Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
seems like you're confusing this with OD/OM deals, this is LIMIT of 1 per household the week of the promo, you get your $20VGC in the mail, it's not instant rebate like OD/OM.
Thank you for the clarification, wasn't thinking about OD/OM. Just wasn't sure whether this is once per week or folks have found way to do it multiple times. Your post clarified everything that is there to know.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
seems like you're confusing this with OD/OM deals, this is LIMIT of 1 per household the week of the promo, you get your $20VGC in the mail, it's not instant rebate like OD/OM.

although there are those who claim they got away with several submissions, this is taking a risk because Staples has declined a lot of duplicate submissions from the same HH.
The risk being that they won't send you any GC if they think you're trying to bypass their 1 per HH imposed limit?

The fact that Staples can be profitable (if you have an Ink Cash or Plus card) even without this deal leads me to believe it's probably worth the risk.

I'm curious how others have circumvented this limit. I may submit them "from" friends and family, and just ask them to give me the gift card, or $10 cash and they can keep the $20 GC. That way we both win.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Mancolt
I'm curious how others have circumvented this limit. I may submit them "from" friends and family, and just ask them to give me the gift card, or $10 cash and they can keep the $20 GC. That way we both win.
You just need them to send you a pic of the front and then back three, this allows for out of town friends to be looped in.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:59 pm

why $300 vgc always oos these days? anyone know what time of day staples.com refresh inventory?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by st0ne
why $300 vgc always oos these days? anyone know what time of day staples.com refresh inventory?
I think others have stated that they use GCM as their suppliers. I don't know if they're restocking daily...my guess is they'll be out for a few days.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by st0ne
OOS due to the simon 5B trick
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:21 am

For those counting on Staples Easy Rebates, beware a new risk factor: Visa Rebate Cards received from Staples are being hacked and drained per growing reports on SD.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:02 pm

on staples.com, how do we pay for 1 trans with 2 or more cards? does the system allow to split pay?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danhouston
on staples.com, how do we pay for 1 trans with 2 or more cards? does the system allow to split pay?
It is 1 prepaid card 1 credit card per order.

On the payment screen there is an option to pay with a Prepaid card (only 1 can be used per order). It is actually quite visible. Click that you got a pop up window to enter your prepaid card info.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It is 1 prepaid card 1 credit card per order.

On the payment screen there is an option to pay with a Prepaid card (only 1 can be used per order). It is actually quite visible. Click that you got a pop up window to enter your prepaid card info.
Thx!
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:40 pm

Staples has just announced another 70 store closures, about 4.5 percent of its locations. Specific locations were not revealed.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:46 am

Starting this Sunday, get $20 Staples gift card rebate when you buy $300 in Mastercard gift card.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Flyby01
Starting this Sunday, get $20 Staples gift card rebate when you buy $300 in Mastercard gift card.
Thanks for letting us know! Might be making 2 trips this weekend, on Saturday and Sunday.

Are the fees the same for MGCs?

Which places accept Staples VGCs for MOs, and which ones accept MGCs for MOs? Do they both work at WM, or do the MGCs need to go to USPS?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Mancolt
Thanks for letting us know! Might be making 2 trips this weekend, on Saturday and Sunday.

Are the fees the same for MGCs?

Which places accept Staples VGCs for MOs, and which ones accept MGCs for MOs? Do they both work at WM, or do the MGCs need to go to USPS?
If the MCs issused by US Bank like the ones in OD then it is on and off in PO. I have many of these MCs and sometimes the machine in the PO accepts it sometimes it does not. I wait like a week and go to PO again and see that it works

All I am saying is it works in PO but on and off. Staples visa will never work in PO
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by misterno
If the MCs issused by US Bank like the ones in OD then it is on and off in PO. I have many of these MCs and sometimes the machine in the PO accepts it sometimes it does not. I wait like a week and go to PO again and see that it works

All I am saying is it works in PO but on and off. Staples visa will never work in PO
Thanks for the helpful DP!

I've heard of people swiping in different directions (bottom to top, instead of top to bottom) and that occasionally working. It's odd, but maybe worth a try next time you're there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.