Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2018 onwards)

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2018 onwards)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 4, 19, 11:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: RedSun
Wiki Link
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

Updated Nov-2018: A lot of the personal Visa CCs are out at Plastiq. They will be treated as cash advance and won't receive any rewards. Only Capital One personal Visa CCs are not affected. Business Visa CCs are still good. The best CCs are Mastercard and Discover. AmEx CCs can still be used, but not on many of the payment types. Chase personal Visa cards are limited to the cash advance limit (typically 20% of CL). The details are listed as below:
https://help.plastiq.com/hc/en-us/ar...l-Card-Changes

Plastiq Fees:
The standard Plastiq fee is 2.5%. It makes most of the reward programs not profitable. Use Plastiq to meet welcome bonus spending requirement or to meet certain spend requirements to reach elite status or for large spend bonus. Also take advantage of Plastiq referrals and promotions.

Plastiq Referrals:
Standard Referral: When you refer your friend to Plastiq, after your friend charges $500 or more, your friend will get $500 FFDs (fee free dollar) and you'll receive $1,000 FFDs to spend.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase, Visa info outdated)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Amtrak World MC
BofA - Business Advantage Travel Rewards MC
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Ink Preferred Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Toyota Financial
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Aug 31, 18, 12:33 pm
  #316  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 13
Having massive issues with Plastiq of late. Twice now, payments made with Chase VISA cards (also one with Citi Mastercard), were accepted and within 24 hours I get the "We want to look into this payment further" emails, requesting copies of invoices, vendor website, etc. First one was for me paying my book keeper her fees, and the 2nd one was for paying my daughter's apartment rent at college. Meanwhile I'm getting emails from what appears to be a Plastiq "Private Client Representative" trying to court more business from our company to pay through Plastiq. If it is this hard for simple and relatively small (ie. < $2000) transactions, they are not viable. I can (barely) understand the AMEX issues, but VISA? And now Mastercard? Is this a business on life support?
k0d3g3ar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 18, 12:56 pm
  #317  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 213
Originally Posted by k0d3g3ar View Post
Having massive issues with Plastiq of late. Twice now, payments made with Chase VISA cards (also one with Citi Mastercard), were accepted and within 24 hours I get the "We want to look into this payment further" emails, requesting copies of invoices, vendor website, etc. First one was for me paying my book keeper her fees, and the 2nd one was for paying my daughter's apartment rent at college. Meanwhile I'm getting emails from what appears to be a Plastiq "Private Client Representative" trying to court more business from our company to pay through Plastiq. If it is this hard for simple and relatively small (ie. < $2000) transactions, they are not viable. I can (barely) understand the AMEX issues, but VISA? And now Mastercard? Is this a business on life support?
P2P payments are always scrutinized by Plastiq. Nothing new, unfortunately.
ksingh0311 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 18, 2:55 pm
  #318  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 233
Originally Posted by k0d3g3ar View Post
Having massive issues with Plastiq of late. Twice now, payments made with Chase VISA cards (also one with Citi Mastercard), were accepted and within 24 hours I get the "We want to look into this payment further" emails, requesting copies of invoices, vendor website, etc. First one was for me paying my book keeper her fees, and the 2nd one was for paying my daughter's apartment rent at college. Meanwhile I'm getting emails from what appears to be a Plastiq "Private Client Representative" trying to court more business from our company to pay through Plastiq. If it is this hard for simple and relatively small (ie. < $2000) transactions, they are not viable. I can (barely) understand the AMEX issues, but VISA? And now Mastercard? Is this a business on life support?
They are pretty strict in checking what's being paid ime.
EL3V3N is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 18, 9:38 pm
  #319  
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 2,626
I've had to send in documentation for 3 vendors. None were P2P. It's very easy to send a web site link over. They verified later the same day and that was that. Once Plastiq got the information they wanted, it's been smooth sailing ever since.
StartinSanDiego is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 18, 11:47 am
  #320  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by ksingh0311 View Post
P2P payments are always scrutinized by Plastiq. Nothing new, unfortunately.
I've been using Plastiq for about 18 months now, and it has never been this bad. I must have done about 50 transactions with them before, and this increased scrutiny started to appear around May this year, particularly with VISA transactions. So far the flagged transactions have been to a corporate rental company, and to my book keeper. I have never had any issues with P2P that go to a LLC entity though. Since anyone could just register a LLC and trade out of it, it doesn't seem to make much sense as to why, which leads me to believe that VISA are putting a lot of pressure on Plastiq, thinking that they are basically acting like a cash advance service. I can't see this getting any better unfortunately.
k0d3g3ar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 18, 11:48 am
  #321  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego View Post
I've had to send in documentation for 3 vendors. None were P2P. It's very easy to send a web site link over. They verified later the same day and that was that. Once Plastiq got the information they wanted, it's been smooth sailing ever since.
Are you finding that the verification per vendor sticks to future transactions?
k0d3g3ar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 18, 10:08 am
  #322  
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 2,626
Originally Posted by k0d3g3ar View Post
Are you finding that the verification per vendor sticks to future transactions?
Yes, you'll only have to verify a vendor once, then you're good to go. I got asked twice in a row about a vendor, but I think it was just an overlap. I had sent in the requested data and it hadn't been noted yet on my account.
StartinSanDiego is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 18, 10:48 pm
  #323  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by neony77 View Post
does citi double cash code as purchase on plastiq? Didn't see it listed in the wiki. Thanks!
Yep - I can also confirm that it codes as purchase in the Sevices category - Services - UTILITIES-ELECTRIC,GAS,SANITARY,WATER
fightingirishnd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 18, 1:20 pm
  #324  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 133
Is anybody making multiple $250 payments to their state taxes or the IRS? Is that frowned up. Is there anyway to know the where received?
doubleheader is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 18, 2:54 am
  #325  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 14
YMMV

