Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by bargainhunter3
I got the same email this morning. No mention of fees. . What's interesting is it's the same routing number and account number.
This must be one of the world's slowest roll outs.

I still have gotten nothing from them.

Perhaps the delay is in getting the DD's from employers coordinated with the new accounts. I imagine that this might take some back office work for those of us who have employer based DDs applied to our account. Anyway, I will report when I get my email and in about 2 weeks we will all know about the WM fee, which, if true, will make Go pretty much worthless to me, no matter what the name of the account is at that time.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I've had a GB account for a number of years. My current GB debit card expires 07/23. P2 also has a GB account with a debit card expiring 08/23. Reading this thread, I've been waiting for the account closure notice. Instead, both of us received the following email today from [email protected]:

Your new GoBank® card is in the mail and will arrive soon. Your new card will replace your existing card ending in XXXX. You must activate your new card by October 31, 2021, or your account will be closed and we will issue a check for the remaining balance.

Your new GoBank card will have a new card number, but your bank account and routing numbers and account balance will remain the same.

So, activate your new card by October 31, 2021, and don’t miss out on enjoying the great benefits you know and love.

Anyone care to explain that? There is no mention in the email of a loading fee, and no mention of Go2Bank. So will they be sending us a Go2Bank card to replace our current GB cards? Has anyone else gotten this email?

(In any event, if there will be a loading fee beginning in mid-September, this account will be useless to me. I may just elect to NOT activate the new debit cards and make sure to drop the account balances to zero prior to October 31.)
I got the same email as GetawaysRus. I would be interested in the info about load fee at Walmart.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Beechy
I got the same email as GetawaysRus. I would be interested in the info about load fee at Walmart.
Per this post:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33519858-post1411.html

Others have also added DPs indicating that they received a similar email, although there are also those who have not gotten such a notification.

Bottom line: We have no idea, but if it comes to fruition, we have been forewarned
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I have AmEx B-bird accounts as well. I sockdrawered the BB cards some time ago because I started having some difficulty with billpay from BB. But I would consider adding those back to my wallet after mid-September, and trying BB again, unless anyone has heard hints of a BB loading fee. So far, I've only heard that the proposed loading fee will apply to GB loads.

Anyone else thinking the same? I was shut down once in the past by BB, so I do think it's a somewhat more difficult avenue for MS than GB.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:25 am

I also got the email about a new GoBank card arriving. Willing to bet it will have new terms of service as well. Be interesting to see whether it will really be a Go2Bank card. Probably. Not holding out much hope that we will get grandfathered with free loads, but you never know.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by time_stamp
I also got the email about a new GoBank card arriving. Willing to bet it will have new terms of service as well. Be interesting to see whether it will really be a Go2Bank card. Probably. Not holding out much hope that we will get grandfathered with free loads, but you never know.
Agree on all points.

As far as the charge is concerned, i cannot see how they would be able to grandfather certain accounts and not others.

When the ill-fated first round of fees was attempted, the way it worked was that the fee was added prior to my sliding the card and telling the amount to be deposited.

WM had already taken their cut of the deal. WM had no interest in knowing who was forking over the money.

The only hope I have is that WM again gets cold feet over gigging it's corporate banking partner by charging GD bank's customers with another fee. Not likely
Old Sep 3, 2021, 12:34 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by radonc1
Agree on all points.

As far as the charge is concerned, i cannot see how they would be able to grandfather certain accounts and not others.

When the ill-fated first round of fees was attempted, the way it worked was that the fee was added prior to my sliding the card and telling the amount to be deposited.

WM had already taken their cut of the deal. WM had no interest in knowing who was forking over the money.

The only hope I have is that WM again gets cold feet over gigging it's corporate banking partner by charging GD bank's customers with another fee. Not likely
The email version some of us got implies WM is charging the fee, so likely all GoB cards will be affected. I suppose we'll see when DPs roll in after 9-16.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
The email version some of us got implies WM is charging the fee, so likely all GoB cards will be affected. I suppose we'll see when DPs roll in after 9-16.
I don't understand Go at all.

In their app, they have a tab called "notifications". When there is a Go notification for me to read, the app has a bright red dot over this tab on the home screen.

