Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The 2018 discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2017 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by barschools
Then I think I got the real truth out of her. She said that my account was costing them money because I move the money out so fast and it cost them to process so many money orders. .
If you had the same amount of money parked that you were running through might have been a different story.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: SW,SPG,Hyatt
You're probably right but I didn't have that much to park there. Even if I did, I'd be afraid to park it in an account that I was MSing with for fear that the funds might get frozen.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:58 am
Suspended

Anyway a bad day for me. I might retire from heavy MS and take up credit card churning.
Credit Card Churning is a dying biz, as more and more banks restrict you to 5/24 and either 1 bonus every 24 months or 1 time ever
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:04 pm

Capital One called me a few weeks ago about my Spark card. They asked me about my business and also about all of the transactions to Giftcardmall. Yesterday I logged into my account and it was locked. I used it for MS and also all of my normal daily spending. Not only that one but I have another account credit card that I used sparingly that got shut down too. I'm not sure why that one was closed as well. I've had that one since I was 18, over 15 years ago.

I called them and just got the run around. I have also had my main bank account with them since I was 18. I am going to go into a branch and close that.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Sandybestdog
Capital One called me a few weeks ago about my Spark card. They asked me about my business and also about all of the transactions to Giftcardmall. Yesterday I logged into my account and it was locked. I used it for MS and also all of my normal daily spending. Not only that one but I have another account credit card that I used sparingly that got shut down too. I'm not sure why that one was closed as well. I've had that one since I was 18, over 15 years ago.

I called them and just got the run around. I have also had my main bank account with them since I was 18. I am going to go into a branch and close that.
what kind of volume where you doing?

were you cycling your CL?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:38 pm

It doesn't matter if you've had an account for 1 or 20 years, a bank will sever all ties if it thinks you're a liability and they won't even think twice.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:05 pm

Barclay arrival shutdown

Got closure notice last week saying "Your history of account usage"

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (brcl@y arrival plus)
2. Length of account before closure and CL? (2 years)
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings? NA
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months? 10k per month for 18 months
5. Cycle CL? No
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y) No
- BP by Vis/MC - Yes, but almost a year ago

2-4 gc dot com purchases per month of about $2500 each for 6-8 months and last gc com purchase in feb
5-6 grocery store $500 purchases once in a week when there was a promotion back in April
Putting 2-4 transactions of 2k to 5k at SMN mall for the last 6 months
Did WMT bill pays almost like 2-4 times a month for 4-6 months in 2016 with MasterCard as payee and last bill pay is in 2016 September.
Never exceeded credit limit or recycled credit.
Credit line is 15k and usually spend about 10k per billing period except in the latest period I spent 14k (highest I ever spent and close to my credit limit)
I use this card for all my non category bonus everyday spend. So I have 10-20 regular spend transactions every month.
I make a payment 1-3 times a month during billing cycle through my linked bank account.

I redeemed miles for transactions twice so far about a year ago and they have been building up for little over a year. Now I have points worth $1100

I used to have two AA cards for 4-6 years too and closed one a year ago and another one just a month ago.

I used the card when I was traveling internationally in multiple countries. I traveled 2 weeks ago. I added my travel info in online portal but when I tired to use it once outside of US, it got declined. So I used citi card for rest of my trip.

Called bclay and they did not provide much info other than advising me to send any inquiries through USPS mail. Just sent them a mail.

So not sure what triggered the review and closure. Could be foreign transaction or getting close to credit line in the latest month?

Questions:
1. What is the best way to get my $1100 points back. That's lot of money and effort.
2. Will they let me apply again for this or any other cards? I am thinking of trying again in 6 months.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Shawnee

5. Cycle CL? No

2-4 gc dot com purchases per month of about $2500 each for 6-8 months and last gc com purchase in feb
5-6 grocery store $500 purchases once in a week when there was a promotion back in April
Did WMT bill pays almost like 2-4 times a month for 4-6 months in 2016 with MasterCard as payee and last bill pay is in 2016 September.
Credit line is 15k and usually spend about 10k per billing period except in the latest period I spent 14k (highest I ever spent and close to my credit limit)
I use this card for all my non category bonus everyday spend. So I have 10-20 regular spend transactions every month.
I make a payment 1-3 times a month during billing cycle through my linked bank account.

I redeemed miles for transactions twice so far about a year ago and they have been building up for little over a year. Now I have points worth $1100

I used to have two AA cards for 4-6 years too and closed one a year ago and another one just a month ago.

I used the card when I was traveling internationally in multiple countries. I traveled 2 weeks ago. I added my travel info in online portal but when I tired to use it once outside of US, it got declined. So I used citi card for rest of my trip.

Called bclay and they did not provide much info other than advising me to send any inquiries through USPS mail. Just sent them a mail.

So not sure what triggered the review and closure. Could be foreign transaction or getting close to credit line in the latest month?

Questions:
1. What is the best way to get my $1100 points back. That's lot of money and effort.
2. Will they let me apply again for this or any other cards? I am thinking of trying again in 6 months.
AA had her BA card shut down also. You can read her blog about it here. It seems the trigger for both of you was a foreign transaction. She was able to use her points after the shut down, so if you have any travel purchases, you may be able to redeem them.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:50 pm

That's surprising and disappointing. Given your activity I wouldn't expect a closure.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by Shawnee

5. Cycle CL? No

Questions:
I was shut down last February (2016) for a similar level of MS with Barclays. In my case I was loading Serve and Buxx cards. I had made a few foreign transactions, although it never occurred to me at the time that it was a factor. I applied for a Barclays card a year later and they denied it without even pulling my credit. Their denial letter mentioned my previously adverse relationship. I'll probably try again in another year.

I didn't get to keep my points, although I didn't put up much of a fight because I only had about $80 worth of points.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:34 pm

yowza, who was it that called from capone? Was it a client manager? Or was it someone in some secret dept?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: SW,SPG,Hyatt
Originally Posted by craz
Credit Card Churning is a dying biz, as more and more banks restrict you to 5/24 and either 1 bonus every 24 months or 1 time ever
Yes it is sir. So is MS unless you want to run around town depositing a handful of money orders into 20 different banks. If you know of any banks or CUs that will tolerate high volume or semi-high volume MOs please post or PM. It took them awhile but they are tightening the screws on all avenues of profiting from credit cards.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Yes it is sir. So is MS unless you want to run around town depositing a handful of money orders into 20 different banks. If you know of any banks or CUs that will tolerate high volume or semi-high volume MOs please post or PM. It took them awhile but they are tightening the screws on all avenues of profiting from credit cards.
Whatever you do, don't post it here or that avenue will be shut down quickly.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Yep. Totally right. Pretty soon all profitable avenues will be closed: prolly not even safe to do it any more....
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stubtify
Sounds like this is exactly what happened to you. You couldn't keep both your deposits and the bank account. One had to go.
No, what happened is that I used the smartphone deposit method that I had never used before and that drew the attention of someone I wasn't on personal friendly terms with. Remember, I did this for years without a hitch because the people I dealt with in person had no problems with it, including managers.

It remains to be seen if I can or cannot deposit MOs again using the in-person method. There was never any threat to close my accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.