Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
So, despite the circular explicitly limiting offer to one per customer, some people feel they are not ethically compelled to abide by such terms. Every person for themselves, screw the people with little minds that comply with the rules. Got it.
The manager of the store thanked us for our purchase because it helps to boost their sales (maybe these GC sales help a lot to boost their daily sales). So you can get mad all you want (especially if your stores don't have such signs posted) with those who try to help stores and abide with their own posted limits. YOU DO YOU dude. Got it?
Old May 6, 2018, 5:12 pm

Easy does it, friends.
Old May 6, 2018, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
The manager of the store thanked us for our purchase because it helps to boost their sales (maybe these GC sales help a lot to boost their daily sales). So you can get mad all you want (especially if your stores don't have such signs posted) with those who try to help stores and abide with their own posted limits. YOU DO YOU dude. Got it?
I try to live by the Golden Rule, treating others the way that I would want to be treated. You apparently do not -- which is fine. Other people want to buy the card under this promotion, so I will respect the terms that Staples set for this promotion.
Protip: Store managers of retail chains like Staples don't set policy, strategy, etc. There's no way that any sign posted by a store manager overrides the 1X terms for this promo.
Also: Your manager should be careful how he explains to all the other customers who come in looking for the card. "Sorry, we sold out." "But the circular said 1 per customer, and it's only Monday." "But our sign says you can buy [x]" ?
Old May 6, 2018, 9:13 pm

So, despite the circular explicitly limiting offer to one per customer, some people feel they are not ethically compelled to abide by such terms. Every person for themselves, screw the people with little minds that comply with the rules. Got it.
it is not much of a rule if the store itself is making no effort to enforce it. It is not as if the customer is doing anything sneaky to avoid the rule. The store may be sold out by the time you get there, but that is true with any sale or promotion. There is no ethical lapse here.

The early bird gets the worm. No one is obligated to save the cards for you.
Old May 6, 2018, 9:19 pm

kind of ironic to talk about complying with the spirit of the rules in a subforum dedicated to MS. tbf some of you are gluttons and you're part of the reason why i don't share stuff on here anymore.
Old May 6, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jjangoo
kind of ironic to talk about complying with the spirit of the rules in a subforum dedicated to MS. tbf some of you are gluttons and you're part of the reason why i don't share stuff on here anymore.
My thoughts exactly. When it comes to MS, it is basically the wild west and you use as much of the gray area as you are comfortable with. Not that I would clear out a whole rack, but I would certainly take a few if the store allows it.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
The manager of the store thanked us for our purchase because it helps to boost their sales (maybe these GC sales help a lot to boost their daily sales).
Your manager was incorrect or misinformed. I know several managers, and at staples the gift cards do not boost their sales numbers
Old May 7, 2018, 11:23 pm
Suspended

I try to live by the Golden Rule, treating others the way that I would want to be treated. You apparently do not -- which is fine. Other people want to buy the card under this promotion, so I will respect the terms that Staples set for this promotion.
Protip: Store managers of retail chains like Staples don't set policy, strategy, etc. There's no way that any sign posted by a store manager overrides the 1X terms for this promo.
Also: Your manager should be careful how he explains to all the other customers who come in looking for the card. "Sorry, we sold out." "But the circular said 1 per customer, and it's only Monday." "But our sign says you can buy [x]" ?
I take it you dont use GCs to get MOs any where that you know you arent suppose to including WM, since its very well known WM doesnt want people using GCs to get MOs or load any card or for Bill Pay

2nd, I happen to stop into numerous Staples on Sun while in SoCal and purchased only 1 each time not knowing that any more wouldnt trigger the fee. Today (Mon) when stopping off to get 1 more, the guy in front of me purchased 3 and low and behold his total amount was $600, needless to say I grabbed 2 more and stopped off at another location on my way to the airport. Point is there were no signs but seems theres no problem buying as many as you want. B- if Staples wanted to limit it to just 1 per transaction they could have hard coded the registers, just like CV does regarding their max per day or Wally regarding Vanilla Ice or the USPS. C- if its not hard coded then by all means everyone should do as they please

