Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travelz
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

READ the posts in this thread before asking questions. Many have already been answered.

10k per day limit including fees - must fill out a form (use cards as a budget tool or whatever you want to put)
Check the Simon website for locations.
VGC issued by meta for 3.95 - Count your cards before you leave the mall
When ordering online, Simon uses GCM.
Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soy
It seems that cashback cards such as Arrival+ and Citi DoubleCash etc are the highest risk of shutdown for MS
Can add Spark and QS on the list.

Anything that gives reward in the bank's OWN currency are much higher risk than the airline miles / hotel points. This subj has been talked about periodically scattering around related threads. Those who dont believe or want to know more could go over related threads and read the DPs themselves.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by kingrat
I have been and will keep buying around 9k everytime I go and been doing this for three years without a single shutdown. This is my usual pattern but I started slow and worked up to this doing 1-2k in the first months and then 4-5 k and been doing 9 or 9.5k each visit. My Simon malls knows me and has no issues and they have my paperwork completed for me to save time and I just sign. I do rotate my cards and I don't slam one card over and over. YMMV
See, they were able to answer your question.

To me, the simon mall merchant category only works for singing bonus and I am as cautious as possible. I do the heavy stuff at my local Kroger for the 5% cash back on the OBC. And the VGCs from both places work amazingly in the Middle of Nowhere Wally World to turn them into MOs.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:21 pm

Do WM employees get in trouble if they let a GC go through. I've been very hit or miss depending on the teller some of them are extremely hostile when they ask to see the card? I just dont understand what they get out of being so strict
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by bstv69
Do WM employees get in trouble if they let a GC go through. I've been very hit or miss depending on the teller some of them are extremely hostile when they ask to see the card? I just dont understand what they get out of being so strict
Their manager probably told them so and if they care about their job they don't want to get caught not following the "rules."
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:14 pm

Walked into my local Simon today. I grabbed 9 VGCs and set them on the counter with my ID and 2 credit cards. Guy working there (who I definitely have no dealt with before) simply hands me my form and starts activating them all for $500 without saying a word. (He was smiling, not being rude or anything) First thing he said to me was "how much on the first card today?" With all of the heat I've been getting my from my Vanilla sources and MO shops, that silent acknowledgement of "we both know what this is" is always appreciated. Long live Simon Malls.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Carl
Not Arrival+, long term
Define long term please. I'm trying to MS 25k in 4 months (15k CL) to pay off a flight.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:47 pm

Bought 4 500$ GC from Simon Mall. Went to WM to get money-order and front desk person messed up the transaction and had to be cancelled. the funds still has not returned back to the GC, called Simon CSR and they show it pending credit, so hopefully it gets credited soon.

Any one have experience with this kind and approx. how many days it took to get credited back?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by troyhouse
Bought 4 500$ GC from Simon Mall. Went to WM to get money-order and front desk person messed up the transaction and had to be cancelled. the funds still has not returned back to the GC, called Simon CSR and they show it pending credit, so hopefully it gets credited soon.

Any one have experience with this kind and approx. how many days it took to get credited back?
Mine actually refunded within minutes, I was standing there and reprocessed.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hiima
Mine actually refunded within minutes, I was standing there and reprocessed.
I second that. It happened to me at WM yesterday -- the cashier hit the wrong button and $500 cash appeared on the display, so she canceled it. I went off to buy something, came back and bought the $2K in MOs with the same cards.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm back in the US for a bit and pleased that this is still working. My SM no longer has a counter, so I have to go back to the office, but everything works as before, as do all the WMs that I go to to buy MOs, so I'm building up points and miles again after depleting most of my accounts. I even got one WM back that was completely shut down for MOs when I left.

The only question is whether the CC companies have become stricter, since I will be making multiple payments on CCs this month so that I can buy more GCs. It never got me in trouble before, but my CCs have remained mostly unused for six months.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:29 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
The only question is whether the CC companies have become stricter, since I will be making multiple payments on CCs this month so that I can buy more GCs. It never got me in trouble before, but my CCs have remained mostly unused for six months.
Don't think there has been any real shift in the attitudes of the various banks in the past 6 months, so all is much as it was when you left.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I'm back in the US for a bit and pleased that this is still working. My SM no longer has a counter, so I have to go back to the office, but everything works as before, as do all the WMs that I go to to buy MOs, so I'm building up points and miles again after depleting most of my accounts. I even got one WM back that was completely shut down for MOs when I left.

Welcome back. I've been cycling limits on several CC the last few months and have yet to be shut down by any of them.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by troyhouse

Never happened to me at WM, but it happened several times at K. In my experience, if the money doesn't come back on in five minutes, it doesn't come back on.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:19 pm

When ordering online, Simon uses GCM, so if you also order from GCM you may be blocked from ordering from Simon.
Curios where this (in wiki) came from and what's the data points' story behind it.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: All of them
No worries, I'm sure this sunday it'll be $5 off $200, limit one per lifetime

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.