Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2021, 5:33 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by benny08
MS at WM is depended on the area and/or the cashier, I wouldnt be surprise if they did this to cut down MS activities across the board. Since now the fee is hard coded, they hope they can discourage MSing with the GoBank card.
It is true that hard coding a charge will supress MSing activity, but Go was never a big player to begin with.

There was a $3000/mo. maximum deposit limit on each account, and unless one had the ability to DD $500/mo. into the account, an $8.95 service charge. Go was not a bargain before the new charge and now, it is actually a worse alternative for an on-line bank than others such as Netspend and the like.

For me, it was a good avenue to eliminate a few $200 GCs purchased at OM or Staples. That is gone with the new charge.

The real question is whether I can load Go for less than $3.74 elsewhere, and how much can I load at one time. Loading $1000 for $2-3 fee is much better than doing $200 for the same charge. This will take some footwork.

As an amusing aside, Go reimbursed me the $3.74 that WM charged for my last load
Old Jul 20, 2021, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
The real question is whether I can load Go for less than $3.74 elsewhere, and how much can I load at one time. Loading $1000 for $2-3 fee is much better than doing $200 for the same charge. This will take some footwork.
Are there even other options besides WM to load with debits? I was under the impression that the other locations would only do cash.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by time_stamp
Are there even other options besides WM to load with debits? I was under the impression that the other locations would only do cash.
No, you can load Go Bank with a debit card at certain locations. I confirmed this by phone (but until I can really load it, this is as far as I will go)

What is cute is that most (but not all ) locations charge a loading fee of ....you guessed it $3.95

It is cute that WM chose a slightly discounted rate of $3.74 as their loading fee.
miss_travel likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 2:34 pm

deleted
Old Jul 20, 2021, 2:36 pm

The real question is whether I can load Go for less than $3.74 elsewhere, and how much can I load at one time. Loading $1000 for $2-3 fee is much better than doing $200 for the same charge. This will take some footwork
u apparently didn't try >$500 loading to Go card for a while; it can't for >1yr now; so anyone now wants to load $1k, would pay $3.74 twice
Old Jul 20, 2021, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
u apparently didn't try >$500 loading to Go card for a while; it can't for >1yr now; so anyone now wants to load $1k, would pay $3.74 twice
Correct on never loading >$500 to Go, other than by DD.

I didn't think that the customer Go caters to would be doing cash loads of $600-1000. This group would be cashing out their DD (i.e. paycheck), not putting in. I wanted to keep my account open so as I have said above, my activities have been "muted" to say the least.

If you are correct on not being able to load >$500, then it now is twice as expensive. Go is appearing to be a lost cause.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 4:07 pm

Correct on never loading >$500 to Go, other than by DD.

I didn't think that the customer Go caters to would be doing cash loads of $600-1000. This group would be cashing out their DD (i.e. paycheck), not putting in. I wanted to keep my account open so as I have said above, my activities have been "muted" to say the least.

If you are correct on not being able to load >$500, then it now is twice as expensive. Go is appearing to be a lost cause.
sometime in 2019, they reduced max load to $500 from $1.1k in 1 trxn
Old Jul 20, 2021, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by goback211
I believe that's Go2bank?
But I thought it wasn't free.
Go2bank is not it; it has fees for loading; rather, its the Unlimited version but can't find for new acct opening; Go may have discontinued it... any folks happen to have an existing acct to confirm?
Old Jul 21, 2021, 1:48 am

Thanks for the additional DPs.

This just confirms what was written in previous posts by others.

I just finished talking to corporate at Green Dot Bank.

I have unfortunate information to convey to all.

WM has decided unilaterally to add a $3.74 fee for each load onto Go Bank. From what I gathered in my conversation, there was no notification to Green Dot bank.of this charge.

Bottom line....charge is real and seemingly permanent.
I have to think this is a glitch. Gobank TandC hasn’t changed. The Walmart website still shows free deposits.
has anyone noticed at their local Walmart’s if they pulled the gobank cards? I won’t be able to check myself until next week.
a poster at DoC said he had a cashier cancel the initial load, retry and no fee showed up.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by bargainhunter3
I have to think this is a glitch. Gobank TandC hasn’t changed. The Walmart website still shows free deposits.
has anyone noticed at their local Walmart’s if they pulled the gobank cards? I won’t be able to check myself until next week.
a poster at DoC said he had a cashier cancel the initial load, retry and no fee showed up.
Corporate knows of the charge. That I have confirmed

The fact that they didn't know about the institution of the charge is borne out by their lack of knowledge that their web site still touted WM as a free load and that their kits that are sold for $2.98 in WM still said on them that WM was a free load.

I have not re-examined the web site but I bet all the kits have been pulled from WM

I have not retried loading my Go card since Monday, but i can certainly try. I suspect that the DOC report was an error, but I can be corrected and certainly hope that this is a glitch.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: CMT
Does anyone know how to check the moneypak card's balance?
I got a new moneypak card and tried to load it into an eligible parpaid card (it accepted moneypaks successfully before ). But it didn't work. The error message is "We’re sorry, but the card you entered does not accept MoneyPak or the card was not found. Please check the card information you entered and try again." Thank you.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 12:49 pm

you think harder than them boys. I mean MSers wont be able to loot and plunder banks after bank if banks thought so much.

Last edited by Gitangali; Jul 22, 2021 at 3:29 pm
Old Jul 24, 2021, 5:36 am

Would the WalMart MoneyCard work as an alternative to the Gobank card? I see on the website cash reloads are free if you use the MoneyCard app. Could you use a gebit this way? From the MoneyCard website:

“Depositing cash using the app is one of the most convenient options to add cash to your account. Simply create a secure deposit code that you will show to the cashier at participating retailers, with just your phone—no card involved. There are no forms to fill out, no phone calls needed, and no numbers to input to complete your deposit.”
Old Jul 24, 2021, 6:57 am

DP: No load fee again in Walmart (NJ) on 7/22 and 7/23.
jeffersun likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by banli
DP: No load fee again in Walmart (NJ) on 7/22 and 7/23.
Would you please clarify.

Are you saying that you were able to load without a fee yesterday and the day before??

I did a quick scouting of WM's web page and they still have the bullet point of a no cash load fee for their Go Bank card. I would have anticipated that, by now, they would have modified that web site.

If above is true, a hopeful sign. I will go and test that today.

Just tested with $25 load and there was no fee😁😁
If some others will add DPs confirming this, we can change the Wiki
nwflyboy, danhouston and jeffersun like this.

Last edited by radonc1; Jul 24, 2021 at 8:06 am Reason: New info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.