How darn hard would it be for Go to send me a notification that a fee is going to be added to WM deposits?? Or that my account is going to be transferred to a new account?? I can understand sending an email as well, but it seems more reasonable (and certainly easier to perform and confirm that the message was sent and delivered to the appropriate account) to do that as well.

Of course, no notification sent as of yet by either method.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 7:07 pm
soy

Programs: various
Got my new Go2 card in the mail today (unsolicited). Like the email I got a few weeks back, the letter confirms my GoBank account will work until end Oct at which point it will close.

To move to Go2, I just need to activate the new card and everything will transfer over to the new account. For those of us who will have no use for Go2, the letter states that a check for any residual balance will be sent to the address on file, within 30 days of GoBank account closure. However I intend to run my balance down rather than wait for a check.

No mention of any fee being added to GoCard for the last few weeks
littlewinglet likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 9:25 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM) | Hertz President's Circle
Changing my alias to MS-stradamus. 😎👌🏼

j/k

-b.

Originally Posted by soy
Got my new Go2 card in the mail today (unsolicited). Like the email I got a few weeks back, the letter confirms my GoBank account will work until end Oct at which point it will close.

To move to Go2, I just need to activate the new card and everything will transfer over to the new account. For those of us who will have no use for Go2, the letter states that a check for any residual balance will be sent to the address on file, within 30 days of GoBank account closure. However I intend to run my balance down rather than wait for a check.

soy likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by soy

You are already getting a new card and I have yet to receive a bloody email

Given that the change is suppose to be in less than a week, it would seem to me to be imperative that the bank inform it's customers that a change is in the air, wouldn't you think??
Old Sep 9, 2021, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
You are already getting a new card and I have yet to receive a bloody email

Given that the change is suppose to be in less than a week, it would seem to me to be imperative that the bank inform it's customers that a change is in the air, wouldn't you think??
P3 never recd an email about transition to Go2 but recd email yday about a new card is in the mail, while P2 got an email last mo about the transition but no email notif yet about mail delivery.. lol, they haven't got their acts together yet
Old Sep 11, 2021, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
P3 never recd an email about transition to Go2 but recd email yday about a new card is in the mail, while P2 got an email last mo about the transition but no email notif yet about mail delivery.. lol, they haven't got their acts together yet
The issue is that you and your other P's have been notified in one manner or another that a change is coming, either to the account or that a new card is coming in the mail. I am certain that within that mail notification is the information on the transition to Go2, which was described by soy.

I have received nada. My account is active for both deposits and payments to various billers.

In 5 days, GD is suppose to be adding a fee for any deposit other than a DD by employer. It would be nice of them if they notified ALL of their customers of this significant change in terms
Old Sep 11, 2021, 11:32 am

go2bank says maximum monthly loading limit of 3K. I believe in walmart there is 4 card swipe per transaction limit that means you can load $1500 for 4.95 fee but I believe this does not work because Walmart has its restrictions. with old card I could not load 1K in one transaction but I could do 500 twice.
So if it is really 4.95 fee for 500 load then this will not be very lucrative. can someone chime on this?
Old Sep 11, 2021, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
go2bank says maximum monthly loading limit of 3K. I believe in walmart there is 4 card swipe per transaction limit that means you can load $1500 for 4.95 fee but I believe this does not work because Walmart has its restrictions. with old card I could not load 1K in one transaction but I could do 500 twice.
So if it is really 4.95 fee for 500 load then this will not be very lucrative. can someone chime on this?
From prior DPs, there was one that said that the first swipe of a card was the card (Go card) that you were loading.
So technically, you could only do 3 swipes with a debit card, to stay in the 4 swipe rule at WM.

I have never done multiple swipes so I have no idea if this is true or not. However, if there is one way to get noticed at a supermarket or WM, it's doing multiple swipes of "debit cards"

Any additional fee for loading your Go card makes it that much more undesirable for MSing purposes. With a monthly limit of only $3500 and a load limit of $500 for cash transactions, the cost of doing Go MSing increases by almost 1% ($9.90/1000) although at WM, your cost is "only" $3.74/$500 load or about 0.75%.

That is too much for my level of activity, especially since I don't churn nor do SUBs on cards. (have not gotten a new card in at least 5 years).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.