Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2016 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
That doesn't sound too risky, but I'm sorry to hear that Chase viewed it otherwise. Did you recently run up a lot of debt on other unsecured credit cards? That could mean as simple as high statement balances posting to your credit report, even if you paid them to zero the following day.
No unusual activity on any other cards and never more than 5K outstanding balance on all cards combined. I have about $250K credit line across all banks combined.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Perhaps your INK business card transactions over time did not look "normal" for a real business. Try to manage your "business" transactions so that they pass a cursory sniff test. Banks hate it when your business card usage pattern looks like you are giving them the business.

Originally Posted by Shawnee
Chase shutdown all my cards last week. It was a sad day for me.
ink card and 4 personal cards
Use ink for about 1K a month usually and when there are offers, i went upto to 3K in the week several times. Do not use for non bonus catagory much, may be <5%.
With recent offer, I went upto $8K at Office Depot. Never exceeded credit limit and I have about 80K limit on all cards together.
Used to do WM bill pay once in two months.
Made 5 payments last month.
So it is either the increased $8K OD spend or 5 WM payments or combination triggered it.
They refunded prorated annual fee on all cards.

I still have checking account with them with 10K balance. No MO deposits ever. Very inactive account. Not sure if they shut down checking or not. Online does not indicate any.

I called one of the card and they have no info as why they shutdown other than saying the relationship ended. Gave an address to write if I need more info.

Questions:
1. Should I write to chase asking for details of shutdown or wait for their correspondence in mail?
2. Any way to apepal and any chance I get accounts back? I am really going to miss ink.
3. My ink cards show 10K points pending for current period. Do I get them? Can I force them to award those points?
4. I read somewhere that someone got an approval for new card in a year or two. Does it mean there may be a chance for me to get back with them in a year or two? What advise I have here.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond
Citi Shutdown 2 weeks earlier. Now Chase too

I was doing mostly MS as opposed to churning cards. Lots of billpay, some MO.
No MO deposits at Chase for over 1 year.

It started with Citi shutting down 3 cards - 2 weeks back. Citi AA personal and Biz. I think the culprit was too many billpay per cycle (4-5 bill pay at WM per cycle).

Just came back from a 5 day long weekend trip where i used my Chase Freedom card in dining. Tried to use it today and found Chase Freedom + Chase UA + Chase Ink + Chase Marriott all cancelled. I hit my 50 K limit on my Chase INK card in final days of membership year so its not like I hit the limit in 4 months !!

I was also using Chase Ink heavily in in non-bonused spending so its not like i was only doing bonus spending. Anyways, really sad today.

Just transferred out 432K Ultimate Rewards points before any further issue occurs. 192K to Singapore Airlines and remaining 240K to United.

I am going to be slowing down real hard on the MS now.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by ketelone
I was doing mostly MS as opposed to churning cards. Lots of billpay, some MO.
I think the culprit was too many billpay per cycle (4-5 bill pay at WM per cycle).
Yes. In your first post I thought you had done ONE cycle of 5 bill pays. If you were ramping this up and doing 5 bill pays at walmart for several cycles this in my mind definitely pulled the plug.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Perhaps your INK business card transactions over time did not look "normal" for a real business. Try to manage your "business" transactions so that they pass a cursory sniff test. Banks hate it when your business card usage pattern looks like you are giving them the business.
I agree that you shouldn't be doing non "business" transaction with business cards, just not too sure why anyone would do a bill pay with the card...
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by joejoe2
Has anyone had a total shutdown like the one described at Chase with a bank they have a mortgage at? I was wondering if they would call in the mortgage
From personal experience they don't call in the mortgage. Everything else (personal and business checking and credit cards) is fair game.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:50 am
jk2

