Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Note: The 2017 posts are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819656-five-back-visa-card-2017-a.html

EDIT 2/3/17 @ 6pm: Rumors suggest Kmart is (or perhaps already has) dropped out of the program. We have two DPs of swipes at Kmart on 2/2 that received 5B on 2/3 (posts #1395 and #1400). Perhaps swipes through "end of week" will receive 5B... could mean 'til the end of Friday 2/3 or Sunday 2/5 or who knows. Please post DPs.

CVS - No longer working
Kmart - Hit & Miss for buying MOs
Staples & Staples.com - Confirmed working but limited to $200/$300 cards
Lowes - Confirmed working but limited to $200 cards

EDIT 1/29/17: Making 5B great again!

EDIT 1/28/17: The gravy train is over

EDIT 1/20/17 @ 2pm EST: At least 2 DPs of 5B posting today (1/20/17) from CVS transactions that took place on Thursday 1/19.

EDIT 1/18/17: CVS is still part of the 5B program. You should still be getting 5B for purchases there. If you aren't, then you should call in. There is no use in posting DPs until on or after the 1/20/17 published CV-Sexit.
Print Wikipost

Five Back Visa Gift Card? (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by cataphoresis
I called Blackhawk Network on the number on the card and they manually re-added the 5% on each of my 6 cards. If you have to call manually each time this is a huge pain in the ....

I thought that maybe it was because I rang up as debit when I bought my VGC at CVS. Today I tried again with another Five Back on a regular purchase and ringing up credit - will see if *that* posts automatically.
Were you able to split the payment on the $500 VGC at CVS ? I just tried this evening at the register said full payment required. I'm thinking the cashier did it wrong but just wondering.

Also, what makes these cards more attractive is that at the grocery store when you buy them it is giving Fuelperks...aka Free Gas
Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by ctdohert2
Were you able to split the payment on the $500 VGC at CVS ? I just tried this evening at the register said full payment required. I'm thinking the cashier did it wrong but just wondering.
I tried with another VGC before....If using debit, it needs to be the last transaction at CVS for split payment to go through.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by abcpp
Tried to buy them in an OD today, they didn't ring the discount... Didn't complete the purchase without the discount.
Bought 3 x $200 at OM and got the $30 discount.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by pkerr
Bought 3 x $200 at OM and got the $30 discount.
same here. my 1st OM didn't have any $200 VGCs

2nd location had about 10 left.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
same here. my 1st OM didn't have any $200 VGCs

2nd location had about 10 left.
Same problem with my OD. No $200 cards.

Interesting to note that besides the Five Back cards they also had a supply of something called Style Everywhere Visa GC.

https://www.styleeverywheregift.com/
"Use the Style Everywhere card at any boutique, shoe store, department store, and online fashion retailers everywhere Visa debit is accepted. From uptown chic to relaxed classic, this card has your style covered."

I'm wondering if this is just a marketing gimmick and it can be used everywhere regardless.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 8:45 pm

Same problem with my OD. No $200 cards.

Interesting to note that besides the Five Back cards they also had a supply of something called Style Everywhere Visa GC.

https://www.styleeverywheregift.com/
"Use the Style Everywhere card at any boutique, shoe store, department store, and online fashion retailers everywhere Visa debit is accepted. From uptown chic to relaxed classic, this card has your style covered."

I'm wondering if this is just a marketing gimmick and it can be used everywhere regardless.
nope, can't be used everywhere.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by noturbizniss
I'm wondering how it's different than the Five Back card? (other than the marketing) Same company is behind each one.

It says it's a Visa debit card. I'm curious as to how, when it's run through the system, the card reader knows it's something other than a "real" debit card.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by noturbizniss
Agreed. Bought one as an experiment, had the Devil's own time trying to liquidate it.

Andyandy
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by andyandy
Agreed. Bought one as an experiment, had the Devil's own time trying to liquidate it.

