FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   All things Paypal (2017-onwards) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1818829-all-things-paypal-2017-onwards.html)

nall Apr 28, 2023 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 35208445)
Too late for your situation but for anyone else's future search, BOA didn't used to code as cash advance, but has started doing so last week (AS Visa).

Oh drat. I thought Visas were safe.

Amex and pretty much all Mastercards are dead now.

Jalad Jul 3, 2023 6:09 pm

Is PayPal acceptable for Amex SUB spend?

gardengirl Aug 31, 2023 8:26 am

New to PayPal and credit card or gift card load. Read through the past 2 years on this forum. Would appreciate some guidance. I'm not looking for fast collection of points, large transactions or MO.

Have new CIP. Was going to pay township taxes to satisfy SUB, 3% fee. Am I understanding that I could link PayPal with card and pay Township without incurring the fee? ($7300)

Is this activity that would shut down a PayPal account?

Then there's the subject of gift cards. Can I load gift cards to PayPal to pay rental of Airbnb or buy water filter?

radonc1 Sep 1, 2023 1:48 am

Originally Posted by gardengirl (Post 35543744)
New to PayPal and credit card or gift card load. Read through the past 2 years on this forum. Would appreciate some guidance. I'm not looking for fast collection of points, large transactions or MO.

Have new CIP. Was going to pay township taxes to satisfy SUB, 3% fee. Am I understanding that I could link PayPal with card and pay Township without incurring the fee? ($7300)

Is this activity that would shut down a PayPal account?

Then there's the subject of gift cards. Can I load gift cards to PayPal to pay rental of Airbnb or buy water filter?

If you read the past 2 years of this thread, then you know the perils of gaming with PP

However, if your taxing authority allows PP, then you should have no issues using PP.

I would love to pay all of my taxes without fees but have not been able to replicate that post. Maybe you can and let us know😉
Loading GC’s and paying bills was the activity that got PPs attention in the first place so it depends on how much you value your PP account.

gardengirl Sep 2, 2023 6:41 am

Originally Posted by radonc1 (Post 35545604)
If you read the past 2 years of this thread, then you know the perils of gaming with PP

However, if your taxing authority allows PP, then you should have no issues using PP.

I would love to pay all of my taxes without fees but have not been able to replicate that post. Maybe you can and let us know😉
Loading GC’s and paying bills was the activity that got PPs attention in the first place so it depends on how much you value your PP account.

Thank you radonc. I was hoping you'd answer. So I'll nix the tax payment but I have something else going on this morning. We're getting our car detailed. The guy takes PayPal, Venmo, cash app or Zelle. I have a couple Visa gift cards I'd like to use. Is this small amount of $125 risky? In the meantime I'm going back through the thread as I was of the understanding it's the gift card to PayPal to friend/partner to bank and then back to self that's the issue.

radonc1 Sep 3, 2023 2:21 am

Originally Posted by gardengirl (Post 35548225)
Thank you radonc. I was hoping you'd answer. So I'll nix the tax payment but I have something else going on this morning. We're getting our car detailed. The guy takes PayPal, Venmo, cash app or Zelle. I have a couple Visa gift cards I'd like to use. Is this small amount of $125 risky? In the meantime I'm going back through the thread as I was of the understanding it's the gift card to PayPal to friend/partner to bank and then back to self that's the issue.

if your detailer is a legit retail business that takes Visa, then your VGCs should work directly just as if you were in a Costco.

If he is freelancer perhaps he would just take the cards directly, i.e. just hand him the cards?

808traveler Oct 22, 2023 6:19 pm

PP biz debit

Anybody used the biz debit for banco payments recently? Namely c1t1? Just wondering if that's still earning 1% back or leading to shutdown.

radonc1 Oct 23, 2023 4:19 am

Originally Posted by 808traveler (Post 35685774)
Anybody used the biz debit for banco payments recently? Namely c1t1? Just wondering if that's still earning 1% back or leading to shutdown.

Your question is very vague. Perhaps you could supply more detail on the following:
What is "biz debit" mean?
What is a "banco payment"?
Supplying the name of the GC you are using would be very helpful as well as the credit you are wishing to pay through PP.

Finally, I would suggest that, after perusing this thread and either finding an old answer or not finding one at all, performing the questioned action and supplying us with up to date DPs. Most of us tend to avoid PP either because we don't have a PP account any longer or simply don't want to risk our account doing MSing with it ;)

ForeverSteel Nov 12, 2023 7:41 am

Those of you who used paypal to pay your county taxes.
greatlim ZinCO euromannn
Are you still able to do so for this year?

My county tax assessor can be found under paypal billpay. I am able to enter my county tax account #.

However, when i entered the amount to paid, it says

"Things don’t appear to be working at the moment"

Nothing was declined, it didn't even let me enter a credit card info or choose bank account.

radonc1 Nov 12, 2023 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by ForeverSteel (Post 35738631)
Those of you who used paypal to pay your county taxes.
greatlim ZinCO euromannn
Are you still able to do so for this year?

My county tax assessor can be found under paypal billpay. I am able to enter my county tax account #.

However, when i entered the amount to paid, it says

"Things don’t appear to be working at the moment"

Nothing was declined, it didn't even let me enter a credit card info or choose bank account.

Wouldn't it be much easier to simply call your county tax assessor and ask if your tax bill can be paid through PP?

If the answer is yes, then I would direct to them your above question as to why you were unable to pay via PP. ;)

Dr Jabadski Dec 25, 2023 12:20 pm

No Fee Property Tax Payment via PP and CC ?

I’ve had a PayPal account for years, infrequent use mainly to send small amounts of cash to friends, occasionally to pay a business, mostly from my checking account, occasionally from a credit card. Just now learned that some people have been able to pay property taxes with a CC via PP without fee.

I logged into my PP account, tried to do a dummy property tax payment, my municipality (City of Abc Defghijk) is not on the long list of utility bill payment recipients.

Is there a way to have my city listed? If so, do I do it or does the city have to do it? Thank you.

radonc1 Dec 25, 2023 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski (Post 35849086)
I’ve had a PayPal account for years, infrequent use mainly to send small amounts of cash to friends, occasionally to pay a business, mostly from my checking account, occasionally from a credit card. Just now learned that some people have been able to pay property taxes with a CC via PP without fee.

I logged into my PP account, tried to do a dummy property tax payment, my municipality (City of Abc Defghijk) is not on the long list of utility bill payment recipients.

Is there a way to have my city listed? If so, do I do it or does the city have to do it? Thank you.

I would think that this means your county taxing authority does not take PP for payment. You could double check this by calling the tax assessors office tomorrow and asking them.
Again, if they claim that PP is an accepted method for payment, I would then direct them to the lack of their name in that long list and ask them to correct it.
Knowing how fast municipal government works, I would make plans on other methods of payment :o :D

TyrannicalDuncery Jan 22, 2024 12:56 pm

Some quick research on GiftCardGranny, and a question

deleted

weezl Mar 5, 2024 5:08 pm

All of my payees have disappeared; SoCal Gas, DMV, etc.
Last I checked was about 2 mos ago, so not sure when this happened
I suppose these payees have de-listed themselves, too bad

radonc1 Mar 6, 2024 10:37 am

Originally Posted by weezl (Post 36056013)
All of my payees have disappeared; SoCal Gas, DMV, etc.
Last I checked was about 2 mos ago, so not sure when this happened
I suppose these payees have de-listed themselves, too bad

Same reason any vender delists from PP.
Too expensive for the vendor and no benefit obtained from the cost.
Hard to heat your home without gas, drive your car legally without a registration, keep your home without tax liens.........you get my message.
One may notice that when paying state or federal tax bills with a CC or PP, the company letting us do it charges a 'convenience fee' for the privilege ranging from 1.8-2.5%. :(