Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2018 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
How many of those accounts were opened in the last 6/12/24 months?
1 18mos ago
4 22mos ago
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
1 18mos ago
4 22mos ago
This is new accounts overall, not just with Ch@s3? If so, it doesn't doesn't bode well for the rest of us either.

Anyhow, worth trying to contact them to see if they are willing to reverse their decision. Have your SO be prepared to give some hopefully satisfying answers to their questions. I'd look on that DoC thread to see what others have done with success stories, also search r/churning for similar situations.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
@lumangoy is the usage pattern any different from prior Qs? I can't imagine any of us use our F cards for anything but the rotating cats. I have to say I'm quite happy to be hanging up my C Manhattan Bank shingle. With like 6 or 7 personal and 1 biz, I'm content and will continue to max the cat bonuses and the up/downgrade flexibility. But hell if I'm applying to more new cards at this point, especially since I'm so long past 5/24...
MaxVO likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: Lots
When Ch@s3’s system deems you as a possible risk, they will pull your credit report without you requesting it. Then when they see you are well past 5/24, they will shut you down. It’s the new BAU with Ch@s3. Get what you can with Ch@s3 and move onto other banks, and never look back.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by devastitis
When Ch@s3’s system deems you as a possible risk, they will pull your credit report without you requesting it. Then when they see you are well past 5/24, they will shut you down. It’s the new BAU with Ch@s3. Get what you can with Ch@s3 and move onto other banks, and never look back.
It's a soft pull right, so even if you lock your report they will have access to that info? Ch@s3 randomly pulling our report w/o formal consent (e.g. signing up for a new card or requesting a CL increase) is definitely alarming for many of us who MS and may have frequent spikes in utilization.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Ultraboost
It's a soft pull right, so even if you lock your report they will have access to that info? Ch@s3 randomly pulling our report w/o formal consent is definitely alarming for many of us who MS and may have frequent spikes in utilization.
They soft pull reports without formal consent with some regularity.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by bradpetrik
They soft pull reports without formal consent with some regularity.
Soft pull wont show up on the report?

I don't see it on my Experian report.

When can my SO apply for chase cards again? We were so close to being under 5/24.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:45 am

I'm not sure we are there yet, though it's possible they are phasing out these newer drastic measures to cut us MSers & churners off. I still don't think they will shut down people for merely being over 5/24, it's possible other risk factors need to be met and this seems more plausible to me than the theory that they will cut off anyone over 5/24 but do so gradually. Unless they've put together a new small team and they can only do manual reviews so fast...who the heck knows, but I guess we'll see a pattern eventually.

Having said that, it's worth complaining about them doing a hard pull without a consumer asking for credit. Whether or not it is in their legal fine print to do so, I'd still complain, to them first and if they don't reverse it to CFPB. All banks can--and many do--periodically pull soft reports to evaluate customers for risks and promotions. I don't believe they gain more info by doing a hard pull instead and if that is indeed the case, makes me wonder why the hard pull.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Soft pull wont show up on the report?

I don't see it on my Experian report.

When can my SO apply for chase cards again? We were so close to being under 5/24.
No, soft pulls don't show up.

I still think there's more to your story than what you've posted. Until we know those details it's hard to answer any questions regarding opening accounts.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by bradpetrik
No, soft pulls don't show up.

I still think there's more to your story than what you've posted. Until we know those details it's hard to answer any questions regarding opening accounts.
I wish there was.

The fraud alert might have triggered the soft pull.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:45 am

It's a soft pull right, so even if you lock your report they will have access to that info? Ch@s3 randomly pulling our report w/o formal consent (e.g. signing up for a new card or requesting a CL increase) is definitely alarming for many of us who MS and may have frequent spikes in utilization.
It was a hard pull for my brother. Right before he got shutdown by Ch@s3, he said that he received an alert that a bank had sent an inquiry and it turned out to be Ch@s3. He got shutdown because of requests for too much credit and too many accounts opened (in the letter that was sent to him), but it was also due to heavy MS.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:01 am

Another place to look for shutdown data points is the r/churning thread, I took a look at most of it and it seems there's always something that triggers the review before the shutdown, mostly applying for a new Ch@s3 card.

I took a look at the recent comments of the DoC thread and on 1/8/18 someone reported that the reason for the review was (they seem to think) adding Freedom to Samsung Pay and using it via Samsung Pay twice.

So @lumangoy, can you think of anything like that, or anything out of the ordinary at all that your SO did in the last month or two before the shutdown? I say a month or two because someone on r/churning reported that a Ch@s3 rep had shared with her (after reinstating the accounts) that her accounts were marked for shutdown 7 weeks prior to them actually being closed.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:01 am

It was a hard pull for my brother. Right before he got shutdown by Ch@s3, he said that he received an alert that a bank had sent an inquiry and it turned out to be Ch@s3. He got shutdown because of requests for too much credit and too many accounts opened (in the letter that was sent to him), but it was also due to heavy MS.
What card was your brother using to MS?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:09 am

What card was your brother using to MS?
MPE, CIC, CF, and CFU. MSed the CIC and CF bonus categories. Cycled credit a few times per month on both the MPE and CFU.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
I took a look at the recent comments of the DoC thread and on 1/8/18 someone reported that the reason for the review was (they seem to think) adding Freedom to Samsung Pay and using it via Samsung Pay twice.
That "someone" sounds like lumangoy, the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.