Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:31 am
formerly ffactoryxx

In the Wiki it mentions the below. I italizied the section for US Bank Cards. Do you need to do the same with Metabank cards?

Also does GCM or Giftcard.com sell Matabanks?

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:37 am
formerly ffactoryxx

Can someone link me to a post on the steps to swipe multiple cards?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx
Can someone link me to a post on the steps to swipe multiple cards?
I don't think there are any "steps" on the customer's side other than to notify the cashier of what you intend to do. The "steps" are on the cashier's side.

I now rarely swipe multiple cards at WM because it has become a PITA at my local stores and the transaction will most likely be refused. In the good old days, when it was not an issue, I would simply wait for the cashier to enter the amount on each card I was swiping and then proceed when the cashier said the terminal was ready. Ah, the good old days - they were only a few months ago.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
As everything else, this might come to an end sooner rather than later. Interesting thing is that it has been going on for years now in many middle of nowhere stores. I, for example, stop buying MO at Wally South Florida, where I live. But, have been buying many (never more than one per visit) $1,000 with split in the Middle of Nowhere Mid West where I constantly travel for work. To day, I am friends with many CS at the two stores that are close to where I overnight and they still could care less what type of Debit Card you are using, as they find it way safer than having to go through 5 X $100 bills that they are always afraid could be fake.

So again, I am guessing that the places everyone is talking about, those that are now NOT allowing GCs to buy MO are always in big areas like Dallas, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc etc., where there are tons of people MSing. So I can only hope this route stays open for longer, as I still take advantage of being the only one or one of the really few ones buying MO with GC @ this stores. I really have not tried to buy one MO with a single swipe in South Florida for at least 1 and a half years.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:47 am

Dagger to the heart in 20151. This store is now limiting a 1 card, 1 MO policy,
Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:21 pm

I bought a MO yesterday. Card is charged MO prints out but then register freezes and doesn't print receipt. I left the store with my MO and without receipt. Today my GC is getting refunded. I called Monogram and MO is still good. Went back to WM and they know nothing and ask for receipt. I simply bought another MO with the same GC. Has anyone experienced this before?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
I bought a MO yesterday. Card is charged MO prints out but then register freezes and doesn't print receipt. I left the store with my MO and without receipt. Today my GC is getting refunded. I called Monogram and MO is still good. Went back to WM and they know nothing and ask for receipt. I simply bought another MO with the same GC. Has anyone experienced this before?
that register will be short and you will most likely be burning that store for MOs.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by fangtl
Dagger to the heart in 20151. This store is now limiting a 1 card, 1 MO policy,
Was it Suditha or someone else? She told me the same thing two days ago so I only did one swipe. Came back next shift and did 4. Went in today and she was at the register again! Ugh
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Recently I've seen more and more people buying MOs in front of me. Now it looks like all managers at WMs where told no gift cards. All my usual locations are almost dead. As soon as they hear split payment the problems start and manager is called and my personalized GC is closely inspected and declined by manager. Better chances with 499.30 MOs without split.
I've done a similar thing, I now only do 2 swipes, and make it a $995 MO (round numbers seem to remove suspicion). And with the remaining $4.70, I go to Dunkin Dounts and celebrate with an iced coffee (cold brew, turbo shot).
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by DeaconY
Was it Suditha or someone else? She told me the same thing two days ago so I only did one swipe. Came back next shift and did 4. Went in today and she was at the register again! Ugh
Dulles Expo WM? i was told 2x swipes/$1k max.. ughh..
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: BA, AA, DA, UA, CO
Is it safe to cash it though?

Also, found this with more info of a similar situation.

Last edited by pianistat; Jun 14, 2017 at 4:49 am
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by pianistat
Is it safe to cash it though?

Also, found this with more info of a similar situation.
So, you are not planning on giving the money back. You are still planning on burning the store. Amazing!!!
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:01 pm

Rough day at Walmart

First my MS friendly Walmart where CSR knows me well and has let me done multiple money orders before told me that they got this "new memo" where they don't allow gift cards.... blah blah

second Walmart checks my GC and let me swipe but the machine gave an error. Tried 3 different GC's, but same result

i am going to try again on another day
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos
So, you are not planning on giving the money back. You are still planning on burning the store. Amazing!!!
I think the question was for me.

I left my info with the manager who is going to investigate.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by sumittalwar
First my MS friendly Walmart where CSR knows me well and has let me done multiple money orders before told me that they got this "new memo" where they don't allow gift cards.... blah blah

second Walmart checks my GC and let me swipe but the machine gave an error. Tried 3 different GC's, but same result

i am going to try again on another day
Same thing happened to my wife and I today. She bought a Walmart Visa issued by green dot bank and tried to get a MO at WM and it was declined. I tried the same thing at another WM in town, same result. I've bought thousands of dollars of those cards without issue until today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.