Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:09 pm

Pulled up to the only CVS in my area to sell PPMC at 9:58. They close at 10 but the door was already locked. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:34 am

One of my previously reliable CVS stores just went cash-only for prepaids.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MaxVO
One of my previously reliable CVS stores just went cash-only for prepaids.
Must be a system update thing,

all CVS around me suddenly changed to cash only as well.

Getting the "alternate tender required". Sigh.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by meraki1990

all CVS around me suddenly changed to cash only as well.

Getting the "alternate tender required". Sigh.
Did you try again?

I got that yesterday, but after I tried with a different card on the same transaction it went through.

The same card that got the error worked too.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lumangoy
Did you try again?

I got that yesterday, but after I tried with a different card on the same transaction it went through.

The same card that got the error worked too.
Tried twice, I'll try again today to see if anything changed. Hmm.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by meraki1990
No problem with the system. The manager came out and stopped the sale. Curiously the prepaid rack was turning unusually bare at about the same time.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:52 am

Today at CVS the manager came out and hit me with a tire iron when I tried to buy a single VGC. I think the end is near for everyone.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:05 am

I can confirm there is currently something happening behind the scenes at CVS. I wasn't even buying with FB, just my 0BC and the friendly cashier told me they have a memo it'll be cash for now although it is only temporary. I asked the manager and she apologized to me for the inconvinience but she said CVS was hit hard by *"certain groups" that they have to cut their losses by accepting cash only for now. She said, hopefully when you come back, we'll accept CCs again.

*I didn't pry on those "certain groups" she was referring to but I have an idea. I'm not sure if there's a memo that some managers may NOT have read/paid attention to but all stores may know by today.

For those whose FBs are still accepted, good luck and hopefully, CVS won't stiff you of your CBs. After all, it'll "only be $4.95 per VGC" loss that you can charge to cost of doing business.

For the rest of us, game over.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:12 am

lol, didn't last 'til the 20th. Major blow for the drugstore category CCs....
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:02 am

Ugghh.... my goto cvs said that I was the only one who buys a lot of VGCs, so hopefully the manager didnt see the memo or doesnt care!

I'm out of town so I wont find out until tomorrow evening.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:11 am

Couple of data points from the Miles to Memories Facebook page of people from the Michigan/Wisconsin area buying One Vanilla's from CVS this morning. I'll test out Central California after work.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by refundme22
Couple of data points from the Miles to Memories Facebook page of people from the Michigan/Wisconsin area buying One Vanilla's from CVS this morning. I'll test out Central California after work.
It's still working in East Bay as of 30 minutes ago. (bought 2k + 2k(DW)
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:50 pm

For those saying your store(s) are cash only, can you please explain if they system stopped the sale, ie hard coded, or the cashier just told you.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:12 pm

when did this cash only policy begin? today, Friday, Jan 13?

bc i was at my local cvs yesterday (Thursday, Jan 12) 7 pm and still can buy vgc without having the manager coming out at me with a baseball bat
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:20 pm

No issues with me a few minutes ago. Down to 12 cards now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.