FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2018-24) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1887866-stop-shop-giant-supermarkets-gas-rewards-points-gift-card-purchases-2018-24-a.html)

thebat Mar 6, 2018 12:14 pm

Sears shutting us down

Originally Posted by sbalasu3 (Post 29462609)
3/2 thru 3/8 - 5X on Sears GC.

I got a scare at my local Sears today. I just bought a $300 Sears GC at S&S and went over to Sears to liquidate it. I got some Ebay, Amazon, Applebys and Shell gas GCs. The woman at the register called the manager and was told she could not do the transaction. I was surprised, I did something similer a couple of weeks ago. I asked if she would try to take the GC as payment, to see if the register would take it. She called the manager back and he reluctantly agreed to 'try.' Well, the sale went through but I was warned that they would not do this in the future.

So, if you're trying to get some cheap gas with the Sears GC, I'd advise caution. You may be stuck with shopping at Sears.

Car Jack Mar 9, 2018 8:35 am

Originally Posted by thebat (Post 29492832)
I got a scare at my local Sears today. I just bought a $300 Sears GC at S&S and went over to Sears to liquidate it. I got some Ebay, Amazon, Applebys and Shell gas GCs. The woman at the register called the manager and was told she could not do the transaction. I was surprised, I did something similer a couple of weeks ago. I asked if she would try to take the GC as payment, to see if the register would take it. She called the manager back and he reluctantly agreed to 'try.' Well, the sale went through but I was warned that they would not do this in the future.

So, if you're trying to get some cheap gas with the Sears GC, I'd advise caution. You may be stuck with shopping at Sears.

All part of the YMMV. When I'd use sears to buy game stop to buy eBay, I had 2 sears I could not do it with and 2 I could. The ones I couldn't were closer, so I'd test it now and then. I'd have people following me around the store after my denied attempt.

Bigzamboni Mar 9, 2018 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by thebat (Post 29492832)

Can use them at Kmart too, if you have one near you still :-P

Wish I had picked up some ebay gift cards a couple weeks ago to use with the 20% off coupon today..

slicktraveler Mar 11, 2018 8:03 am

VGC 2X gas rewards starting 3/16 finally a promotion again.

mensday Mar 11, 2018 8:15 am

Originally Posted by slicktraveler (Post 29510637)

just visa or mastercard too?

slicktraveler Mar 11, 2018 8:21 am

Just VISA this time. Now if I can only find a Walmart that will issue a MO for gift cards.

iahphx Mar 11, 2018 11:09 am

Originally Posted by slicktraveler (Post 29510637)

Thanks! I was going to do the regular Mastercard Fuel Rewards deal, but now I'll wait until Friday to "double dip."

BTW, the Mastercard "15 cents per $100 spending" deal is still scheduled to expire at the end of the month, right? If they don't extend it, and we do the spend this month, how long do we have to use the Fuel Rewards at Shell?

centrifuge41 Mar 11, 2018 2:12 pm

Assuming they don't extend the FRN 15c/$100 program, you have to earn by 3/31, and burn by 5/31.

iahphx Mar 11, 2018 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by centrifuge41 (Post 29511720)
Assuming they don't extend the FRN 15c/$100 program, you have to earn by 3/31, and burn by 5/31.

That seems like a pretty good amount of time to "burn."

So let's say I buy 3 $500 gift cards with my Mastercard later this week. I will earn 3000 points in the Giant fuel program (good for $3.00 in gas, limit $1.50 for each fill up, expiring in 30 days), and an additional $2.25 in gas through Fuel Rewards (expiring in May). I will have access to all these points when I swipe my Fuel Rewards card at Shell. Let's say gas is $2.25 a gallon then. Which points will be drained: my earlier expiring Giant points, my FR points, or a mixture of both?

devastitis Mar 11, 2018 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 29512544)
That seems like a pretty good amount of time to "burn."

So let's say I buy 3 $500 gift cards with my Mastercard later this week. I will earn 3000 points in the Giant fuel program (good for $3.00 in gas, limit $1.50 for each fill up, expiring in 30 days), and an additional $2.25 in gas through Fuel Rewards (expiring in May). I will have access to all these points when I swipe my Fuel Rewards card at Shell. Let's say gas is $2.25 a gallon then. Which points will be drained: my earlier expiring Giant points, my FR points, or a mixture of both?

IME both. $1.50 + the rest taken from FR points. So if you pay $2.25 a gallon, it’ll take the $1.50 from Giant and $.75 from FR, leaving you $1.50 in FR.

iahphx Mar 12, 2018 8:28 am

Originally Posted by devastitis (Post 29512841)

IME both. $1.50 + the rest taken from FR points. So if you pay $2.25 a gallon, it’ll take the $1.50 from Giant and $.75 from FR, leaving you $1.50 in FR.

Thanks. That would be the perfect outcome, as you'd drain the faster expiring Giant points first (up to that program's $1.50 per fill-up limit), but still get your gas for free.

BTW, how do we know that the FR points earned in the Mastercard program expire at the end of May? The official rules say "savings earned through the Offer expire on the last day of the month immediately following the month in which they are posted to your account." In plain English, wouldn't that be the end of April? I'm guessing that's not actually the way they've been posting?

soy Mar 12, 2018 9:37 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 29514452)

BTW, how do we know that the FR points earned in the Mastercard program expire at the end of May? The official rules say "savings earned through the Offer expire on the last day of the month immediately following the month in which they are posted to your account." In plain English, wouldn't that be the end of April? I'm guessing that's not actually the way they've been posting?

..... thats what it says when you log into FR and look at expiry on points earned in March

OZ Man Mar 15, 2018 7:41 pm

any new ways to liquidate the Visa cards these days? feel free to PM me.

tuphat Mar 16, 2018 7:42 am

Datapoint -- We're cookin' in N.Va. this morning. Giant points award on 4 types of Meta Visas purchased: cupcake,balloons, blue ribbon, black/Kevlar.

Also: FR Mastercard points already posted for these purchases, showing 4/15/2018 expiration date -- obviously NOT the end of the following month.

cwh82 Mar 16, 2018 9:55 am

Originally Posted by tuphat (Post 29531586)
Datapoint -- We're cookin' in N.Va. this morning. Giant points award on 4 types of Meta Visas purchased: cupcake,balloons, blue ribbon, black/Kevlar.

Also: FR Mastercard points already posted for these purchases, showing 4/15/2018 expiration date -- obviously NOT the end of the following month.

I'm in NJ and the fuel points earned from S&S always expire within 30 days, so that sounds right. Unless, you're referring to the Mastercard 15c/gallon for every $100 spent at S&S. That should expire end of May.