FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   All things Paypal (2017-onwards) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1818829-all-things-paypal-2017-onwards.html)

hurnik Mar 28, 2017 9:57 am

Stupid questions (I didn't see this in the wiki):

a) Does Paypal have a "problem" (like they'll ban you) if you pay your rent with a credit card via PayPal? I know there's Radpad and all that, but let's say for whatever reason one party chooses to use PayPal.

b) Anyone know if Amex has a "problem" with this in terms of counting towards the spend requirement to earn the bonus points?

I would think both "a" and "b" would be acceptable, but you never know.

LDR Mar 31, 2017 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by hurnik (Post 28097373)
Stupid questions (I didn't see this in the wiki):

a) Does Paypal have a "problem" (like they'll ban you) if you pay your rent with a credit card via PayPal? I know there's Radpad and all that, but let's say for whatever reason one party chooses to use PayPal.

b) Anyone know if Amex has a "problem" with this in terms of counting towards the spend requirement to earn the bonus points?

I would think both "a" and "b" would be acceptable, but you never know.

I have the same question (though not Amex specific).

I'm also trying to decide if paying for "goods and services" and grossing up the amount to cover the cc fees is better than doing a personal transaction and selecting to cover the fees.

oneandonlydrake Apr 4, 2017 9:52 am

Okay so has anyone tried:

1. using the credit card to pay a friend on paypal

2. have the friend transfer money to their bank

3. give you cash

4. pay off card?

Obviously would only be worth it for sign up bonuses.

ChrisFlyer66 Apr 4, 2017 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by oneandonlydrake (Post 28128106)
Okay so has anyone tried:

1. using the credit card to pay a friend on paypal

2. have the friend transfer money to their bank

3. give you cash

4. pay off card?

Obviously would only be worth it for sign up bonuses.

Yes I'm sure people have done that many times. In moderation I think it is a safe thing to do.

Edit: I probably should have said that no MS with paypal is completely safe.

oneandonlydrake Apr 5, 2017 8:54 am

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66 (Post 28130578)
Yes I'm sure people have done that many times. In moderation I think it is a safe thing to do.

Have you heard or seen anyone talking about limits on this? I feel like the only limit would be adding new cards constantly but I guess if you only added them every couple months I don't see it being an issue.

ChrisFlyer66 Apr 10, 2017 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by oneandonlydrake (Post 28132655)
Have you heard or seen anyone talking about limits on this? I feel like the only limit would be adding new cards constantly but I guess if you only added them every couple months I don't see it being an issue.

No, I don't know of any limit. There probably is an unpublished limit and you will get shut down (or warned) if you exceed it.

lesamuel Apr 23, 2017 4:14 pm

Been a while since I dipped my feet in the PP waters, but now that the PO is failing in NorCal...

Anyone have any DPs about linking a GC (like a high value AGC) to an account and setting it as the funding method for a PPBDC? (And then buying an MO...)

Not sure if this is possible, but worth splashing a stone in the FT waters.

Ruhr Apr 24, 2017 9:41 am

Data point: PP MyCash is still alive and well in a drugstore within the city limits of Philadelphia. Loaded US$500 with my credit card onto an already scratched-off PPMC card. The balance went immediately to my PayPal account. I'll wait a few days and then start doing mild spend on it to make myself look "legitimate," including some actual PayPal purchases. But my method is to slowly drain the account from PPBDMC by getting cash back at the drugstores when I make a small purchase. It's my substitute for ATMs :-o

launcher May 9, 2017 8:21 pm

Looks like CVS as of very recent has stopped accepting credit cards for paypal cash cards (and subsequent reloads). I've yet to encounter a Rite Aid that works either. But I'll keep looking for that anonymous drugstore that still takes credit.

jmanEB04 May 9, 2017 9:37 pm

Are there any drug stores left? Walgreens went to cash only. Anyone know of any grocery stores that will load/reload with a credit? I'm sensing the end of OBC without CVS.

NYC2MNL May 10, 2017 9:03 am

Originally Posted by launcher (Post 28290941)
Looks like CVS as of very recent has stopped accepting credit cards for paypal cash cards (and subsequent reloads). I've yet to encounter a Rite Aid that works either. But I'll keep looking for that anonymous drugstore that still takes credit.

I don't think it's just accepting credit card payment. PPMC is being completely removed from CVS altogether. See here

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...al-cash-cards/

Just a matter of time before WG and RA also get pulled. :(

NikSem Aug 9, 2017 11:05 pm

Is it possible to pay Paypal credit (not debit) card directly from PP account? If yes, is the shutdown likely if I finance the PP account via PPMC?

savingwizard Aug 10, 2017 12:54 am

Yes, you can pay PayPal credit card with PayPal balance.
How do u get PPMC card? PayPal pulled them recently.

Originally Posted by NikSem (Post 28670679)
Is it possible to pay Paypal credit (not debit) card directly from PP account? If yes, is the shutdown likely if I finance the PP account via PPMC?

Mamibear Aug 10, 2017 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by NikSem (Post 28670679)

are you willing to pay in cash + $3.95 fee to load your paypal using a barcode that replaced the scratch offs PPMCs? It's better to pay your CC via ACH transfer from your bank acct by going to the Synchrony website.

IOW, the PPMC route to transfer funds to PPal as viable MS has been dead for quite a while since PPal switched to scanning of barcode at drugstores with cash as ONLY mode of payment accepted.

weezl Aug 11, 2017 11:01 am

Time stamp for PPMC transactions

I called Paypal to verify a transaction time and they told me 6PM, and that it was ET. But I know the transaction occurred an hour after, i.e. 4 PM PT, so their transaction time must have been CT. Do we know if they indeed post their transactions as ET? I can't actually see the time when I log in, hence my call to PP.