CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 23, 18, 9:37 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RedSun
Wiki Link
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 3, 17, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy View Post
I don't think the wiki is accurate. Most who post here know the limit is 2k per store rolling 24 hrs.

Your CVS must be imposing it's own 1k limit
where is the wiki saying 1k per store at a time?
no idea how many versions of wiki there are. but the only one i am seeing now is the one right above this thread window in desktop, "last edited by Gitanjali".

anyway, no store has ever denied me 2k at a time. i dont usually do that the first time i visit a store, but once they are familiar with me, and i attempted that, i was not rebuffed.
Old Jan 3, 17, 9:44 am

Can a CVS tell that a FB VGC was used to pay if the debit option was selected at time of payment?
Old Jan 3, 17, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by gnomey View Post
where is the wiki saying 1k per store at a time?
no idea how many versions of wiki there are. but the only one i am seeing now is the one right above this thread window in desktop, "last edited by Gitanjali".

anyway, no store has ever denied me 2k at a time. i dont usually do that the first time i visit a store, but once they are familiar with me, and i attempted that, i was not rebuffed.
Yeah, I don't see it on the wiki either.

I was mobile when I responded that why I said I think...
Old Jan 3, 17, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CWAL View Post
At the end of the day, the systemwide hard coded limit is $2k per rolling 24 hours, with any method of payment being acceptable.

People posting other rules are describing as you have YMMV limits that are based on human judgment. I have never experienced a register disallowing a full $2k in any area. This includes the area where you are intimating that there may be more restrictive regional rules. Any such regional rules are YMMV and enforced by employees, and any seeming rejection by the register I would personally assume to be a temporary glitch or an employee mistake/sabotage of transaction to enforce the regional limit, both of which are rare but not unheard of.
Wait till you travel down to South Florida, then you will see how the POS work down here. Luckily there are over 20 stores in one county alone so we can make do with the restrictions.
Old Jan 3, 17, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same store, twice in a row, 5B does not post automatically

Can a CVS tell that a FB VGC was used to pay if the debit option was selected at time of payment?
Dont think so. But I would provide a DP of a particular store which the rebates never post automatically. And ONLY happens with this store.

This store is conveniently located across street from Simon mall. It is one of the friendly stores in the area that we can buy $1K each ID on one visit once the previous store manager went somewhere else. So we started using it.

However purchases from this store do not generate the rebate automatically - ONLY happened at this store. A lot purchased before X'mas required manual posting. All the purchases yesterday made AFTER this store, saw their rebates. Yet the 4 cards disposed at this store still do not see the rebates. Granted, it is only 24 hours. Though I have the hunch that the rebate would not show up tomorrow and once again require calling.

No idea why a particular store would have same issue again and again. Just throw in a DP for those who have missing rebates in the normal time - may be you can identify whether the purchases were from the SAME stores. So next go round you could just call as soon as the requisite time has passed.
Old Jan 3, 17, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Wait till you travel down to South Florida, then you will see how the POS work down here. Luckily there are over 20 stores in one county alone so we can make do with the restrictions.
I don't know if I'll bother going to multiple stores.

I'm doing this now because the CVS & grocery store are next to each other and less than 1mi from me.

Simon mall is not too far from my daily drive.
Old Jan 3, 17, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know if I'll bother going to multiple stores.

I'm doing this now because the CVS & grocery store are next to each other and less than 1mi from me.

Simon mall is not too far from my daily drive.
If you can do it all in one store, you do not have the need to go to multiple stores.

Some of us dont have such luxury so we have to visit different stores.

Would be super easy if I can just drop by one store and get everything done there.

The reality is, one of the closest stores have gone Cash Only on ALL GCs with a big laminated notice taped on the counter, 2 or 3 weeks before X'mas. This store is one block from a grocery store.
2 other stores also not far, have completely stopped accepting GCs, and put a strict limit on CCs (had to finish the Freedom quota for Q4).
1 store next door to a grocery store imposed a 1 transaction per visit limit and does NOT allow split payment.

Just to give you some local DPs that one must work with the restrictions in one's locale.

On the plus side, there are more than 2 doz stores in the county so a little drive could take care of things, just more time consuming.

That said, this would be the last round for us to go thru the motion. Leaving for a month long trip next Wed and fully expect CVS route would not be there when we return in Feb. Meanwhile I am thankful for the sudden opp since Oct to help offset all the fees on the lovely SPG pts that translated to 17 nights Marriott Cat 7 and 9.
Old Jan 3, 17, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
I have successfully purchased 2k at once in Miami and Naples in the last few months.. Doesn't get much more south FL than that...
Old Jan 3, 17, 11:26 am

One of my local CVS', every time I go there I end up with the same thing. Cahier tings everything up, asks if I am using debit, I say yes, they say they have to watch me press the debit button when it come up, I swipe Credit, they say it didn't work, I say let me try and sign and let's see what happen. I sign and walk out wth my OV. Or they call a manager and the manager will override the register.
Old Jan 3, 17, 7:06 pm

I used a gift card to buy an ov card today at Alabama, everything went smoothly, cashier said has to swipe my driver license since it's over 300$, she said I can use credit card or debit card, I choose to punch in a pin# and walked out, am new to all this and want try the game while I am at cvs.
Old Jan 3, 17, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CWAL View Post
I have successfully purchased 2k at once in Miami and Naples in the last few months.. Doesn't get much more south FL than that...
We are north of Miami. No luck finding a CVS willing to do 2K within a reasonable driving. Not willing to go too out of my way to find one as long as I can get my daily limit done within a reasonable route. That said, I count myself lucky to be able to buy 1K at any single CVS. Just need to learn to work within the restriction of my area. There are stores that are no more than 3 miles apart yet have very different attitude - all comes down from the store manager as you may know CVS store managers have great discretion in setting their own store policy.
Old Jan 3, 17, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Update:

Since I brought up the Alternate Form of Payment Required error/issue, I'll update with additional DPs collected since.

The issue seems to have been based on a few bad registers. We had one store that was able to ring us up on one register right after failing at another. Consistent pattern over multiple days. Also failed, at a 2nd CVS, and succeeded minutes later at a 3rd location. So it has nothing to do with card errors, swiping method, running as debit or credit etc. and does not seem to be the "beginning of the end". Coast is clear for now.
Old Jan 4, 17, 6:21 am

Old Jan 4, 17, 7:50 am

Can someone tell me which gc in CVS can be used to get MO in walmart or other places?

When I looked at CVS gc rack, none of them said Onevanilla. And I was not able to tell if any of them are issued by Metabank or Suntrust which I know can not be turned to MO.

So how do you identify?
Old Jan 5, 17, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by misterno View Post
Can someone tell me which gc in CVS can be used to get MO in walmart or other places?

When I looked at CVS gc rack, none of them said Onevanilla. And I was not able to tell if any of them are issued by Metabank or Suntrust which I know can not be turned to MO.

So how do you identify?
It says which bank issued it on the back of the package in the fine print. Read it.

Search this Thread