Andyandy
Out of curiosity... what happened when you tried to buy something? Error message from the card reader?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
I'm wondering how it's different than the Five Back card? (other than the marketing) Same company is behind each one.

It says it's a Visa debit card. I'm curious as to how, when it's run through the system, the card reader knows it's something other than a "real" debit card.
I believe that the restriction is on the Bank side. If the merchant isn't coded properly, the card simply won't authorize.

Andyandy
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:29 am

But the Five Back card doesn't work that way? It's just a matter what merchants will allow the 5% rebate. Card still works everywhere?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: All of them
But the Five Back card doesn't work that way? It's just a matter what merchants will allow the 5% rebate. Card still works everywhere?
Yes. It's not restricted by merchant coding of the register.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat Hilton Diamond Marriott Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Five Percent Not Credited

Blackhawk has an issue with the FBGC with CVS. My cards had to be manually credited, but I was told the issue should be resolved in two-three weeks with the automatic credit.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So a bunch of supermarkets are selling the Five Back card this week with a $10 discount, so you can get a $200 card for $196.95. The doctorofcredit website has some of the details. That's nice enough with a good grocery store bonus credit card, but it's obviously better if you can take the Five Back card to CVS and then buy a $500 gift card to get the 5% back. I did this, but the cashback didn't post to the gift card in the 48-hour period it's supposed to post. I called Blackhawk yesterday to complain, and they opened "a ticket" on my claim. So far, still no cashback. Has anyone else had experience with this? The card seems like a bit of a sham if the cashback doesn't actually work.

EDIT: Ha! Martig4 addressed my problem as I was typing my post. Thanks. We'll see what happens!

Last edited by iahphx; Oct 12, 2016 at 8:21 pm Reason: more
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:53 pm

I purchased five $200 Five Back gift card at Office depot with my Chase Ink Plus last week, partly to meet the $5K minimum spending as it is a new credit card.

I made a purchase Sunday night with one of the Five Back on 10/9 at 10:17pm at CVS for about $100. This was all legit spend - I did not buy another gift card, so there would be no possible exclusion of purchases for cash back. CVS is one of the merchants that is eligible for 5% cash back with the Five Back card.

Today, Wednesday afternoon, more than 65 hours later, the 5% had not posted on the Five Back card.

Fivebackgift.com claims the cash back is supposed to go within 48 hours of the purchase, and to call their customer service if it did not.

So, I called ... First, there is not even a menu option for this issue of missing cash back. The closest one is "dispute a transaction", which I used. The CSR tried to tell me the transaction had posted one day later, on 10/10 and it wasn't 48 hours yet, and to call back later. I had a long argument about the time of the transaction, but got nowhere. First, he told me the transaction posted on 10/10 at 5:27am. Then, he changed his story and said it posted on 10/10 at 5:27pm. When I asked him what time zone he was referring to, he said UTC. At the time of my call, it was already past 10pm in the UTC time zone. Then, he tried to tell me it wasn't UTC, but central time. He told me it wasn't 5:27pm in Central time yet. Never mind it was actually 5:35pm Central time. He claimed it was 4:35pm central time. We just couldn't agree on what central time was ! I asked him where he was calling from, and he El Salvador. He said the credit should post within one hour, and if not, I should call again.

Of course, the 5% back did not post within one hour. I'm on the phone with them again. The second CSR was able to see that the original transaction date was indeed on 10/9 and not 10/10, and that it was indeed well over 48 hours. I provided my contact info, and he gave me a reference number and I was told they would get back to me within 2 business days.

I have spent well over 30 min on the phone just to try to get $5 . This is of course much more effort than most people will go through for that amount.

Has the same thing happened to others with Five Back, ie. not getting their cash back within the promised 48 hours, or at all without having to get in touch ?

This smells like a scam to me. I'm thinking of filing a report with the CFPB. Would like to know what the experience of others has been with Five Back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.