Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by mser95
It was a marathon for me. I started when I was 17 and now im 20, and have spent about 60k a month for 3 years.
You really don't get it do you? Oh well. Don't feel sorry for you in the least.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
You really don't get it do you? Oh well. Don't feel sorry for you in the least.
The question of who doesn't get it is an interesting one, isn't it?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by toxicity
The question of who doesn't get it is an interesting one, isn't it?
It is...
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Any other cash/debit only experiences?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:38 pm

Went to 5 SS in NYC area. All cash only. Some had that "effective immediately..." sign others didnt. Same outcome.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:15 pm

Saw the entry on here about cash/debit only and went to my local Giant in Maryland this evening. No problem using a credit card. I asked the friendly night manager who knows me as an avid VGC buyer if she had heard anything. She said she hasn't heard anything about going debit only. She did mention that stores have always had that option, but that typically only stores who have had allot of issues have chosen to go that route.

When Weiss (a small grocery chain in Maryland) went debit/cash it took a couple of weeks for the registers to be hard coded. So perhaps Giant will stay allowing credit cards or perhaps we are living on borrowed time here in Maryland .
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:04 pm
soy

Programs: various
because of this... https://consumerist.com/2016/03/08/n...se-gift-cards/

hopefully temporary until they adopt Chip & Pin
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
Spending 60K a month at Giant and S&S is why things like this don't last. It's a marathon not a sprint.
I'm pretty sure you're wrong. There are people who were doing numbers like that and more for years without incident. What I think you fail to see is how this coincides with many other regional grocery chains also going cash only recently. Something else is up. One possibility is fraud liability falling onto stores who are not chip compliant starting in October. The timing is perfect because fraud ramps up over the holidays, and now they are seeing the damage that's been done.

Maybe you should investigate an issue before you blindly assign blame.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by soy
because of this... https://consumerist.com/2016/03/08/n...se-gift-cards/

hopefully temporary until they adopt Chip & Pin
I was thinking the same thing because S&S doesn't use chip yet. '

I was told cash only by a store earlier this week but it was a store that always makes it own's rules. So I wasn't surprised. They told me corporate said cash only, I was just thinking it was a paranoid excuse. This was Monday.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by gregoryfo
Saw the entry on here about cash/debit only and went to my local Giant in Maryland this evening. No problem using a credit card. I asked the friendly night manager who knows me as an avid VGC buyer if she had heard anything. She said she hasn't heard anything about going debit only. She did mention that stores have always had that option, but that typically only stores who have had allot of issues have chosen to go that route.
I visited 3 stores in the MD suburbs (outside of DC) last night from 8-9 PM. All previously accepted credit. All refused to sell on credit this time around and showed me the sign.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No issue in MA, at least the S&S I visit. Did notice they had a new card reader at the service desk that has the chip function, although they still said to swipe the card. Sure would be crappy if they go cash only.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by rylan
No issue in MA, at least the S&S I visit. Did notice they had a new card reader at the service desk that has the chip function, although they still said to swipe the card. Sure would be crappy if they go cash only.
Where in MA are you? I was told cash only last night (~8PM) in Boston. No sign, but the manager told me a memo was emailed yesterday afternoon that said to immediately stop taking credit cards for visa, MC, or Amex gift cards. He theorized that there was a massive fraud somewhere in the area, but he said no reason was given in the memo.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:19 am

Signs were up this morning in my normal S&S in Western MA. No questions were asked when making purchase so registers are not hard coded at this point, so YMMV.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:22 am

Shutdown in Boston here.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:41 am

CT done too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.