -- Pretty amazing at how plentiful the $20-500 cards are right now, at least in my neck of the woods. Atone Giant I visited, not only was there a full supply on the main kiosk, they were also hanging on a stand-alone carousel, and at almost every checkout.

balwx Mar 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat (Post 29539862)
Sorta a datapoint -- Pretty amazing at how plentiful the $20-500 cards are right now, at least in my neck of the woods. Atone Giant I visited, not only was there a full supply on the main kiosk, they were also hanging on a stand-alone carousel, and at almost every checkout.

Same here racked loaded this morning

zeppoloveskafka Mar 18, 2018 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by balwx (Post 29539943)
Same here racked loaded this morning

Interesting, I was going to post exactly the opposite. I was the only person in both logs at the stores I went too, and I cleaned out both ones completely.

Does anybody know if 5 back visas count as part of the promotion? Those seemed plentiful.

devastitis Mar 18, 2018 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka (Post 29540652)
Interesting, I was going to post exactly the opposite. I was the only person in both logs at the stores I went too, and I cleaned out both ones completely.

Does anybody know if 5 back visas count as part of the promotion? Those seemed plentiful.

5 backs are a waste of money. $200 for $6.95 fees. You cleaned out all the variations of MB VGCs?