Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Anlun
The promotion says one per customer. Is anyone having luck getting ringed for 10 and having the fee waived?
The cashier at my store was enforcing 1 card per person today.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
I only tried 1 vgc today, but I got nervous about the ancient, and I mean ancient stock of visas my local staples has in stock. At my local Vons the expirys have advanced to 27/28, but the one I bought from staples today was a 2021 expiry card. Drained it quickly and will be back for more than 1 tomorrow.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by doggiefizzle
I only tried 1 vgc today, but I got nervous about the ancient, and I mean ancient stock of visas my local staples has in stock. At my local Vons the expirys have advanced to 27/28, but the one I bought from staples today was a 2021 expiry card. Drained it quickly and will be back for more than 1 tomorrow.
last promo I purchased 5k worth yellow packaging vGC drained no issues
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:06 pm

No luck for me. first Staples was enforcing 1 card per person. Second, third, and fourth, were sold out of visas. Will try a different one close to work tomorrow and see.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Been busy with getting my Shell pts for discount gas, decided to jump in on this as well (why not different CCs being used) as others posted 1st 2 places bone dry and no secret compartment, must be held in the back , all GCs like yesteryear. 3rd place loaded. just went to a 4th place and bone dry even worse there were others who beat me to it and walked away empty. this time when they out of sight I opened the secret compartment and bingo a closed pkg of 10. while waiting on the long line to checkout they got onto the line and saw I had the goods and asked where the heck I found them, I said they were on the rack on the very bottom behind some Amexs, they were kicking themselves for not checking and were going to go look and I said dont bother found them on the very last hanger I checked, none left.

Hopefully theres another pkg in there for tomorrow
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:17 pm

How do you access the secret compartment? At all of my Staples the cards are on a swiveling rack with 4 sides, and the retail GCs are on a tiered slot rack. Where should I look?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Don't usually have easy access to Staples, but was driving through Denver from the mountains today and there was one less than 10 min out of the way. They were out of the fee free $200, and said someone had stopped in just before I did and bought 8. So apparently they don't enforce limits. I ended up buying 6 of the $100 visas in 2 transactions and had to pay the fees (but it was worth it for 50% on 1 and 25% on the other) for 2 propel worlds. Considered a $200 MCGC to avoid an extra fee for each transaction, but was not thrilled at the prospect of faxing a bunch of stuff again this soon.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Anlun
The promotion says one per customer. Is anyone having luck getting ringed for 10 and having the fee waived?
Yes
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: Chase UR, HHonors, SPG/Marriott, Total Rewards
Purchased multiple $200s today-- Few hours later liquidated them with no problem. Wish they offered this for the $300s. Free is free though.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:52 pm

Sigh tried my fifth store in NYC. No dice. One per customer. NYC makes it so difficult to MS...
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:46 pm

Everyone wishes the cashiers didn't enforce the 1 per customer limit when they're staring at a rack full of VGCs. And then some cashier doesn't enforce the limit, and some greedy MSer cleans out the store in one transaction, and then you go back to the store the next day to get your one, and you find the rack empty, and...

1. You learn the value of proper punctuation in preventing run-on sentences, and
2. You learn that purchase limits are actually a good thing because they allow more people than just one hog to access the offer.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411
Everyone wishes the cashiers didn't enforce the 1 per customer limit when they're staring at a rack full of VGCs. And then some cashier doesn't enforce the limit, and some greedy MSer cleans out the store in one transaction, and then you go back to the store the next day to get your one, and you find the rack empty, and...

1. You learn the value of proper punctuation in preventing run-on sentences, and
2. You learn that purchase limits are actually a good thing because they allow more people than just one hog to access the offer.
Greedy MSers would probably be OK with you hiding some or all of that rack full of GCs in strategic spots around the store.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by NeGourmand
Don't usually have easy access to Staples, but was driving through Denver from the mountains today and there was one less than 10 min out of the way. They were out of the fee free $200, and said someone had stopped in just before I did and bought 8. So apparently they don't enforce limits. I ended up buying 6 of the $100 visas in 2 transactions and had to pay the fees (but it was worth it for 50% on 1 and 25% on the other) for 2 propel worlds. Considered a $200 MCGC to avoid an extra fee for each transaction, but was not thrilled at the prospect of faxing a bunch of stuff again this soon.
You're the indirect DP I wanted to see. Was worried if GCs from Staples would be any issue for WF Propel World, but I'm guessing not? My CIC is already maxed out for the month, otherwise it'd be a no brainer.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by ne0ven0m
You're the indirect DP I wanted to see. Was worried if GCs from Staples would be any issue for WF Propel World, but I'm guessing not? My CIC is already maxed out for the month, otherwise it'd be a no brainer.
What do you mean maxed out for the month?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
What do you mean maxed out for the month?
I've already hit my CL (well, like $30 away from it). And I don't want to start cycling and risk losing my UR stash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.