3rd to make matters worse that guy who purchased 3 in front of me actually asked the person who sold it to him "How do I change the Pin or even know what the Pin is, I couldnt believe it and he was heading over to Wally to unload them and wasnt gonna open them up till he knew he could get an MO. Im sure that guy isnt the only new person heck he used his Citi AA card to buy the GCs, if anything it should be an Ink or BA. So MB doings isnt gonna kill anything, man just get a grip of yourself
Old May 8, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by craz
Im sure that guy isnt the only new person heck he used his Citi AA card to buy the GCs, if anything it should be an Ink or BA. So MB doings isnt gonna kill anything, man just get a grip of yourself
I'm curious why you wouldn't suggest using the Citi AA cards? It is because of the rate of rewards for the spend or something else? I'm using my Citi AA Exec card because I'm trying to hit the $40k spend to get 10k EQM.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by kajukenbo
I'm curious why you wouldn't suggest using the Citi AA cards? It is because of the rate of rewards for the spend or something else? I'm using my Citi AA Exec card because I'm trying to hit the $40k spend to get 10k EQM.
YMMV. It depends on your liquidation methods and how easy your Staples really is (can you do $2k per run?). There are still portals out there giving 1% on GCM, so those come in $500 increments and I don't have to enter a BM store. Fees come out to .0026x for me personally after the 1% from the portal. I'm happy to pay that and have 2/5 the amount of swipes for MO purposes for a 1x card like the AA Exec. Now the Ink is a different story, as that is worth it for me.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:43 am

So your issue is the rewards versus the effort. I am having issues liquidating so having $200s is a hassle versus $500 from Simon Malls. I tried my local Staples yesterday and they were a bit concerned (and unfortunately it seems the entire store staff was by the cashier when I went), but they let me buy 8 cards total in two transactions of $800.

My bigger personal issue is if it is worth the spend towards status, as this year I currently have 0 EQM/EQD.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:01 pm

So your issue is the rewards versus the effort. I am having issues liquidating so having $200s is a hassle versus $500 from Simon Malls. I tried my local Staples yesterday and they were a bit concerned (and unfortunately it seems the entire store staff was by the cashier when I went), but they let me buy 8 cards total in two transactions of $800.

My bigger personal issue is if it is worth the spend towards status, as this year I currently have 0 EQM/EQD.
I think you may have glossed over the part about GCM I mentioned in terms of using a 1x credit card (such as the AA Exec). Everyone faces a "rewards versus the effort" scenario in every MS endeavor, when the reward doesn't outpace the effort, we don't do it, it takes one situation where for me where I expound too much energy to learn alternatives. Hence in your position (1x card) it would be a no brainer for me to spend the small amount of money through GCM (once you factor in the 1% portal distribution) and cut out the B&M store (in this case, Staples). Example, I spend $5.42 per $2k on GCM to avoid a trip to Staples and also avoid the $200 increment VGC in favor of $500 VGC's at GCM. In my case, it isn't even close to worth $5.42 per $2k to go inside and have 2.5x more swipes to liquidate.
RedSun likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:21 pm
Suspended

From what I saw it was the reg Citi AA CC, I didnt discuss it with him, but from his comments it didnt seem he needed to make min spend for the bonus, nor that he needed to tap out his AA acct for a tkt. And from the questions he asked the employee it sure seemed this was his 1st time testing the waters and wanted to add some RDMs to his acct.

that said, I would want to use any CC that earns me back more then 1X, why earn 200 when you can earn 1000

In your case youre not after the RDMs themselves but the 10K EQM. Ive stopped my bi-weekly runs to SM awhile ago, reason the 3 CCs I want to use earns me 2x at supermkts so although I cant buy say $9k in 1 shot , in the end buying 1k a few times a week means less out of pocket and alot better return value on what Im earning

and yet 1x is worth it for some,, but asking how to set the Pin = not even knowing that the last 4 digits was the default = the guys getting in over his head and Im sure hes not the only one out there. I even told him to open them up before walking into the Wally next door, he couldnt figure out why he couldnt open them before he was going to swipe them. I gave him a very fast rundown only since w/o him I wouldnt have known we could get more then 1 GC per transaction at S w/o the fee, but at last I had a flight to catch, which I missed but got lucky the csr confirmed me on the non-stop even with no Saver available
Old May 9, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Anyone know if purchases of GC from Staples will count towards the bonus spend?
Old May 10, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Anyone know if purchases of GC from Staples will count towards the bonus spend?
Which Credit card are you using?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.