Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The 2018 discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2017 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
yowza, who was it that called from capone? Was it a client manager? Or was it someone in some secret dept?
I'm not sure. Probably an investigator of some sort. I obviously hit some radar.

The thing is I really hadn't been doing much lately. Maybe $7000 in spending per month for the last few. From November to March during the 5back promo, I probably put $100k on the card with no problems. I'm going to close my checking account with them that I've had for 15 years out of protest. Probably won't matter though.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:11 pm

My local credit union appears to be too "local" for MS, even though locality was supposed to be a good thing. Essentially, they refuse to accept more or less sizable deposits of MO. First, when I opened an account, the manager refused to accept $1500 in MG MO saying they "were not good". A week later I successfully deposited a $100 MO, yeay!

Today I tried to deposit $1000 and they called "compliance department". Since it's Saturday no one replied, so they turned me down and said I should try to get back on Tue. I can't do that because I work in a different city and the union opens for business leisurely at 8:30 am. I'm not sure what to do with them. Complaining to upper management will only attract attention. I guess I will try to deposit $300 next Sat. At least, I seem to have set a record of the fastest checking account shutdown in history.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: Several dozen
In the Miami area our Spaced Out Coast CU has the same problem with MOs. So does our local Wells-Fraudo.

Originally Posted by NikSem
My local credit union appears to be too "local" for MS, even though locality was supposed to be a good thing. Essentially, they refuse to accept more or less sizable deposits of MO. First, when I opened an account, the manager refused to accept $1500 in MG MO saying they "were not good". A week later I successfully deposited a $100 MO, yeay!

Today I tried to deposit $1000 and they called "compliance department". Since it's Saturday no one replied, so they turned me down and said I should try to get back on Tue. I can't do that because I work in a different city and the union opens for business leisurely at 8:30 am. I'm not sure what to do with them. Complaining to upper management will only attract attention. I guess I will try to deposit $300 next Sat. At least, I seem to have set a record of the fastest checking account shutdown in history.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:31 pm

Most CUs are part of a network called shared branching so you can go to a CU in your city and ask them if they are part of the network. If they are part of it, just present your CU member number (which also serves as your C/A number for most CUs) card and you can make a deposit to your CU. They also scan your DL. This doesn't mean you'll avoid the risk management group of your CU because they will still see deposits you're making.

When I opened an acct with a local CU that is only in my state, I got a call from the risk management group on the second month asking me about the regular MO deposits. I must've given satisfactory answers because from then on, they allowed my deposits averaging $15K to $20K per month for the last several months. I allow my deposits to sit on my account for at least a week before I use their B/P feature to pay bills so they must be agreeable to that.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:15 pm

Do you have other CU options in your city?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: SW,SPG,Hyatt
1)Shutdown by Capital 1 (Venture Rewards)
2)Length of account-2 years, CL-50k
3)N/A
4)Volume of MS-25k per month on and off for 2 years (giftcards.com)
5)Cycle CL-No
6)No WMBP but I made a small payment with my Cap 1 360 account the day before shutdown

I haven't received the letter yet but the CSR that I just spoke with said it was "spending that was inconsistent with their expectations of a personal account" or something to that effect. They started me out with a 30k CL but after several months of 20k per month MS they raised it to 50k without me asking. At that point I bumped my monthly MS up to 25k. I have a seasonal job from March through July and don't have time for MS during those months. I MS during the other 7 months. Started my MS back up in August after a 5 month break. I think what did me in was making a $500.00 payment from my recently opened Cap 1 360 account that I opened for the bonus. Made that payment on the 28th and the account was closed on the 29th. Just found out today though.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by barschools
1)Shutdown by Capital 1 (Venture Rewards)
2)Length of account-2 years, CL-50k

4)Volume of MS-25k per month on and off for 2 years (giftcards.com)

I think what did me in was making a $500.00 payment from my recently opened Cap 1 360 account that I opened for the bonus. Made that payment on the 28th and the account was closed on the 29th. Just found out today though.
I think $25K per month from giftcards.com was the dead giv-a-way once eyes were on the account. Maybe once a year from there during Nov - Jan, but not month after month. IMO.

I like this card BTW
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: SW,SPG,Hyatt
Originally Posted by mhdena
I think $25K per month from giftcards.com was the dead giv-a-way once eyes were on the account. Maybe once a year from there during Nov - Jan, but not month after month. IMO.

I like this card BTW
I think it was that payment from the 360 account that put eyes on my account. 25k is a lot but it was only half of my CL. I liked that card too but I was considering cancelling it since my CU shut me down. Annual fee being due next month. Wish I could have done it on my own terms though.

Does anyone know if a Capital 1 shutdown is permanent? Is it possible to get approved for a card after a certain time interval?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by barschools

Does anyone know if a Capital 1 shutdown is permanent? Is it possible to get approved for a card after a certain time interval?
Yes, Cap 1 doesn't forgive.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Yes, Cap 1 doesn't forgive.
Is CapOne indefinite ban from all cc products or is it like Amex where length of the ban depends on circumstances & they might let you back in after some-many years?

What other banks ban perm/ind?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by NoonRadar
Is CapOne indefinite ban from all cc products or is it like Amex where length of the ban depends on circumstances & they might let you back in after some-many years?

I think US Bank is known to permaban people too.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Most CUs are part of a network called shared branching so you can go to a CU in your city and ask them if they are part of the network. If they are part of it, just present your CU member number (which also serves as your C/A number for most CUs) card and you can make a deposit to your CU. They also scan your DL. This doesn't mean you'll avoid the risk management group of your CU because they will still see deposits you're making.

When I opened an acct with a local CU that is only in my state, I got a call from the risk management group on the second month asking me about the regular MO deposits. I must've given satisfactory answers because from then on, they allowed my deposits averaging $15K to $20K per month for the last several months. I allow my deposits to sit on my account for at least a week before I use their B/P feature to pay bills so they must be agreeable to that.
What were the "satisfactory answers"?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NoonRadar

Amex does not forgive, my husband disputed charges on a Amex card 20 yrs ago, and Amex sided with the merchant, he refused to pay the bill. Today he is turned down for any Amex cards and I can not place him as a AU on my cards and his credit score is in the 800's.

Cap 1 doesn't for give either
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Amex does not forgive, my husband disputed charges on a Amex card 20 yrs ago, and Amex sided with the merchant, he refused to pay the bill. Today he is turned down for any Amex cards and I can not place him as a AU on my cards and his credit score is in the 800's.
Amex does forgive for manufactured spend after a while. They don't forgive if you don't pay the bill.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
From my experience, BoA doesn't forgive for both CC and standard retail accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.