Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:03 pm

Washington DC area dead for 500 VGC!

Only vanillas now. I have search high and low. Nothing to be found. Food Lion, Shoppers, Harris Teeter, Safeway and now Giant. All gone. All that is left is the Post Office (no way!), Staples/BBB (can't make any money on 200s). Did I miss anything? Vanillas are way to hard to liquidate in volume. A single one here or there will splip by, but not much more. Serve was the only way to do it before, but now that is shut down too!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:28 pm

It may help to send an email to Stop&Shop to tell them how we feel about this new policy, without any warning.
(Or it may not)
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:08 am

My heart sunk when I went to the customer service desk at the Woburn, MA location. This is going to make it so much harder to maximize the AMEX BCP. Did all Shaws pull their VGCs?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 3:03 am

About a month ago, my bank started to display the message below on its online banking page. I didn't think much about it then, but now I wonder:

>>> Stop & Shop: Due to a recent number of fraudulent transactions at Stop & Shop locations, we have blocked all credit (pinless) transactions over $200 at all U.S. Stop & Shop stores. In order to complete any transaction over $200, your pin must be used. <<<
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by hokiegl
Only vanillas now. I have search high and low. Nothing to be found. Food Lion, Shoppers, Harris Teeter, Safeway and now Giant. All gone. All that is left is the Post Office (no way!), Staples/BBB (can't make any money on 200s). Did I miss anything? Vanillas are way to hard to liquidate in volume. A single one here or there will splip by, but not much more. Serve was the only way to do it before, but now that is shut down too!
There's Save A Lot, but 1. I've never been in one, 2. the only location I know of is in Brentwood, and 3. I'm not sure if they sell open-loop gift cards at all. I know Wegmans do, but the max is $200 and I'm not sure if they can be bought with credit.

Last edited by emmanuel_t; Mar 11, 2016 at 5:39 am
Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by JJLeahy47
My heart sunk when I went to the customer service desk at the Woburn, MA location. This is going to make it so much harder to maximize the AMEX BCP. Did all Shaws pull their VGCs?
Yes, both Shaws and Hannaford (if they are in your area) pulled all variable VGCs. Shaws still has the 25/50/100's, but Hannaford only has retailer GCs now.

I'm still optimistic that this will resolve itself once chip & pin is enabled at these stores. I've been told a number of times that S&S does make money on these types of transactions and I have personally been encouraged to continue by folks higher than the store level.

Also, an additional data point: a CSR told me yesterday that the memo also stated they needed to pull all Apple gift cards from shelves (not iTunes, just Apple store). It looks like Apple store gift cards sell for roughly 85% - 90% of face value online, so this lends more credence to the idea that this is totally fraud related.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
My CSR saw me waiting on line and removing the tear strips from the back of the packages to make it easier for her. She was talking to someone else but when she saw me she said, "Don't bother doing that. You cant use your credit card anymore" Another sad day.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:56 am

Note to my Northern Virginia friends, FWIW --

Arlington County accepts debit cards for property tax payments, with no fee if done in person at county office. Paying online with a debit card generates a fee. So, one costless way to liquidate cards, at least up to your liability for the year. Not sure about other counties.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
Note to my Northern Virginia friends, FWIW --

Arlington County accepts debit cards for property tax payments, with no fee if done in person at county office. Paying online with a debit card generates a fee. So, one costless way to liquidate cards, at least up to your liability for the year. Not sure about other counties.
The problem on hand has more to do with acquiring GCs then with liquidating them.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
The problem on hand has more to do with acquiring GCs then with liquidating them.
Theres no problem being able to buy GCs, the problem for some is liquidating them or with most supermkts now being ca$h or debit, if its worthwhile buying them in relationship to what a person will be earning. Id think in many cases it will be a 1-1 or 1% earnings if that = for many not worth the time and effort

When I tried yesterday a different source of biz the CC threw a Fraud alert and in the end mentioned GCs. So the #s werent a problem at a supermkt due to all the catering they were doing for me, but this other source it didnt fly, will try again but no way to rack up the #s as I did with SnS. Just want to finish off a year Spend that Im 1/2 way thru doing and its not worth it @ a 1-1 ratio

So in the post you quoted, its not so easy to unload Vanillas but paying off ones taxes is a god way to get rid of Vanillas, which I believe most if not all drg stores carry
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:24 pm

Different strokes ... Issues and challenges of MS vary by locale. My personal experience in NOVA has been: relatively easy & convenient acquire GCs, harder to liquidate. As to latter, main issue for me has been inconvenient & scarce MO vendors. I have almost the exact opposite problem when I visit family in different part of country.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Theres no problem being able to buy GCs...
I suppose you have missed the last several pages of this thread where people said they were no longer able to buy GCs (with CC). As far as I know no GC liquidating avenues died along with the change S&S had implemented yesterday.

Different strokes ... Issues and challenges of MS vary by locale. My personal experience in NOVA has been: relatively easy & convenient acquire GCs, harder to liquidate. As to latter, main issue for me has been inconvenient & scarce MO vendors. I have almost the exact opposite problem when I visit family in different part of country.
Are there still grocery stores in your area that allow GC purchases with credit? S&S was the last major chain in my area that allowed that...and now that's gone.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:55 pm

Speaking of liquidation, MO with GC worked once at Giant, the next time I tried I was scowled at. I've never had any luck with Harris Teeter. Safeway are cash only. Can you recommend any shops for liquidation?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
Can you recommend any shops for liquidation?
Is there walmart in your area? USPS Office?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hmmm... I went and purchased some on Wednesday late afternoon in the metrowest MA area, so maybe was just before the change? There were plenty of variables available.

Cust service desk just did the usual thing and asked for my license with my CC, checked that the name matched and gave it back so I could purchase. I'll have to check out that store and another one near me this weekend to see if they have signs posted.

Really sucks if thats it for being able to buy them, as that pretty much kills purchases from grocery stores for cards and gas point bonuses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.