Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2016, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Sorry for the rambling OP. I skipped my meds for a couple of weeks.

Note: If it's MOs that still motivate, just skip this post. Although it's still done out there, it just doesn't interest, just my two cents.

On promotions where a min spend promotion over a specific period of time, one could just get that $500 spend out of the way with one purchase in the specific category where the points are better than 1pt./$1 and be done with it for the month. Yes, I know the so called "game" spurns a GC fee as almost anathema for anything other than a cash out vehicle, but done with that.

It also keeps one from exceeding the min. spend benchmark as one can easily be distracted when busy, which I confess, happened to me. The GC can just deny when the purchase is over the amount. Yes, I know that online payments are a better method but there are so many promotions in various categories, other cards often dominate.

I use the JetBlue MC $500 spend for 3x months for 5000 points to base my thought here. I "recklessly" spent a portion of $600 in categories that didn't net me the extra points.

Had I used the card to pick up the $495.00 GC at the grocer, I would have gotten the $500 spend over with for the first month, garnered the 2xs normal TrueBlue points upfront and then went on to spend it (pay as you go normal spend or online bill pay) at/in lesser point categories. Done for the month.

I am then free to pay attention to my other minimum spend pursuits on cards that may require more thought/strategy.
Print Wikipost

Revised method oped worth about 2cents

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Revised method oped worth about 2cents

Note: If it's MOs that still motivate, just skip this post. Although it's still done out there, it just doesn't interest, just my two cents.

On promotions where a min spend promotion over a specific period of time, one could just get that $500 spend out of the way with one purchase in the specific category where the points are better than 1pt./$1 and be done with it for the month. Yes, I know the so called "game" spurns a GC fee as almost anathema for anything other than a cash out vehicle, but done with that.

It also keeps one from exceeding the min. spend benchmark as one can easily be distracted when busy, which I confess, happened to me. The GC can just deny when the purchase is over the amount. Yes, I know that online payments are a better method but there are so many promotions in various categories, other cards often dominate.

I use the JetBlue MC $500 spend for 3x months for 5000 points to base my thought here. I "recklessly" spent a portion of $600 in categories that didn't net me the extra points.

Had I used the card to pick up the $495.00 GC at the grocer, I would have gotten the $500 spend over with for the first month, garnered the 2xs normal TrueBlue points upfront and then went on to spend it (pay as you go normal spend or online bill pay) at/in lesser point categories. Done for the month.

I am then free to pay attention to my other minimum spend pursuits on cards that may require more thought/strategy.

As an aside, a Walmart SuperCenter buy registered as a grocery purchase (2xs points).

Last edited by jan_believes; May 12, 2016 at 7:25 am Reason: a few words for clarity
Old May 12, 2016, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by jan_believes

Yes, I know the so called "game" spurns a GC fee as almost anathema for anything other than a cash out vehicle, but done with that.
Thank you for this observation. Please continue, and tell this message to as many people as you can. Everyone should know that cash out vehicles are a silly myth that should be avoided. The people that actually make it work can only do so because they are hiding the dreadful truth about it.

If you haven't tried MOs yet, listen to the OP!
Old May 13, 2016, 8:57 am

This makes about as much sense as a lead balloon.
Old May 13, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: All of them
It actually makes no sense at all. Just nonsensical babbling and incomplete thoughts / sentences.
Old May 13, 2016, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Talking

Originally Posted by Lappie
This makes about as much sense as a lead balloon.
^This. I was trying my best to follow, but gave up about halfway through. Someone was posting during Happy Hour.
Old May 13, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
It actually makes no sense at all. Just nonsensical babbling and incomplete thoughts / sentences.
+1. I read it twice and can't figure out what the heck the point was.
Old May 13, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by cruisr
+1. I read it twice and can't figure out what the heck the point was.
As I understand it the point is that its better to spend 4.95 each month buy purchasing a gift card if you have a bonus offer like spend 500 each month for three months, that way you will not actually lose track and spend 600 one month, that extra 100 could be better spent on a different more valuable card. so the moral of the story is its better to spend an extra $15 to gain an extra 100 miles in a better account.
one minor flaw is the reduced purchase protection when purchasing with a visa gift card rather than a regular visa card and the spending the extra $15.
Old May 13, 2016, 3:57 pm

That OP is some beautiful mind s&#t right there
Old May 13, 2016, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
As I understand it the point is that its better to spend 4.95 each month buy purchasing a gift card if you have a bonus offer like spend 500 each month for three months, that way you will not actually lose track and spend 600 one month, that extra 100 could be better spent on a different more valuable card. so the moral of the story is its better to spend an extra $15 to gain an extra 100 miles in a better account.
one minor flaw is the reduced purchase protection when purchasing with a visa gift card rather than a regular visa card and the spending the extra $15.
If you can't keep track of your spend (both minimum spend and manufactured spend) you shouldn't be in the game.
Old May 13, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by cruisr
If you can't keep track of your spend (both minimum spend and manufactured spend) you shouldn't be in the game.
I was not agreeing or "believing" the op has a good idea, was just trying to explain what they were offering as a plan
Old May 13, 2016, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
I was not agreeing or "believing" the op has a good idea, was just trying to explain what they were offering as a plan
I should have actually quoted OP instead of you. OP: First rule, keep track of everything.
Old May 13, 2016, 10:53 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

This thread seems to be a bit difficult for members to follow. OP, please feel free to re-post in a more coherent manner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.