Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by vodafone
Thanks, I will call WU when they are open on Monday.
1-800-999-9660 then 1-4-3-0 to get to a live person
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:58 am

Drop shutdown due to CVS transactions

anyone else experience a Drop app shutdown due to CVS transactions? last Oct/Nov, my regular GC CVS transactions showed up as pending in Drop. I presumed that they'd be disqualified due to Drop terms, but some got through, and I suddenly had 800k in Drop pts. I redeemed as much as possible, but there's a redemption cap of 250k pts/month. I had another 1.3mm pts pending, but made the mistake of asking when they might post. That started to get eyes on my account & last week they "flagged" my account. I tried to appeal, noting that I wasn't the one that awarded the points, but it's been radio silent from Drop. anyone else have experience with this? I actually liked Drop, for their innovative crypto options, the games, & ease of use. Not the end of the world if I don't get reinstated, will continue with Ibotta, Dosh, but sort of a bummer that I couldn't keep Drop going.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by jtcho78
anyone else experience a Drop app shutdown due to CVS transactions? last Oct/Nov, my regular GC CVS transactions showed up as pending in Drop. I presumed that they'd be disqualified due to Drop terms, but some got through, and I suddenly had 800k in Drop pts. I redeemed as much as possible, but there's a redemption cap of 250k pts/month. I had another 1.3mm pts pending, but made the mistake of asking when they might post. That started to get eyes on my account & last week they "flagged" my account. I tried to appeal, noting that I wasn't the one that awarded the points, but it's been radio silent from Drop. anyone else have experience with this? I actually liked Drop, for their innovative crypto options, the games, & ease of use. Not the end of the world if I don't get reinstated, will continue with Ibotta, Dosh, but sort of a bummer that I couldn't keep Drop going.
I think that that old saw "Pigs get fat but hogs get slaughtered" may apply here.
You stated that you knew your GC purchases at CVS did not qualify for Drop points yet you received 800K points presumably for just those purchases.
You tried to redeem your points and wanted more than the allowed 250K/month.

Doing some quick math, if you received just 2 months worth or redemption (500K points) and added that to your 800K points incorrectly gained from the CVS GC transaction, you actually received exactly what you legitimately earned from the program (1.3MM points).

I know nothing about Drop, but I think that you might have a case for reinstatement since they clawed back the incorrectly applied point earnings. You can claim you had no idea that GCs were not part of the program and since they didn't lose anything, everything is tidy.

I would write and ask for reinstatement.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
I think that that old saw "Pigs get fat but hogs get slaughtered" may apply here.
You stated that you knew your GC purchases at CVS did not qualify for Drop points yet you received 800K points presumably for just those purchases.
You tried to redeem your points and wanted more than the allowed 250K/month.

Doing some quick math, if you received just 2 months worth or redemption (500K points) and added that to your 800K points incorrectly gained from the CVS GC transaction, you actually received exactly what you legitimately earned from the program (1.3MM points).

I know nothing about Drop, but I think that you might have a case for reinstatement since they clawed back the incorrectly applied point earnings. You can claim you had no idea that GCs were not part of the program and since they didn't lose anything, everything is tidy.

I would write and ask for reinstatement.
lol, they could be like Dosh, asking OP to make 40 or 50 non-gc purchases to get the acct reinstated & get pts redeemed
Old Jan 18, 2022, 6:35 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by danhouston
lol, they could be like Dosh, asking OP to make 40 or 50 non-gc purchases to get the acct reinstated & get pts redeemed
Or maybe they may just reinstate him/her if asked. What is the cost to do so??

:Like the lotto, you never win if you don't play the game.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:56 am

I've asked Drop nicely to reinstate a few times, with no success.
me: So that it? It's over? No other options? Delete the app?
Olive at Drop support: Hi Jason, Unfortunately that is it, we cannot unflag your account. Thank you for your understanding.
Feels so final. I feel sad.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by jtcho78
I've asked Drop nicely to reinstate a few times, with no success.
me: So that it? It's over? No other options? Delete the app?
Olive at Drop support: Hi Jason, Unfortunately that is it, we cannot unflag your account. Thank you for your understanding.
Feels so final. I feel sad.
wow, they're worse than Dosh; so, they kept 1.3 mm pts which is about $1.3k? just curious how may bonus pts earned per CVS purch then?

Last edited by danhouston; Jan 19, 2022 at 11:59 am
Old Jan 20, 2022, 8:10 am

i don't recall. i want to say it got as high as 4x, before dropping to 2x, 1x. maybe higher than 4x.
Old May 19, 2022, 4:38 pm

After millions of dollars in gift card purchases over the years, I finally became the victim of fraud.

I purchased some Vanilla's at CVS and when I opened them, noticed that one had a slip of paper over the activation barcode that contained the exact same numbers of the barcode beneath it, but the actual bars were aligned differently. Sure enough, the card had no value. I went back into the store and was told they could do nothing. I called Vanilla customer service and opened a case. I had to email them copies of everything.

It will be interesting to see how this is handled.
Old May 19, 2022, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103
After millions of dollars in gift card purchases over the years, I finally became the victim of fraud.

I purchased some Vanilla's at CVS and when I opened them, noticed that one had a slip of paper over the activation barcode that contained the exact same numbers of the barcode beneath it, but the actual bars were aligned differently. Sure enough, the card had no value. I went back into the store and was told they could do nothing. I called Vanilla customer service and opened a case. I had to email them copies of everything.

It will be interesting to see how this is handled.
I've had this happen a few times before. They'll send you a new card in about 2 weeks.
Old May 19, 2022, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by cuthroat
I've had this happen a few times before. They'll send you a new card in about 2 weeks.
That is good to know, as I was hoping that I wouldn't have to eat $500. Calling the credit card company to refute the charge is definitely not an option, as I certainly don't need any eyes on my account.

My guess is that the barcode on the slip of paper is aligned to a stolen card that the scammers have.
Old May 19, 2022, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
That is good to know, as I was hoping that I wouldn't have to eat $500.
There's also this thread. In my case it was a card swap inside the packaging. Vanilla was able to load the balance on the physical card I had, which I drained promptly. You should be made whole with this one, and you are correct to be working with the card issuer, not with CVS or your credit card issuer.
Old May 20, 2022, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
There's also this thread. In my case it was a card swap inside the packaging. Vanilla was able to load the balance on the physical card I had, which I drained promptly. You should be made whole with this one, and you are correct to be working with the card issuer, not with CVS or your credit card issuer.
Thank you for that information. I emailed all of the documentation yesterday and was told to give them about three business days until I hear back. I'll give them a call Tuesday morning just to follow-up if I don't hear from them on Monday.

I did drain all of the other cards last evening.
Majuki likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:24 am

Thank you for that information. I emailed all of the documentation yesterday and was told to give them about three business days until I hear back. I'll give them a call Tuesday morning just to follow-up if I don't hear from them on Monday.

I did drain all of the other cards last evening.
Just FYI, I had this exact issue a few months back with Vanilla and after they went through my receipts and documentation that I sent them they added $500 to the card I bought rather than the barcode used at activation. So good luck, it will take a few days but I am confident that you won't have to eat the cost and they will resolve the issue. Best of luck and keep us posted!
Majuki likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by josephbanjo7
...they added $500 to the card I bought rather than the barcode used at activation.
That's what happened in my case too.
josephbanjo7 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.