FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Revised method oped worth about 2cents
View Single Post
Old May 12, 2016, 7:06 am
jan_believes

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Revised method oped worth about 2cents

Note: If it's MOs that still motivate, just skip this post. Although it's still done out there, it just doesn't interest, just my two cents.

On promotions where a min spend promotion over a specific period of time, one could just get that $500 spend out of the way with one purchase in the specific category where the points are better than 1pt./$1 and be done with it for the month. Yes, I know the so called "game" spurns a GC fee as almost anathema for anything other than a cash out vehicle, but done with that.

It also keeps one from exceeding the min. spend benchmark as one can easily be distracted when busy, which I confess, happened to me. The GC can just deny when the purchase is over the amount. Yes, I know that online payments are a better method but there are so many promotions in various categories, other cards often dominate.

I use the JetBlue MC $500 spend for 3x months for 5000 points to base my thought here. I "recklessly" spent a portion of $600 in categories that didn't net me the extra points.

Had I used the card to pick up the $495.00 GC at the grocer, I would have gotten the $500 spend over with for the first month, garnered the 2xs normal TrueBlue points upfront and then went on to spend it (pay as you go normal spend or online bill pay) at/in lesser point categories. Done for the month.

I am then free to pay attention to my other minimum spend pursuits on cards that may require more thought/strategy.

As an aside, a Walmart SuperCenter buy registered as a grocery purchase (2xs points).

Last edited by jan_believes; May 12, 2016 at 7:25 am Reason: a few words for clarity