I need an advise to keep me from shutdown. I usually pay my bills before statement cut to avoid high utilization. Unfortunately, I missed a statement cut on one of the cards (CL is $1.5K, using it one per month to complete requirements for checking account) and the balance on the card was $1K which is 67.5% utilization. I paid the bill, but damage was made (-17 pts on EQ from creditkarma). Now I worry if other banks could see it (especially big banks, since they pull reports almost monthly). Should I lay low and not to apply for any cards or doing MS for few months? I am really worried.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jk2
I need an advise to keep me from shutdown. I usually pay my bills before statement cut to avoid high utilization. Unfortunately, I missed a statement cut on one of the cards (CL is $1.5K, using it one per month to complete requirements for checking account) and the balance on the card was $1K which is 67.5% utilization. I paid the bill, but damage was made (-17 pts on EQ from creditkarma). Now I worry if other banks could see it (especially big banks, since they pull reports almost monthly). Should I lay low and not to apply for any cards or doing MS for few months? I am really worried.
So you paid it off and the next month your score will go back up again. Don't stress over our score monthly, there are bigger issues to worry about.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 8:18 am
jk2

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
So you paid it off and the next month your score will go back up again. Don't stress over our score monthly, there are bigger issues to worry about.
Thanks. My concern is that such mark (even only on individual account) may be noticed by other banks and there problems may appear. But overall total utilization among all accounts is < 1%.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by jk2
Thanks. My concern is that such mark (even only on individual account) may be noticed by other banks and there problems may appear. But overall total utilization among all accounts is < 1%.
If that is what concerns you, now imagine 90% of the United States, which never pay their CC statements in full or if they do, they do it after they get the paper statement. They will all be hit hard by the banks.

No, banks do not have time to be checking your exact FICO score every month. They have better things to do like charge interests and lend money. Stop being so paranoid and just chill and enjoy life. Be thankful you are part of the small % of people that can pay its CC balance in full and get points/miles for doing so without getting hit with interest/fees.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jk2
So what is your concern? You planning on getting a loan, mortgage or other CC? If not don't worry about it. IF you are, then wait 30 days....
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
You'll never know which one thing triggered the manual review, but my guess is the 5 wal mart bill pays in one cycle. 5 payments in a month is probably bad in itself. I don't necessarily think $8k at OD is bad on it's own. But if you had more than 4 identical transactions numerically at OD in 7 days, it could have triggered the manual review. Identical transactions can mean something is fishy to financial institutions.
Why would identical transaction amounts cause concern? Don't business often have recurring orders? And speaking of gift cards... Aren't they valid business expenses? And, don't business card expenses typically have different patterns than personal cards?

Last edited by cdog999; Sep 8, 2016 at 10:27 am
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by carlitos
No, banks do not have time to be checking your exact FICO score every month. They have better things to do like charge interests and lend money. Stop being so paranoid and just chill and enjoy life. Be thankful you are part of the small % of people that can pay its CC balance in full and get points/miles for doing so without getting hit with interest/fees.
Actually, a lot of banks will soft pull fairly frequently to check up on you. It's certainly not a human looking, but a computer does glance at your reports fairly regularly.

Amex has been well known for this, and other banks are following suit. Pull a credit report and look in the section "Inquiries Shared Only With You". Some of these will be from credit monitoring services/insurance, etc, but you better believe when you see one of your banks in there, the computer does some sort of calculation on the fly to decide if the person in question should be looked at more closely.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Totally agree here. My credit score dipped 50-55 points after high utilization on ONE card. No worries, bounced right back. I am fine running high utilization unless planning to apply for credit cards. I have noticed NO ill effects and don't think banks concerned as long as paying it off.

I focus paying off the small amounts before statement closes as well as any balance over 30%, but sometimes, I rather have the float.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by CWAL
Actually, a lot of banks will soft pull fairly frequently to check up on you. It's certainly not a human looking, but a computer does glance at your reports fairly regularly.

Amex has been well known for this, and other banks are following suit. Pull a credit report and look in the section "Inquiries Shared Only With You". Some of these will be from credit monitoring services/insurance, etc, but you better believe when you see one of your banks in there, the computer does some sort of calculation on the fly to decide if the person in question should be looked at more closely.
Regular soft pulls by banks are usually done to do a Change in Terms to raise your interest rate, which has no affect if you pay in full each month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.