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego View Post
Yes, you'll only have to verify a vendor once, then you're good to go. I got asked twice in a row about a vendor, but I think it was just an overlap. I had sent in the requested data and it hadn't been noted yet on my account.
YMMV because with me this is not true at all. Changing cards or just sending too much will trigger review again. Idiots processed 2 x 10K to for education via a Amex before, but today cancelled the same thing because ďAMEX canít pay for loansĒ

Last edited by CzarZ; Sep 6, 18 at 2:56 am Reason: Oops
CzarZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 18, 9:58 am
  #326  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SFO
Programs: BART Platinum, AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 855
Originally Posted by doubleheader View Post
Is anybody making multiple $250 payments to their state taxes or the IRS? Is that frowned up. Is there anyway to know the where received?
I am making a bunch of $250 1040-ES payments. I donít have any reason to believe it should be frowned upon by Plastiq or IRS. Plastiq tells you when the payee deposits the check, so youíll know they were received.
milypan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 18, 10:22 am
  #327  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Posts: 159
Originally Posted by milypan View Post


I am making a bunch of $250 1040-ES payments. I donít have any reason to believe it should be frowned upon by Plastiq or IRS. Plastiq tells you when the payee deposits the check, so youíll know they were received.
I'm doing the same, and scheduled a number of payments to process today. Only 15 of them went through, with the others not showing up on the Plastiq website as even being scheduled. Perhaps there is a limit of 15 transactions with a single biller per day? It did not show an error when scheduling all of them, and my CC doesn't appear to have declined them. It's as if they were never scheduled in the first place (and they definitely were.)
NeGourmand is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 18, 12:01 pm
  #328  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SFO
Programs: BART Platinum, AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 855
Originally Posted by NeGourmand View Post
I'm doing the same, and scheduled a number of payments to process today. Only 15 of them went through, with the others not showing up on the Plastiq website as even being scheduled. Perhaps there is a limit of 15 transactions with a single biller per day? It did not show an error when scheduling all of them, and my CC doesn't appear to have declined them. It's as if they were never scheduled in the first place (and they definitely were.)
Wow, I did not schedule nearly that many per day. I did something like $6k over a month, which works out to about one per day on average.
milypan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 18, 2:36 pm
  #329  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PHL
Programs: AA Plat, WoH Glob, HHonors (faux) Diamond
Posts: 2,919
Is there any sort of wait time between signing up for Masterpass and Plastiq registering an MC as an MC Masterpass card? Just did the sign up and am trying to help spouse pay from her Plastiq account. Mine, to same payor (college tuition) shows as Masterpass. Hers does not.

Update: Okay, so what I seem to have forgotten--I mean, it would be one thing not to have known this, but since I must have done this on my account, I can't claim that as an excuse--is that to load an MC as a Masterpass card you have to go to Manage Card, then Add New Card, but rather than actually adding a card, click on the little box that says "+ More Ways to Add". That will reveal Add a Card from Masterpass.

Last edited by Biggie Fries; Sep 11, 18 at 12:09 pm Reason: I'm a moron, or losing my memory, or both
Biggie Fries is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 18, 5:46 pm
  #330  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 595
Is anyone having issues adding card using mastrpass on plastiq site? I get the pop up to agree to terms and conditions and when I click yes it just stays there and doesn't do anything
Stivelio is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread