FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   All things Paypal (2017-onwards) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1818829-all-things-paypal-2017-onwards.html)

dethkultur Feb 15, 2017 10:40 am

Originally Posted by louloufafa (Post 27912708)
Does anyone know whether PPMC is considered cash equivalents for Amex? I heard they may claw back points you earned via MS...

Heard where? If you can't find a source, don't believe it. And if you think the 100s of positive reports are all people trolling, try it yourself. It will cost you $23.95, $20 of that which ends up in your PP account, to find out if you get points or not.

hamokmonky Feb 15, 2017 11:30 am

Originally Posted by dethkultur (Post 27912997)
Heard where? If you can't find a source, don't believe it. And if you think the 100s of positive reports are all people trolling, try it yourself. It will cost you $23.95, $20 of that which ends up in your PP account, to find out if you get points or not.

If you've been following this lately at all you would know that AMEX has been clawing back sign up bonuses for MS.

sybloc Feb 15, 2017 4:15 pm

-----

louloufafa Feb 15, 2017 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by dethkultur (Post 27912997)

Heard from here
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...5k_in_bonuses/

dethkultur Feb 16, 2017 7:43 am

Originally Posted by louloufafa (Post 27914816)

That link says.... "Called MR Customer Care and they claimed I made returns that made me ineligible for the bonus for all 4 cards."

H thinks it might be MS, but admits he closed most of the cards before now.

He also mentions he used giftcards.com with Amex, something the GC thread says attracts attention. Retail prepaids, including PPMC, aren't mentioned.

And yes, it seems a lot of people were bit on the leaked Plat bonus a few months ago. That seems more and more like an isolated incident now.

halluc1nati0n Feb 18, 2017 9:15 pm

Changing things a bit.. Anybody know if -4 gas station allows PPMC purchase via CC? Thinking about getting the 5% quarterly for CF/Discover (on the off-chance that they may be only anal about buying VGCs with CC)?

Phantom707 Feb 19, 2017 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by halluc1nati0n (Post 27928462)
Changing things a bit.. Anybody know if -4 gas station allows PPMC purchase via CC? Thinking about getting the 5% quarterly for CF/Discover (on the off-chance that they may be only anal about buying VGCs with CC)?

No, it doesn't work.

corpgator Feb 20, 2017 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by louloufafa (Post 27912708)
Does anyone know whether PPMC is considered cash equivalents for Amex? I heard they may claw back points you earned via MS...

You're fine if you're buying with a co-branded card (Hilton, SPG, etc), but any card that earns MR points is asking for trouble.

There was a report on reddit where a earned his 100k points on the plat legitimately, but Amex froze the account, and he ended up with -35k points because they went back and reviewed his PRG, Green, and other MR cards where he did MS and they took those back.

hiya83 Feb 26, 2017 2:06 am

Probably a basic question but does the PPBDC used as credit trigger and earn rewards on the backup funding PPEMC? Seems obvious but could not find any *recent* definitive results about this :confused:

mrp20 Feb 26, 2017 3:13 am

Has anyone had the experience of loading a purchased PPMC for an A-->B transaction that's been a regular pattern for years, getting failed transaction error messages, calling customer service as requested by the error page, and then being told that PPMC loads on their account were blocked from making person to person transfers, and could only be used for online purchases? This happened to a friend of mine in January whose account was later limited, and since I haven't seen any similar reports here lately, I'm trying to assess whether this pattern might be widespread among PPMC users.

Mamibear Feb 26, 2017 9:44 am

Originally Posted by mrp20 (Post 27959575)
Has anyone had the experience of loading a purchased PPMC for an A-->B transaction that's been a regular pattern for years, getting failed transaction error messages, calling customer service as requested by the error page, and then being told that PPMC loads on their account were blocked from making person to person transfers, and could only be used for online purchases? This happened to a friend of mine in January whose account was later limited, and since I haven't seen any similar reports here lately, I'm trying to assess whether this pattern might be widespread among PPMC users.

this pattern has long been discussed as one of those shutdown by PP for "misuse/abuse" of MC loads. many have not talked about it since then because their accounts have already been limited. Some were lucky to get warnings prior to shutdown, others were shutdown with no warnings, soon as the pattern was detected. your friend is one of those lucky ones who was able to avoid detection for years until PP caught up with it.

mrp20 Feb 28, 2017 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 27960608)
this pattern has long been discussed as one of those shutdown by PP for "misuse/abuse" of MC loads. many have not talked about it since then because their accounts have already been limited. Some were lucky to get warnings prior to shutdown, others were shutdown with no warnings, soon as the pattern was detected. your friend is one of those lucky ones who was able to avoid detection for years until PP caught up with it.

The root of my question wasn’t that this could lead to shutdown (which I agree is well-covered) and more that the person was told that My Cash loads couldn’t be used for certain *types* of transactions while *not* having their accounts limited.

That type of restriction is not something my friend found in the terms and conditions for My Cash or for PayPal as a whole, or at least told me as much. It’s almost analogous to buying a gift card for Amazon.com and then being told after loading it that it can only be used to buy clothing, but not kitchen utensils. It sounds like deceptive advertising, and not just in the sense that the My Cash product actually can’t be used like cash once it’s been loaded. This person didn't have their account limited, but still wasn't able to send funds loaded via My Cash to anyone.

Apparently PayPal has the ability to restrict funding in someone’s account from making certain types of transactions *without* having their account limited, and not just blocked from making transactions generally, which isn’t something I’ve seen noted here.

savedbyhim01 Mar 6, 2017 2:57 am

Has anyone had problems with sending money by credit card (and paying the 3% fee) back and forth between two accounts?

I have an important account I use for other business that it is better not to risk getting shut down. But if it is not risky I would like to do the below with a family member:

Example:

Account A sends money to account B by credit card to meet minimum spending and pays the fee.

Account B withdraws.

Some time later Account B sends money to account A to meet minimum spending and pays the 3% fee.

Mamibear Mar 6, 2017 6:18 am

Originally Posted by savedbyhim01 (Post 27997019)
Has anyone had problems with sending money by credit card (and paying the 3% fee) back and forth between two accounts?

I have an important account I use for other business that it is better not to risk getting shut down. But if it is not risky I would like to do the below with a family member:

Example:

Account A sends money to account B by credit card to meet minimum spending and pays the fee.

Account B withdraws.

Some time later Account B sends money to account A to meet minimum spending and pays the 3% fee.

that has been reported in the past as a high risk transaction for shutdown so if you care about your account....DON'T!

savedbyhim01 Mar 6, 2017 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 27997597)
that has been reported in the past as a high risk transaction for shutdown so if you care about your account....DON'T!

Thanks a lot for your response. I will try to avoid it.